How much did it end up costing you to get an outlet installed?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Grocho

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
$5000 CAD for the electrical near Vancouver, BC.

House only had 125A service, and I needed to upgrade to 200A, full panel upgrade and 100ft cable trenched to the detached garage's new 100A sub-panel.

The whole experience was more than I expected.

pdp1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm in California and self installed a 14-50 right below my breaker panel in the garage

$250 - the permit (ouch)
$10 - 240V 50A breaker
$10 - 14-50 outlet
$3 - outlet cover
$8 - 4" square, 2-5/8" deep, old work box
$1 - strain relief clips
$15 - for 4 feet of 6/3 Romex
$15 - for drywall patching material (I installed a recessed outlet)

Total around $312

Teslanian

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Any credit from Ontario government in installing charger at home? Any recommendation of company that install charger in Ontario?

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good news, finally got my Nema 14-50 installed. Found a licensed electrician on craigslist (I know, a little scary). He quoted me $160 to get it installed which seemed ridiculously cheap, and then ended up changing the price to $200 when he showed up. Still, for $200, I wasn't about to complain! He brought what appeared to be a used 50 amp breaker and Nema 14-50 outlet, and had to go to home depot and get a replacement Nema 14-50 because the other one broke as he installed it. Still, he completed it and it seems to be working perfectly so I'm happy! Getting about 29mph of charge now.

Just a note, my outlet was installed literally about a foot away from the breaker box and he didn't patch the hole he made.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone has a good recommendation for Orange county, CA area please? Looking for some electrician (cheap!) who could install NEMA 14-50 - Install is uncomplicated. Thank you very much in advance.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in the Chicagoland area and got a quote for $1100 to run a new circuit for a wall charger. My panel is in my home against an outside wall. The electrician would have to drill a hole to the outside and run conduit about 30ft total. I've read how electricians are over-charging for Tesla wall connectors. Is this over-priced or within reason?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in the Chicagoland area and got a quote for $1100 to run a new circuit for a wall charger. My panel is in my home against an outside wall. The electrician would have to drill a hole to the outside and run conduit about 30ft total. I've read how electricians are over-charging for Tesla wall connectors. Is this over-priced or within reason?
How many amps for the circuit?

For reference, I paid $965 for a somewhat-similar job in the Boston suburbs. It was a 50-amp circuit with 6-gauge wire, 32 feet in an unfinished basement, through an exterior wall, then about 8 feet in conduit under a low deck terminating in a NEMA 14-50 outlet. The amount I paid seems to be slightly higher than average for similar jobs in my area (~$800). Part of it may have been a Tesla tax, but it may also have been the fact that I made my electrician crawl under the deck for a while. :)

Check out some of the other posts above in this thread for some additional data points. See if anyone in the Chicago area has reported what they paid. I did see one post quoting $3200-3500 for a 50-foot run and a new panel, but the new panel probably accounts for at least $2000 of that quote so it may not be the best reference.

The one piece of advice that you will see over and over in this thread, though, is to shop around and get more than one quote. If they all come in around $1100, then $1100 is probably a fair price for your particular job.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How many amps for the circuit?

For reference, I paid $965 for a somewhat-similar job in the Boston suburbs. It was a 50-amp circuit with 6-gauge wire, 32 feet in an unfinished basement, through an exterior wall, then about 8 feet in conduit under a low deck terminating in a NEMA 14-50 outlet. The amount I paid seems to be slightly higher than average for similar jobs in my area (~$800). Part of it may have been a Tesla tax, but it may also have been the fact that I made my electrician crawl under the deck for a while. :)

Check out some of the other posts above in this thread for some additional data points. See if anyone in the Chicago area has reported what they paid. I did see one post quoting $3200-3500 for a 50-foot run and a new panel, but the new panel probably accounts for at least $2000 of that quote so it may not be the best reference.

The one piece of advice that you will see over and over in this thread, though, is to shop around and get more than one quote. If they all come in around $1100, then $1100 is probably a fair price for your particular job.
Thanks for the info. It's a 60A circuit (also #6 wire). Was expecting it to cost $800 as it will wire directly into a wall connector. I think the mention of the wall connector is what's causing the increased price, though that part should be pretty straight forward. No awkward positions or digging to do for my install. I've got other estimates lined up and was just curious on what I should negotiate for. First guy's initial offer was $1300, and he dropped it to $1100. He said if I find anyone cheaper to let him know (to beat it), which leads me to believe that he's marking up the price.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the info. It's a 60A circuit (also #6 wire). Was expecting it to cost $800 as it will wire directly into a wall connector. I think the mention of the wall connector is what's causing the increased price, though that part should be pretty straight forward. No awkward positions or digging to do for my install. I've got other estimates lined up and was just curious on what I should negotiate for. First guy's initial offer was $1300, and he dropped it to $1100. He said if I find anyone cheaper to let him know (to beat it), which leads me to believe that he's marking up the price.
I paid $450 ;-) That was in March a year ago.

The first estimate I got was $1600 -- a Tesla-inspired gross overcharge, rather common around here in Hawaii. I had the HPWC in hand. The run of cable was short (under 30ft) and just along an exterior wall, using two 4-gauge copper wire cables and a smaller one for ground. The existing 200A panel had plenty of room for a new circuit. So no crawling, drilling just one passage from outside the wall to inside where the HPWC went, and just strapping the conduit to the wall. Cost of material, due to short cable run, was low -- if I had bought it myself, with no professional or quantity discount, it would have cost about $150, so I assume it was under $100 for the installers.

The folks with the $450 quote did it on budget, with a team of two people, in about 30mins, plus about 50mins roundtrip driving. (My own estimate is I could have done it alone in an hour, but they used rigid conduit and I would have used flexible, which is faster. I had to use professionals because of state rules -- there is no permitting process in Hawaii for work done by anyone other than a licensed electrician...)

There is a definite Tesla effect! Two of the estimates were gross overcharges, one by a factor of 2, the other by a factor of 3.
And you cannot hide the Tesla part, at least not around here: in all three cases, I asked to have a 60A, 240V circuit put in place in my garage and was immediately answered "Oh, that's for a Tesla charger" -- well, I guess it's true nobody on the islands would have an RV ;-) The one advantage to this fame is that all three had already installed one or more HPWCs and so knew how to wire them (although it's really completely trivial).

Curiously, the high quote and the low quote were from the two Tesla-listed electricians on the island ;-)

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I paid $450 ;-) That was in March a year ago.

The first estimate I got was $1600 -- a Tesla-inspired gross overcharge, rather common around here in Hawaii. I had the HPWC in hand. The run of cable was short (under 30ft) and just along an exterior wall, using two 4-gauge copper wire cables and a smaller one for ground. The existing 200A panel had plenty of room for a new circuit. So no crawling, drilling just one passage from outside the wall to inside where the HPWC went, and just strapping the conduit to the wall. Cost of material, due to short cable run, was low -- if I had bought it myself, with no professional or quantity discount, it would have cost about $150, so I assume it was under $100 for the installers.

The folks with the $450 quote did it on budget, with a team of two people, in about 30mins, plus about 50mins roundtrip driving. (My own estimate is I could have done it alone in an hour, but they used rigid conduit and I would have used flexible, which is faster. I had to use professionals because of state rules -- there is no permitting process in Hawaii for work done by anyone other than a licensed electrician...)

There is a definite Tesla effect! Two of the estimates were gross overcharges, one by a factor of 2, the other by a factor of 3.
And you cannot hide the Tesla part, at least not around here: in all three cases, I asked to have a 60A, 240V circuit put in place in my garage and was immediately answered "Oh, that's for a Tesla charger" -- well, I guess it's true nobody on the islands would have an RV ;-) The one advantage to this fame is that all three had already installed one or more HPWCs and so knew how to wire them (although it's really completely trivial).

Curiously, the high quote and the low quote were from the two Tesla-listed electricians on the island ;-)
A little off subject but the Tesla tax sounds like my Corvette and Raptor tax.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Paid 700 for the electrian to install TESLA wall changer.
How far was the run and how much effort was involved? In my case, my panel is in a finished basement and they'd have to cut a hold in the ceiling to lead the line outside. From there they'd have to run it along an outside wall for 20ft and then punch the conduit back inside the garage and then a 90 degree turn and go another 10ft where there wall connector would go. I estimated $800 to do all that. I'm pretty handy with electrical work and would do it myself (parts are about $250 max outside the HPWC), but wanted a nice/clean job.

Taney71

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How far was the run and how much effort was involved? In my case, my panel is in a finished basement and they'd have to cut a hold in the ceiling to lead the line outside. From there they'd have to run it along an outside wall for 20ft and then punch the conduit back inside the garage and then a 90 degree turn and go another 10ft where there wall connector would go. I estimated $800 to do all that. I'm pretty handy with electrical work and would do it myself (parts are about $250 max outside the HPWC), but wanted a nice/clean job.
Your situation is nearly mine. About a 35 feet run from the panel in finished basement to the garage with about a 90 degree 8 foot turn. The guy was great and ran the line in the ceiling above the ceiling tiles. Took him 5 hours.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Your situation is nearly mine. About a 35 feet run from the panel in finished basement to the garage with about a 90 degree 8 foot turn. The guy was great and ran the line in the ceiling above the ceiling tiles. Took him 5 hours.
Was this a licensed electrician/job or a side job from an electrian. I found an electrician that’s willing to do it as a side job for $700.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I do not have my M3 yet or even ordered but asked Tesla about install and this is what they sent me, I live in east Texas:

Hardware
$500
1 Wall Connector (60amp Breaker)
$500
Installation Fees
$1,250
Installation Service
$750
Hidden Conduit
$500
Taxes
$41.25

Total Due Upon Installation
$1,791.25

I do not have my M3 yet or even ordered but asked Tesla about install and this is what they sent me, I live in east Texas:

$1,791.25
Yikes, I would pull 6-2 +grd Romex on a 2-pole 50a breaker with a 10 buck NEMA 6-50 receptacle that will provide a 30mph charge rate.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Hardware
$500
1 Wall Connector (60amp Breaker)
$500
Installation Fees
$1,250
Installation Service
$750
Hidden Conduit
$500
Taxes
$41.25

$1,791.25
There're a lot of variables not mentioned. How long of a run is a big factor, especially how complex the run is. A large part of an install is the labor. Curious what the "hidden conduit" fee is for. Also strange is that they're only charging you for the wall connector. There's a bit more hardware needed to connect a wall connector (such as the wire) that should be accounted for.

I just got back from HomeDepot and purchased the following:
60a fused disconnect w/ fuses
5-10ft 3/4” conduits
2-3/4” LB fittings
2-#6 black 60ft length
1-#12 green 60ft length
1-#10 white 60ft length

Total cost after tax is ~$250. I have a neighbor who's an electrician and he's doing the install for ~$180. I'm also tapping directly into my meter outside and by-passing my panel to avoid having to patch up my finished basement. Its a straight 25ft run from my meter to my garage, and then 15ft (10ft straight and 5ft up) from the entrance into my garage to where the wall connector will go. A professional company offered to do the same work for $900.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
There're a lot of variables not mentioned. How long of a run is a big factor, especially how complex the run is. A large part of an install is the labor. Curious what the "hidden conduit" fee is for. Also strange is that they're only charging you for the wall connector. There's a bit more hardware needed to connect a wall connector (such as the wire) that should be accounted for.

I just got back from HomeDepot and purchased the following:
60a fused disconnect w/ fuses
5-10ft 3/4” conduits
2-3/4” LB fittings
2-#6 black 60ft length
1-#12 green 60ft length
1-#10 white 60ft length

Total cost after tax is ~$250. I have a neighbor who's an electrician and he's doing the install for ~$180. I'm also tapping directly into my meter outside and by-passing my panel to avoid having to patch up my finished basement. Its a straight 25ft run from my meter to my garage, and then 15ft (10ft straight and 5ft up) from the entrance into my garage to where the wall connector will go. A professional company offered to do the same work for $900.
It is about 3' from the panel. the hidden conduit is an option I wanted where they hide all the cables and everything in the wall, this way it will look like it came with the house.