How much did it end up costing you to get an outlet installed?

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Your electrician is about twice what he should be, and your government is out of line by at least 4 times!
I just got quoted an amazing 767 for a NEMA outlet installed right next to the main panel + 599 for permit and inspection.
This is in the bay area east bay.
How is this in any way reasonable?

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I just got quoted an amazing 767 for a NEMA outlet installed right next to the main panel + 599 for permit and inspection.
It CAN happen.. the permit should be regulated and I would ask for the permit pass through, unless they are doing ALL the filing and application approvals.

I've seen rates for NEMA 14-50 in bay area between lows of 400$ and highs of $1500 for pretty near the panel, maybe a 2 meter run would be reasonable.

pdp1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That seems like a rip off. I live in the East Bay too and my permit and inspection was $250, which I already thought was ridiculous. Either you live in a city with really crazy permit rates or the installer is marking it up like crazy.

However, the difference of $168 between the quoted permit price and total job price seems somewhat more reasonable. If the outlet is next to main panel, the materials will probably cost around $60-$75, if you get quality parts and count any drywall patching material needed that comes with a flush mount outlet (you could go cheaper if you, for example, get a cheaper outlet or do a surface mount). That leaves about $95 for about an hour, or two max, worth of work.

EDIT: I just re-read your post, and the $599 permit is ON TOP of the labor???? so like $1366 for an outlet right next to the panel? Ok yeah, you're totally getting ripped off IMO... if you do something like that yourself, you should be able to it for less than $350, which would include a permit in the city I live in.

Dadof5

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got a quote for $400 for a NEMA with a 15' run in central NJ. Panel is on one side of garage door, went to the other side. Ended up doing the HWPC for $50 more (plus the cost of the HWPC) for faster charging speeds. Permits were additional.

P-Lo801

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here are the details for the install of my NEMA 14-50 Outlet: Add new 50 amp circuit and run approximately 50' 6 AWG wire through exposed conduit to
NEMA 14-50 outlet with outdoor cover mounted on the side of the house behind the gate.

Got one quote for $885 from the closest Tesla certified electrician, then got another quote from a more local electrician for $550. I'm sure you can guess which one I went with. I'm located in northern California, in Sacramento.

Jen

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
$5000 CAD for the electrical near Vancouver, BC.

House only had 125A service, and I needed to upgrade to 200A, full panel upgrade and 100ft cable trenched to the detached garage's new 100A sub-panel.

The whole experience was more than I expected.

This is similar to what I will need done. I was hoping it wouldn’t be as much as 5k... I still need to get an electrician in for a quote. Just doing my research ahead of time. Looks like 100A panel and out of room.
Ontario 🇨🇦