How often does your screen power OFF?

How often does the car power down completely under any circumstances, parked more than 10 minutes?

• Never - it's always on

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • 1-24% of the time

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • 25-50% of the time

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • 51-74% of the time

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • 75-100% of the time

Votes: 11 12.9%

• Total voters
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have only had the car for a few weeks, but occasionally I get in and the car will not wake up until I reboot it by pushing the scroll wheels on the steering wheel. Today it has happened twice already. Has anyone else had this happen that often and should I be concerned?

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My issue was definitely milder than yours. Whenever I shift into reverse, the backup camera window shows up black, with only the animated 'guide lines' showing up (the lines which point where your car will go, depending on how you turn the steering wheel). After one second, the backup camera view comes on. I mentioned this to the Mobile Tech when they came to fix an unrelated issue. They pushed a firmware update to my car, but it still happens... usually when I shift into reverse after quite a bit of driving, like 30-40mins.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same backup camera "lag" happen. It will be black for about 2 secs or so until it comes on. I went ahead and sent a question to Tesla through my account to see what they say about it. I will be getting in it after work in about an hour and see if it happens again. If it does I will probably call.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yesterday I opened the door after work (so bluetooth key worked fine) and the display was black, but soon after I sat down it showed the T and was booting up.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I have only had the car for a few weeks, but occasionally I get in and the car will not wake up until I reboot it by pushing the scroll wheels on the steering wheel. Today it has happened twice already. Has anyone else had this happen that often and should I be concerned?
I get the same thing. I also found that instead of rebooting (double scroll wheel) I wait a few seconds and it comes on. Sometimes I don’t have the patience for that so I just press the brake pedal down and shift into gear. By the time I’ve driven a few feet it’s back up. Wasn’t sure if this was normal (happening to everybody) or if I should ask Tesla to resolve it.

fsKotte

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Happened to me, too. Today. Twice. Once in the morning, and then a second time when I drove it to lunch at work. I did notice that the car runs, and you can put it into reverse, etc. I'll have to try the driving it a bit trick and see if the screen just kicks back on when I do that.

It is, however, a not-acceptable long-term condition, though. Will definitely contact service if I see this very much more.

RocketRay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just happened to me but the reboot procedure doesn't restore the screen.

The car works, the A/C is on, the music is on, but the screen is black. I've tried rebooting (brake, hold scroll buttons down ~20 seconds) several times but it just comes back to the same status: driveable, A/C on, music on, black screen. The screen seems to very slightly flicker during the reboot (like power is off then on) but still black.

Any other way to reboot it? Like a power cycle instead of just CTRL-ALT-DEL?

Sumiguchi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I get the same thing. I also found that instead of rebooting (double scroll wheel) I wait a few seconds and it comes on. Sometimes I don’t have the patience for that so I just press the brake pedal down and shift into gear. By the time I’ve driven a few feet it’s back up. Wasn’t sure if this was normal (happening to everybody) or if I should ask Tesla to resolve it.
Same for me. I submitted a question through my online Tesla Account about it - no response yet. I can understand if the car is sitting 8 hours unplugged while I'm at work, but sometimes this happens during a 10 minute pitstop at a coffee shop.

Triangles

Country
Country
My display has done this twice. The first time I just put it in gear and drove off. I didn't want to be stranded where I was. A couple hundred yards after pulling out on to the road the screen magically came to life. The second time it did it, the screen came on a couple seconds after putting the car in drive. I figure if it keeps up I'll have them fix it. I also had noticed after the 2018.21 software update there seems to be more of a lag for the back up camera turning on (screen goes black for a second or two).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car exactly the same problem. After a few reboots, the screen wouldn't come on at all and the car had to be towed in.

Did you ever get an analysis or ETA on your car? Mine has been in the shop since Thursday (5 days after I picked it up), and at this point, they've had the car in the shop longer than I had it in my possession..

I can't get a clear answer on what the problem is, but I'm starting to lose my patience.

--Les

Turns out the display is toast. So they kept it and they'll update me this afternoon with the ETA.

They gave me a loaner Model X P90D. :)

Last edited:

RocketRay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you ever get an analysis or ETA on your car? Mine has been in the shop since Thursday (5 days after I picked it up), and at this point, they've had the car in the shop longer than I had it in my possession..
The service estimate says:

Concern: Customer: Touchscreen LCD is blank but is still responsive to touch. Correction: Touchscreen General Diagnosis

But that's it, no ETA. I called Costa Mesa this morning and talked to someone, he said it'll be in the garage "soon".

So far it's bounced around the back lot a couple times but that's it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ahh. So that's a key difference. My screen was blacked out and unresponsive. they've had mine parked inside since Saturday, supposedly waiting for advice from Fremont on how to proceed.

Good luck.

The service estimate says:

Concern: Customer: Touchscreen LCD is blank but is still responsive to touch. Correction: Touchscreen General Diagnosis

But that's it, no ETA. I called Costa Mesa this morning and talked to someone, he said it'll be in the garage "soon".

So far it's bounced around the back lot a couple times but that's it.

Triangles

Country
Country
LOL being impatient after 5 days? My short range EV was at the dealer for 6 weeks. Others have had theirs at the dealer for 5+ months. I would think up to a couple weeks is reasonable. But hey the TM3 is awesome so I guess I understand your impatience. As noted above the legacy manufactures have set the bar so low I think Tesla would hav to try really hard to do worse.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have purchased at least 30 new cars over the years, and while I have had a few initial quality problems, none of them have ever taken more than a day or two to resolve -- so no, the bar isn't that low, and no, I'm not being impatient. "a couple of weeks" is not at all reasonable.

LOL being impatient after 5 days? My short range EV was at the dealer for 6 weeks. Others have had theirs at the dealer for 5+ months. I would think up to a couple weeks is reasonable. But hey the TM3 is awesome so I guess I understand your impatience. As noted above the legacy manufactures have set the bar so low I think Tesla would hav to try really hard to do worse.

Triangles

Country
Country
How many of those 30 were electric? Hey I was just trying to bring your expectations back to reality. I guess if you expect everything to be resolved in a couple days or less then all I can say is you will likely be disappointed. Believe me I would love to be wrong on this and I hope they get your TM3 squared away immediately if not sooner.

HeyEllwood

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had the black screen a few times when putting the car in reverse and also the back up camera having to "warm up"..I usually power down the car and let it boot itself back up and it than works as it should..

I feel like at times it goes into a deeper sleep and takes more time to boot up. After seeing everyone else having the same thing I think it may be a bigger issue or is acting as intended?

But seeing what RocketRay said about it being toast is not helping me think that everyone who is experiencing the issue will sooner or later be toast as well :(