How much did it end up costing you to get an outlet installed?

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm requesting quotes right now from electricians to install a Nema 14-50 outlet. Trying to get an idea of how much it cost you to get one installed. Thanks!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Remember there are a lot of variables in price from location, to complexity, to distance of the run, to your electrical service.

Mine was $500 - $150 (30% federal tax credit), so $350

~20 foot run from the panel (in the garage), through the attic, down the wall and to the new receptacle.
Location, Broward County, FL

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did the work myself which you might think might not be relevant but it's worth mentioning so that it can levelset the baseline materials cost. I repurposed the 240V breaker spot that used to be our electrical dryer and removed that and put in 6 AWG wire which - with the help from my wife - I pulled through the wall, ran through my basement crawl space and then ran across the roof of my garage into a NEMA 14-50. I did the work in late 2016 to be able to take the tax credit.

$25 electrical work permit from the city
$165 50ft Romex 6/3
$5 screw clamp connector (for the breaker box)
$10 2-pole 50A breaker
$2 - receptacle box
$11 NEMA 14-50 outlet

Total materials cost (rounded): $218

Total time to do the installation was about 3 hours but I'm not an electrician and so I took my time. But then the inspection was fast - he arrived on time, looked at the breaker box and the plug, I asked a couple of questions about how I left the electric dryer wiring (just in case), and he signed off on it.

Last edited:

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've only gotten two quotes so far

Plug will be on the same wall as the panel, and the run is less than 3 ft away.

One was $330 and another was $350. This is of course without pulling any permits etc. Both of them said they can pull the permits, but didn't know what the cost would be.

Also sounded like most of the time people don't bother with the permit. But don't quote me on that. I've called my city to see what the cost is, but have yet to get a hold of anyone there.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a 14-30 outlet installed for $350 several years back when I had a Volt. It is situated next to my panel in the garage. When I got Quicksilver, I use the UMC that came with the car and swap out the 14-50 adapter for a 14-30 adapter (see below). Easy peasy. I was thinking of upgrading to a 14-50 outlet but not in a hurry since the 14-30 works just fine.

14-30.png

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Paid 450. 350 for install, 100 permit. Other quotes ran upto $600. Was within a few feet of the panel. Using an electrician not in the union helped the cost a lot but oddly enough they were a lot more expensive when I went to 200A service and had a sub panel run. Used a unionized shop for that job.

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also sounded like most of the time people don't bother with the permit. But don't quote me on that. I've called my city to see what the cost is, but have yet to get a hold of anyone there.
So my take on permits is that every trustworthy electrician will tell you you need one. Some of them might say that if you insist - to save money - they will do what you want and skip the permit. But they should all say that it's necessary. To me anyone who says that a permit isn't needed is usually code for saying that they aren't licensed and/or insured (because to pull the permit they need their license number and proof of insurance), and to me electrical issues are the number one cause of house fires nowadays and the best protection that I have available to me against that I can have a city inspector check my work or my electrician's work. And then there's the currents involved - the more current involved, the more concern that there is over a potential fire and EV charging currents are high.

Derik, I'm not sure where you live, but to help, I picked the largest city in Inland Empire, Riverside, and here's their permit fee schedule:
https://www.riversideca.gov/building/pdf/handouts/bldg-permit-plancheck-fees.pdf

You want page 4 - for just electrical work. Permit fee is $25 and then the outlet is $0.50... but it's a high current outlet so maybe it will be under the pool/spa charge ($25). So then it will likely be between $25.50 and $50 to get the permit. If it were me, I would argue it should be $25.50. :)

Last edited:

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
electrical issues are the number one cause of house fires nowadays and the best protection that I have available to me against that I can have a city inspector check my work or my electrician's work.
This is exactly the reason why I want to get a permit. I used to live in Riverside, but I'm in a smaller city in IE (Wildomar) and every time I try to look at the City's page it doesn't load correctly or I just can't find the fee schedule.

Thank you so much for pulling the riverside one. At least it gives me an idea. I was thinking the permit was going to be like $300 just because.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven't installed one because my quotes were really high.

• Panel distance requires about 90' of cable.
  • Requires either run along outside of house using EMT, or up the side of house through attic into garage (2 story house).
  • 200 AMP panel with no slots available (need two install two tandem switches plus 60 amp.
Three quotes, ranging between $1,200-$1500.

Got a quote for 700 labor only if I provided all the materials. meh...

akomlik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
NEMA 14-50 65 ft run from the panel at the opposite side of the house over attic into garage took them about 6h to complete.
This was done as part solar install project and added $1400 to total cost.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been quoted $5000+ for both option, might be best to move.

Option 1 Upgrade our 4 unit Breaker from 4x 50amp to 4x100 amp and then run a 20 foot run to my carport

Option 2 Get a new line pulled to my carport along with a meter and breaker box

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
$600. I'm based in NJ. I had an open 50 amp breaker so all the electrician had to do was install the NEMA 14-50 outlet underneath the service panel which is located right inside my garage.

Note that was a 3rd party contractor that was certified by Tesla. He had to take pictures and send them off to Tesla of the installation.

The company I went with: http://www.superpowerelectricnj.com/

Attachments

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just wanted to also note, installing a NEMA vs Tesla Wall Charger have different costs.

• 14-50 NEMA requires 4 wires @ 6ga. (2 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground)
  • Tesla Wall Charger requires 3 wires @6ga. (2 hot, 1 ground) - For a Model 3 - I think S/X requires larger gauge wire and higher circuit breaker?
Depending on the length of your run, the additional wire could add another $20-$100 in wire cost and upping conduit size (if your installation requires it). When I was getting quotes, a couple electricians recommended just getting the Tesla Wall Charger because the additional conduit and wire cost would be almost a wash.

That being said, a NEMA outlet has more flexibility if you were to change your options later down the line.

*Edit: Cause I'm not an electrician. Thanks for the info @garsh :)

Last edited: