How often does your screen power OFF?

How often does the car power down completely under any circumstances, parked more than 10 minutes?

• Never - it's always on

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • 1-24% of the time

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • 25-50% of the time

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • 51-74% of the time

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • 75-100% of the time

Votes: 11 12.9%

• Total voters
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think you're on to something. The "no fuses" design of this car is very interesting, but it does seem like a large number of problems are related to 12V system glitches. Maybe this is one of those places where a software fix is possible, but I have just enough of a hobbyist understanding of electronics to be slightly worried that they might not have made the hardware side of things quite robust enough (or the tolerances vary too much from car to car that some people are getting bad ones).
If it's an e-fuse that is tripping and crashing the computer, then that gives me hope that they can fix this in Firmware. But I'm concerned that they keep insisting that the computer is just going into Deep Sleep when it is clear its rebooting. And the talk of fixing it by making it boot faster rather than solve the underlying problem is even more troubling. Let's hope that isn't true.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just updated to 2018.50 7e49f8a

Same behaviour. This time it took about 30 minutes of retrying before the app would remote connect. Not sure of internal car behaviour yet...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just updated to 2018.50 7e49f8a

Same behaviour. This time it took about 30 minutes of retrying before the app would remote connect. Not sure of internal car behaviour yet...
Not expecting a fix until 2018.52 but good to know.

_Travis_

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have only had the car for a few weeks, but occasionally I get in and the car will not wake up until I reboot it by pushing the scroll wheels on the steering wheel. Today it has happened twice already. Has anyone else had this happen that often and should I be concerned?
You might have the same problem as me. My car does a hard reboot almost every time I turn it on. I unlock the doors, I sit down, nothing happens, the screen stays blank. It will stay blank forever. Nothing happens until I press on the brake pedal. I haven't tried pushing the steering wheel buttons. The screen turns on twenty seconds after I press the brake pedal, and two minutes after that I have audio and navigation. My car has been doing this multiple times per day, every day since I received it three months ago.

I talked to phone tech support, and they told me the car has a problem with its sleep/wake cycle, something that could not be fixed over-air. Whenever the computer tries to go to sleep, it crashes instead, and it doesn't reboot until I manually reboot it. They told me to bring it in for service, and they told me they would contact the service center and tell them what to do, since I already brought it in for service previously and the service center blew me off and said they couldn't reproduce the problem and whatever it was it would be fixed by a future firmware update. For the record, if you have the same problem that I have, it will not be fixed by firmware updates, it cannot be fixed by mobile repair, it is something that has to be fixed at a service center. Call tech support (1-877-798-3752) and ask them to take a look at it remotely, and schedule a service appointment.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You might have the same problem as me. My car does a hard reboot almost every time I turn it on. I unlock the doors, I sit down, nothing happens, the screen stays blank. It will stay blank forever. Nothing happens until I press on the brake pedal. I haven't tried pushing the steering wheel buttons. The screen turns on twenty seconds after I press the brake pedal, and two minutes after that I have audio and navigation. My car has been doing this multiple times per day, every day since I received it three months ago.

I talked to phone tech support, and they told me the car has a problem with its sleep/wake cycle, something that could not be fixed over-air. Whenever the computer tries to go to sleep, it crashes instead, and it doesn't reboot until I manually reboot it. They told me to bring it in for service, and they told me they would contact the service center and tell them what to do, since I already brought it in for service previously and the service center blew me off and said they couldn't reproduce the problem and whatever it was it would be fixed by a future firmware update. For the record, if you have the same problem that I have, it will not be fixed by firmware updates, it cannot be fixed by mobile repair, it is something that has to be fixed at a service center. Call tech support (1-877-798-3752) and ask them to take a look at it remotely, and schedule a service appointment.
So did they fix it? Or have you not been in yet?

justaute

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's happening to me daily, multiple times. Local service is supposedly doing a distance diagnosis. It's not good, no turn signals, no lights, no wipers. no speedometer.
That is serious. If I were you, I would explore the Lemon Law option -- what you are experiencing is dangerous. I had a service appointment today and the outcome was basically wain-n-see as it happened only once to me.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's happening to me daily, multiple times. Local service is supposedly doing a distance diagnosis. It's not good, no turn signals, no lights, no wipers. no speedometer.
Keep calling them to make sure you're the "squeaky wheel". They need to make that right for you.
That is serious. If I were you, I would explore the Lemon Law option.
Too early for that. That generally only applies when they've attempted to fix the same problem three times without success.

justaute

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Keep calling them to make sure you're the "squeaky wheel". They need to make that right for you.
Too early for that. That generally only applies when they've attempted to fix the same problem three times without success.
Perhaps. Just saying that driving without the basic functional controls and indicators is dangerous -- no car manufacturer should have a product out there on the road without addressing it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Actually, your problem is slightly different than mine in that you have to press the brake for your screen to reboot and start up. My reboot is triggered about 5 seconds after I open the door. Maybe a different problem, maybe not. Very interested to know what they replace on yours, especially if mine is not fixed by 2018.52.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Started happening for me after the firmware updated to .50. Doesn’t happen every time but the majority of times I open the door (usually after having driven for a while and parked at a store or something), the T will appear on the screen. Usually takes only a few seconds so not too big a deal compared to some of your stories.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm still waiting for my second service appointment. There's a five week waiting list. I'll update here when I have the results.
aaaaand I just tested today -- I got in the car no brake pedal and it indeed didn't boot up.

What was interesting however...I waited a minute for the not-boot-sequence, gave up waiting, then hit the brake. The car slow booted as usual but it only took probably 15-20 seconds instead of the usual 30. The LTE connected 'right away' -which was in line with the initial 90 seconds from door open (but not from brake pedal boot sequence).
Intriguing.

Further: Did as @_Travis_ suggested and spoke with roadside, got escalated from 'did you try a reboot' level 1 to somewhat helpful level2 who looked into the logs and saw no indication of a slowboot, despite it happening 20 minutes prior to the call. The car had made no log despite it happening during the same drive trip that I was currently calling about. L2 said he found a support article for them that said what to look for in the logs, but didn't see any of the errors associated with the known problem. He further escalated a ticket to engineering, and they will get back to me in a week. that's more progress than the months of waiting I've had from emailing service.

Further Further: the issue noted above by L2 is supposedly fixed by a future firmware update that 'I do not yet have'. Frustrating that they can't hit the magic button to escalate the car to get that known fix if that is in fact the case.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have had my Model 3 Dual Motor for just about a month now. Since the 2nd day, the computer keeps crashing multiple times a day. At first, I didn't pay much attention but lately its getting worse. Two weeks ago, I started to login bug reports. I even took it to the service center and they didn't even bother looking at the car. They simply told me to drive around and they have it "logging". The issue is random.

Anyone else is having frequent crashes?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
More times than I can count the display in my model 3 is off when I get into the car. After about 30 seconds or so I see the Tesla logo and the screen comes to life. Is this normal? It's like the the whole screen is off and then boots up when I get into the car. Is this anything related to the temperature where it shuts off the display?

Thanks in advance, Scott