How often does your screen power OFF?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

How often does the car power down completely under any circumstances, parked more than 10 minutes?

• Never - it's always on

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • 1-24% of the time

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • 25-50% of the time

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • 51-74% of the time

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • 75-100% of the time

Votes: 11 12.9%

• Total voters

Travelwolf

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
it was not a software bug for me. it was an issue with one of the computer modules.

kknogas

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
it was not a software bug for me. it was an issue with one of the computer modules.
Did you have the exact same issue as getting the black screen often when you get in the car. What did the service center say the issue was? Did they have to replace the computer module? I'm having the exact same issue.

Reactions: Gonzo

Tmo6

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I see the same issue often on my model 3. Sometimes
(sometimes even within a gap of 5 minutes of being parked), the screen takes about 20 seconds to turn on starting the the Tesla logo, but you can still drive before the screen turns on. When this screen delay occurs , once the screen turns on, it takes about a minute and half to two minutes to get the LTE signal. Also, sometimes, when I open the Tesla app, it shows vehicle connection error after 45 seconds, have to refresh and the same error shows again after 45 seconds, and it connects to the car only on the third attempt, which is around 2 minutes from opening the app. It's probably the same issue of the 20 second screen on delay plus the minute and half of the car getting the LTE signal. At the end of last week, for 3 days, this issue didn't occur even once, but the battery was also draining 1% every 4 hours, 6% every 24 hours, which it wasn't doing before. But now, the battery drain issue isn't there anymore, but the screen delay issue is back.

I had the mobile service technician check out this issue while he was here for some other minor issues, and he disconnected the 12v battery and reconnected it and pushed the latest software update to see if it fixes the issue, but it didn't. He said, it's normal for the car to sometimes take upto a minute to boot depending on the state the car is in at that moment. I mentioned to him that it's happening frequently and he said he'll update the case and let me know when he hears back.

Does anyone else have any updates on this from Tesla and if it's been fixed?
I continue to have the same issue on 36.2

Reactions: 1 person
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I also have this problem at random times with no particular pattern. I've had my Model 3 just about a month. I have not called the service center yet about it, but will if it keeps up.

Travelwolf

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Did you have the exact same issue as getting the black screen often when you get in the car. What did the service center say the issue was? Did they have to replace the computer module? I'm having the exact same issue.

Yes, it would flash on when I first open the door and then turn off right away and stay off for a few minutes before coming back on. I had to have it sent to the tech team and start giving them time stamps for each incident so they could look it up in the code. After several incidents they determined it was a bad module causing the car to "go offline," which is also why I was having occasional phone connect issues where I had to touch the door handle then wait a few seconds and touch it again to get it to unlock and why the LTE and radio went out occasionally.

They had to order a new computer module to be sent to the SC and replace it. I also had them replace my headlight at the same time (the eyebrow piece was only half on but I hadn't worried about it and figured I would wait until I was taking it in for something else since it wasnt a huge deal). They were able to do both the headlight and the module for this in one day.

Full disclosure-they had the car for 2 days bc while it was there they tested my reverse autopark that had not been working and found that module was bad too so they had to order that one to be shipped overnight. I didn't mind the extra day bc now I can actually use the autopark feature and the screen stuff is fixed.

Dano9258

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My model 3 has had this issue as well. Doesn't seem to matter how long I'm out of the car, just when I get back in, black screen. Then I wait about 45 seconds and it eventually comes back on with the T. The SC just replaced my whole display when I had it in the shop last week and it's still doing it. So I don't think it's a screen issue.......

kknogas

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes, it would flash on when I first open the door and then turn off right away and stay off for a few minutes before coming back on. I had to have it sent to the tech team and start giving them time stamps for each incident so they could look it up in the code. After several incidents they determined it was a bad module causing the car to "go offline," which is also why I was having occasional phone connect issues where I had to touch the door handle then wait a few seconds and touch it again to get it to unlock and why the LTE and radio went out occasionally.

They had to order a new computer module to be sent to the SC and replace it. I also had them replace my headlight at the same time (the eyebrow piece was only half on but I hadn't worried about it and figured I would wait until I was taking it in for something else since it wasnt a huge deal). They were able to do both the headlight and the module for this in one day.

Full disclosure-they had the car for 2 days bc while it was there they tested my reverse autopark that had not been working and found that module was bad too so they had to order that one to be shipped overnight. I didn't mind the extra day bc now I can actually use the autopark feature and the screen stuff is fixed.

My issue is a little different than yours. In my case, the screen doesn't flash initially when the door is opened. It's just black and the T tesla logo shows up after 20 seconds. This happens only a few times during the day, not all the time. Other times, the screen is on instantly when the door is opened.

Carmonkey

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My issue is a little different than yours. In my case, the screen doesn't flash initially when the door is opened. It's just black and the T tesla logo shows up after 20 seconds. This happens only a few times during the day, not all the time. Other times, the screen is on instantly when the door is opened.

Yes, this is my problem too. It happens about 50% of the time. They looked at the logs, came out with mobile service and replaced the connectivity module and it didn't help. then they started telling me that 30 seconds is a normal boot up time. I finally got them to understand that it shouldn't be rebooting half of the time I get in the car, it should be waking from sleep. They are now (finally) looking at the logs to see what might be happening when I walk away form the car and it locks. Something is either crashing or shutting down the computer instead of putting it to sleep.

I will keep you posted if they find anything. I find it hard to believe this is software related though.

Carmonkey

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes, this is my problem too. It happens about 50% of the time. They looked at the logs, came out with mobile service and replaced the connectivity module and it didn't help. then they started telling me that 30 seconds is a normal boot up time. I finally got them to understand that it shouldn't be rebooting half of the time I get in the car, it should be waking from sleep. They are now (finally) looking at the logs to see what might be happening when I walk away form the car and it locks. Something is either crashing or shutting down the computer instead of putting it to sleep.

I will keep you posted if they find anything. I find it hard to believe this is software related though.

Okay, while I was writing that post I heard this back from Tesla Service:

"Good morning,

I’ve been in touch a bit more with engineering and may have a little more of an explanation for you. First off, everything we are seeing with your vehicle is definitely firmware related at this point and does not seem to be a hardware problem. One of the issues you mentioned with being out of the vehicle for a short period of time and it taking a long time to boot – this is a known firmware issue that is still in the works to improve. I was given the explanation that initially the Model 3 was not being put into a ‘deep sleep’ mode at all but clients were experiencing a fairly large drop in their battery overnight, so they changed the parameters to prevent this battery drop. This is what you are experiencing at random, the vehicle is at times going into that ‘deep sleep’ mode. There was an old firmware that had the boot times down to under 1 minute, and then they improved upon that to drop the time down to approximately 25 seconds. The ultimate goal is to have these times down to less than 10 seconds, and that firmware fix is still in the works and the release date is still TBD. The reboot you experienced is also related to the same firmware bugs, and is no cause for concern in relation to hardware failure. As these vehicle are essentially giant computers, there is a ton going on behind the scenes during that boot up sequence and just like a laptop, they can freak out a little at times and require that reboot. Luckily, unlike any other vehicle on the road, your vehicle is able to get these constant updates over-the-air and performance can and will improve over time as we iron out some of these firmware glitches.

Have a great week"

kknogas

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This sounds a little reassuring. It's a little odd that if it's a firmware issue, all Model 3's should be experiencing the same issue and also as much as we are, which is 50% of the time. Not every Model 3's seem to be having this issue, based on what I've heard. The rear view camera is not usable until those 20 seconds and by then you have already reversed and you'll have to wait for those 20 seconds if you want to use the rear camera. The other major issue is with the LTE signal when this deep sleep occurs. The LTE takes another minute and a half to get the signal and the navigation and traffic doesn't work without it. Also, connecting to the car through the app takes 2 minutes from when you open the app in this case (20 seconds for the T logo + 1.5 minutes for the LTE signal), which is annoying. My other EV connects within 10 seconds through the app all the time. Even if they reduce the boot up time to less than 10 seconds in the future firmware updates, they need to get the LTE signal immediately like when it doesn't go into deep sleep mode.

Tmo6

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Okay, while I was writing that post I heard this back from Tesla Service:

"Good morning,

I’ve been in touch a bit more with engineering and may have a little more of an explanation for you. First off, everything we are seeing with your vehicle is definitely firmware related at this point and does not seem to be a hardware problem. One of the issues you mentioned with being out of the vehicle for a short period of time and it taking a long time to boot – this is a known firmware issue that is still in the works to improve. I was given the explanation that initially the Model 3 was not being put into a ‘deep sleep’ mode at all but clients were experiencing a fairly large drop in their battery overnight, so they changed the parameters to prevent this battery drop. This is what you are experiencing at random, the vehicle is at times going into that ‘deep sleep’ mode. There was an old firmware that had the boot times down to under 1 minute, and then they improved upon that to drop the time down to approximately 25 seconds. The ultimate goal is to have these times down to less than 10 seconds, and that firmware fix is still in the works and the release date is still TBD. The reboot you experienced is also related to the same firmware bugs, and is no cause for concern in relation to hardware failure. As these vehicle are essentially giant computers, there is a ton going on behind the scenes during that boot up sequence and just like a laptop, they can freak out a little at times and require that reboot. Luckily, unlike any other vehicle on the road, your vehicle is able to get these constant updates over-the-air and performance can and will improve over time as we iron out some of these firmware glitches.

Have a great week"
SUPER HELPFUL! At least now I know that they are working on it!

Frully

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'll put my name in the ring for the full-computer-off behaviour and it's driving me insane. Just had a long talk with service after about 30 emails where they explain the same, it is normal and expected...every time I park it will go to full deep sleep, even plugged in.

...the car has no connectivity from the app because LTE is off every time I park it...so I can't preheat in the winter.
When I get in the computer isn't on yet so it won't select my driver profile.
There is no lte connectivity for the first 2 minutes after first unlock as the modem boots so no good navigation or traffic awareness

I can power the drivetrain and go without any onscreen aides or backup camera...

There is NO way that this is intentional.

James M

Country
Country
I have this problem as well (Aug 2018 P3D), however I have found a workaround:

I signed up for TeslaFi which polls the car apis fairly regularly. This seems to prevent the car from entering deep sleep mode. I also tuned the TeslaFi settings to allow the car to sleep at night to minimize drain...

giguy

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What is "teslaFi"?
I have this problem as well (Aug 2018 P3D), however I have found a workaround:

I signed up for TeslaFi which polls the car apis fairly regularly. This seems to prevent the car from entering deep sleep mode. I also tuned the TeslaFi settings to allow the car to sleep at night to minimize drain...

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What is "teslaFi"?

TeslaFi is an online service that provides detailed statistics and data about your car, including drive logs, charging, energy consumption, and cost of operation. It also allows you to automate certain tasks, such as telling the car to pre-heat itself every weekday before you leave for work. It's a must-have service for data geeks, but also a very useful service for non-geeks as well. :)

They offer a free trial if you're interested in seeing what it can do. There's also a lot of discussion of TeslaFi in this thread.

TheMagician

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My car has graduated from having the blank screen when I get in the car but still letting me drive away (I use the key card to unlock it but it’s also happened multiple times when it was unlocked too) to now it will be completely dead for 45-60 seconds and does nothing (and doesn’t register laying card on top of console either).

The screen will then boot up and if I try and put it into drive at that point; it asks me to tap the card on the console. It’s not registering that I just unlocked it with the card or laid the card on the console less than a minute ago. Has happened twice in the last week. I took note of the last time it happened and gave it to Tesla when I put it in the shop for a couple other issues.

Last edited:

Frully

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Backstory: Got the car 8 weeks ago (still love it, even with this problem).
First 2 weeks, the car was ALWAYS on, quick responding to phone key with the screen (and all car features) on within seconds of opening the door, 100% of the time.
After 2 weeks, (with no firmware update or changes) it started sporadically powering down completely when parked. Phone key still works and lets us in the car and lets us drive -- but it's 30 seconds for the car to boot up from full black screen, then Tesla logo, then basic screen functionality, then 90 seconds later LTE features.
I understand there was a vampire drain problem and the firmware addressed this by going to low power mode more aggressively...but some people seem to get it, and others never have the problem. I started getting the power downs with no firmware update. Since the issue showed up I've had 5 firmware updates, and the issue persists. If it's battery saving...it even happens while plugged in and actively charging.

Now, almost all the time getting in the car it's completely off, and we have to wait (30 seconds++) for it to boot up to have sound, HVAC, heated seats, or garage door control. Internet features (streaming audio, live traffic, intelligent nav, voice control) have to wait for LTE to connect, 90 more seconds. Using the app to connect to the car times out 2-3 times before finally connecting (while the car boots).

Happens whether it's:
  • +25C out or -10C
  • good or no wifi
  • good or no LTE
  • Bluetooth Key or keys removed and nfc only

Frequently:
Stop for take-out coffee 10 minutes, car off.
Stop for shopping 30 minutes, car off.
Spend all day at work, car off.
Plugged in overnight at home, phone key 'connected' in app, car off

My very specific question to help understand if it's just me, a handful of people, or everyone: "How often does your parked model 3 'tablet' power down completely on its own after being parked more than a handful of minutes"?
This is not to report other screen broken issues - this is specifically just for car power save mode.
My personal response is 75+% of the time it's off.

Edit: Long Range Dual Motor non-P built August 2018

[mod updated title from ‘car’ to ‘screen’]

Last edited:

Eli

Country
Country
I've never seen a cold boot (black screen, Tesla logo) when getting into the car, and I've had it since May. I don't think that's normal behavior, it might be crashing and rebooting when coming out of sleep.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You shouldn't see the Tesla logon on the boot screen when waking from sleep. This is, in reality, AFAIK, the display computer hitting an error and having to reboot. For me, when it does happen, it often happens on power-on, but it is rare.

Your "power down completely" is a little misnomer. If the car powers down completely, you can not get in it. So, your car isn't power down completely.

In general, the car will go to sleep a little after it locks. At this time, accessing with the app will take a little bit longer, but often, most of the app delay is your app getting a connection. If the car is not going to sleep, first, terminate the use of all third-party apps. And then call Tesla up. Something is wrong.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.