How much did it end up costing you to get an outlet installed?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is about 3' from the panel. the hidden conduit is an option I wanted where they hide all the cables and everything in the wall, this way it will look like it came with the house.
THREE FEET! Wow, yeah, that's really over-priced. You're talking about <$100 in parts. A run that short shouldn't cost more then ~$500, add another $500 for the wall connector and then ~$200 to patch any drywall repairs. Seems like they marked up your price by at least $500.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
THREE FEET! Wow, yeah, that's really over-priced. You're talking about <$100 in parts. A run that short shouldn't cost more then ~$500, add another $500 for the wall connector and then ~$200 to patch any drywall repairs. Seems like they marked up your price by at least $500.
I'm guessing they are adding in the permit. This is a Tesla quote because there are no Tesla-certified electricians here. I am hoping that the price will change when they see how easy it will be.

GTV6

Country
Country
$100 because luckily my panel was exactly where my port so. So the distance of the run from the box to the outlet was simply enough to clear it. BTW no permit as I’m in a very small town and my electrician is completely trust worthy/done many Tesla installs in bigger places that are inspected.

Protect1989

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How are y’all getting this done for so cheap??

I have a new townhouse built in 2018. Panel is in my garage. I’ve gotten two different quotes and both were about $1500 (including the Tesla wall charger, installation, running of conduit, etc)

Even a simple Nema 14-15 was going to cost a minimum of $500

Edit: guess I should add that I am in Dallas. Panel has more than enough room for additional breakers and house has more than enough power to handle it. Permits are required but that’s only about $150

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't tell them that you're getting a Tesla charger installed. That pegs you as a rich dude who will probably pay the price premium.

Tell them that you want a place to plug in your MIG welder instead. ;)

OR... a NEMA 14-50 outlet so your parents can plug in their RV when they come to visit. :)

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I have a new townhouse built in 2018. Panel is in my garage. I’ve gotten two different quotes and both were about $1500 (including the Tesla wall charger, installation, running of conduit, etc)

Even a simple Nema 14-15 was going to cost a minimum of $500

Edit: guess I should add that I am in Dallas. Panel has more than enough room for additional breakers and house has more than enough power to handle it. Permits are required but that’s only about $150
I think Garsh is probably correct. Your NEMA 14-50 price looks fairly reasonable. $500, minus permit($150), minus materials(~$100), leaves ~$250 for labor. You're not going to do much better than that. However, the price difference between NEMA 14-50 and wall charger should be much closer to the price of the charger, not the $1000 that you've indicated.

Protect1989

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Was able to find the quote that was emailed to me. This quote DOES NOT include the cost of the Tesla wall charger.

Yes I know a nema would be cheaper, but I wanted the Tesla wall charger for a few reasons. That’s not the important part here.

4a2a777e-6a58-44c0-b892-907f00f84177-jpeg.24223

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes I know a nema would be cheaper, but I wanted the Tesla wall charger for a few reasons. That’s not the important part here.
Just to be clear, I suggest asking for a NEMA install just to get the lower quote. It's quite trivial to replace the NEMA outlet with a wall connector later, if you don't mind a little DIY.

Or you can just get some more quotes. You'll probably come across somebody with a more reasonable price if you keep trying.

NickyM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well... albeit for a T≡SLA HPWC, I think I probably win the medal of most expensive installation cost... ;)
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/introducing-red-dragon.6376/page-6#post-95641
Not even close. I just paid $3,415 for a NEMA 14-50 station with my own service to be run off the power pole in my condos parking lot. A further $550 in fees from the power company to hook it up and $300 for additional surge protection and the grand total was around $4,200. Condos are NOT cheap for charging Teslas.

Condo Charging Station Progress

Last edited:

viperd

Country
Country
I got a couple quotes to install the Wall Charger. There was a big difference in price between an electrician doing the install as a side job and having a company do the job $300 vs. $1000. What are the risks with going with the cheaper side job route? The quote I'm leaning towards was recommended by a fellow forum member.

Protect1989

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got a couple quotes to install the Wall Charger. There was a big difference in price between an electrician doing the install as a side job and having a company do the job $300 vs. $1000. What are the risks with going with the cheaper side job route? The quote I'm leaning towards was recommended by a fellow forum member.
The difference is liability. If, hypothetically, you hired the side guy and the house burned down, the insurance could claim thats the reasoning. If the house really did burn down and you went after the side guy, whos to say hes covered through insurance to replace what you lost?

Meanwhile companies have extensive insurance policies for these things. Basically youre paying extra for peace of mind. Not saying the other guy would do a bad job, just saying from a liability standpoint one has a better standing than the other.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Depending on the complexity of the install, I may go with a professional. Are to say without knowing the details. I had a similar situation as you. Pro wanted $1k and a neighbor offered to do the install for $200+parts. Parts turned out to be only $150, so a total of $350.

For reference, he ran ~40ft of 3/4” conduit using #6 wire, and installed a 60A fused disconnect. The entire run was directly off the meter and he basically just had to drill a small hole into my garage. He also screwed the wall connector to a stud and wired it up. The entire install (done meticulously and cleanly) was just under 4hrs.

Rasputinj

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
$80 in parts for wall connector. 3ft cable run. Went straight out of back of panel to inside of garage. Easy install.
Bought a black signature wall connector on eBay for $400

FurryOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually, most 6/2 Romex is 2-#6, and 1-#10, since the ground isn't expected to carry much. I just ran mine and am waiting for Tesla to ship out my wall "charger". Also, 6/2 Romex (Southwire, because it seems to be prevalent at lowes & Home Depot) is normally rated for only 55A, so using a 60A breaker would be a no-no. I was blessed with an all-electric house (converted to gas) that has a 200A Service, but it's on the opposite side of the house from the garage! (the curse)

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Was able to find the quote that was emailed to me. This quote DOES NOT include the cost of the Tesla wall charger.

View attachment 24223
This is exactly what I paid my electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Taney71

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can’t remember if I responded to this thread already but I’m on my cell so will do it (perhaps again): I spent about 750 on the Tesla Wall Charger being installed mainly because my box was in the basement about 100-150 feet from the garage. The guy had to run a wire in the ceiling .... took him about 4 hours or so.

tesla m3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
$216. Plug is right below the panel. No permit needed. Install took not even an hour.

I had him install a 60A breaker (in case I want to go with the wall charger later) and used heavier wire for less heat.

Dkitsov

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got quoted an amazing 767 for a NEMA outlet installed right next to the main panel + 599 for permit and inspection.
This is in the bay area east bay.
How is this in any way reasonable?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got quoted an amazing 767 for a NEMA outlet installed right next to the main panel + 599 for permit and inspection.
This is in the bay area east bay.
How is this in any way reasonable?
I would say it seems that electrician is living good. I don't understand and know the rates in your area, but that seems really high. Here in TX $450 would get the whole job for something like that.