How much did it end up costing you to get an outlet installed?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thank you so much for pulling the riverside one. At least it gives me an idea. I was thinking the permit was going to be like $300 just because.
Well.. yeah.. I finally got a hold of my city and got the fee schedule.
Elect-Residential Electrical Permit (No Upgrade) $214.71
Elect-Residential Electrical Safety/Meter Reset $339.97
Elect-Residential Electrical Service Upgrade $188.19
Elect-Residential Solar Photovoltaic System $425.54

So really it's cheaper to get a permit to upgrade my whole house panel then it would be to add a NEMA 14-50. So pretty much the permit increases cost of the install by 60%. One would think the city would want to make getting permits etc easy and not overpriced so people actually do them.

But I did find out the permit to add a barn would be $1568.44 and that is the same as adding a greenhouse.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Around $250, including permit, for NEMA 14-50 outlet next to breaker box in garage (Salem, OR). Quotes up to $600.

GeorgeP

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Anyone in GTA, ON installed wall charger for Model 3 yet?
If so would you mind sharing process and cost?

Thanks!

LoboMesa

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Remember there are a lot of variables in price from location, to complexity, to distance of the run, to your electrical service.

Mine was $500 - $150 (30% federal tax credit), so $350

~20 foot run from the panel (in the garage), through the attic, down the wall and to the new receptacle.
Location, Broward County, FL
Up here in JAX, I paid $450 yesterday for a nearly identical job. No tax credit this year, sadly.

phigment

Country
Country
In Waterloo:
Getting mine installed tomorrow. Got three quotes for the same job. Install a 100 amp subpanel 50 ft from main. Then 20 ft 60 amp line to hpwc.

The three quotes (not including tax or cost of buying the hpwc):
$2700
$1800
$1550

Last edited:
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Anyone in GTA, ON installed wall charger for Model 3 yet?
If so would you mind sharing process and cost?

Thanks!
In Toronto -
I had to get my panel upgraded 100a to 200a so approximate costs:
$2700 includes hydro and esa inspection
$650 Hydro disconnect and reconnect
$800 Installation of Tesla Wall Charger (including cable run from the new panel about 40') includes esa

Country
Country
I paid $225, located in suburbs of Chgo. They placed it next to the panel in the garage. Very easy job. If I wanted to place it on the other side of the garage , about 25 feet away, the job went up to $650, so it was easier to switch sides I park on.

Now I want my "VIN"!!!

RandyS

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
ng0,
call Ms. Sparky Electric and tell her I sent you...She'll give you a good price quote and tell you what your options are....

RandyS

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
$320. here in Scottsdale. The electrician took less than one hour and told me the parts were $12 so I figured he made $300/hour!
Jeff, I'm not an electrician, but to be fair...There's more to the job than being at your house for an hour or less.

What about:
* Scoping the job to make an estimate (he made an earlier visit, right?)
* Travel time for two visits
* Getting parts (or re-stocking the truck)
* Paperwork
* Insurance
* Vehicle, fuel
* Some time for people he visits that don't hire him
etc.

I'm guessing he has a base cost just to roll the truck for your job that incorporates all of the items above and more...

You're paying for his experience, training, and expertise as well...

Country
Country
Remember there are a lot of variables in price from location, to complexity, to distance of the run, to your electrical service.

Mine was $500 - $150 (30% federal tax credit), so $350

~20 foot run from the panel (in the garage), through the attic, down the wall and to the new receptacle.
Location, Broward County, FL
Wait a minute . . . 30%?! (Slaps forehead). I just got my HPWC installed a month ago for a pretty penny (long run) up here in Port St. Lucie. Can't believe I missed this! Too late to take advantage? Full disclosure: I bought a CPO Model S -- not a new Model 3 -- in case that makes a difference.

Nikola

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I went with the Tesla Wall Connector. From the invoice:

"Run new dedicated 90 amp/240 volt circuit from main service panel in surface-mounted conduit along wall into carport. Run #3 copper wire inside conduit to an outdoor-rated disconnect switch as required by National Electric Code. Run additional conduit from disconnect switch to customer-supplied Tesla Wall Connector and program for high amperage charging. Furnish permit and all required drawings/calculations for installation of the new circuit."

Length of the run was about 35 feet from breaker panel to Wall Connector. Total $1,337 + the cost of the Tesla Wall Connector.

A 50-amp outlet would have been much cheaper, but I went with the Tesla Wall Connector for the convenience of not needing to to pull out the Mobile Connector, and faster charging.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wait a minute . . . 30%?! (Slaps forehead). I just got my HPWC installed a month ago for a pretty penny (long run) up here in Port St. Lucie. Can't believe I missed this! Too late to take advantage? Full disclosure: I bought a CPO Model S -- not a new Model 3 -- in case that makes a difference.
Per @Daniel D. a few posts up the credit for charger installation ended 12/31/17.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
$242
Being an EE I installed myself. Only recommended for those comfortable working in their breaker boxes.

Wire $126 https://amzn.to/2w83UAn
Outdoor 14-50 $39 https://amzn.to/2FG9tFu
GFCI breaker $77 (as needed for my box from Home Depot)

Even if you don't plan to DIY, it helps to know materials costs so you can judge if the quote is worth it for labor)

*I should note I plan to get a second Tesla charger to keep connected to the outlet...additional $350

GeorgeP

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@JWardell what capacity did you have in your panel 100A / 200A?
Am planning to do myself as well, if I have capacity in the panel, reading the WC manual it says a 30A breaker will do, which means we can adjust the charging current to 24A on the WC.
As I’m not certified, will get one of my friends to certify.

Mistersandman

Country
Country
Paid $550 in SoCal to install a Tesla wall charger in our garage. The electrician tapped off a sub-panel from the laundry room above the garage and ran a 40A line. To save me from having to do a lot of drywall patching and repair he was able to snake the line through the walls and under a crawl space. Straight line distance from panel to the wall charger is about 15’ but total length of wire run was closer to 30’. Most electricians would probably take the easy way and make Swiss cheese out of my walls and maybe do it for less but to save me the trouble I was willing to pay more. He was also patient enough to work with me in building a box to mount it on since it was wired to a post in the middle-back of the garage.