How many orders for M3 are there now??? Tesla is mum on this.

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

tracksyde

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think he said the Net was 485K?
I was following the Marketwatch Liveblog (which I do not suggest unless you're anti-Tesla/Elon) and he said the numbers were 618k gross, 455k net.. the guy live blogging did the math and said there have been 63k cancellations

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was following the Marketwatch Liveblog (which I do not suggest unless you're anti-Tesla/Elon) and he said the numbers were 618k gross, 455k net.. the guy live blogging did the math and said there have been 63k cancellations
Great math since that would be 163k cancellations ;)

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I think he said 518K gross, and 485K total (or net now), but we'll all wait for the transcript.

Roderick80

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Breaking news- Musk corrects Tesla's Model 3 reservation number from "about 500,000" to "about 500,000."

Seriously though, I wish they wouldn't put so much emphasis on the "+1,800k per day since the reveal" figure (four days ago). This to me is another "meaningless number" as many expected a spike. This will come down as you add # of days to the denominator.

All things considered, I was very pleased with the earnings call. Best I've heard in a long time.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Maybe I did hear it correctly, then.
Yes, very solid call. Model S/X sales trending up, surprising even Tesla.
Sounds like they may start easing up on the Model 3 anti-selling a bit. Because of course eventually they want Model 3 to do really well, and they'd love to talk more about it.
One tidbit on the call was that:
1. The next car very well may not be called Model Y
2. It will be built on the Model 3 chassis after all.

Country
Country
Musk said at the earnings call today that at the reveal event he meant to say 455,000 orders had been received. Since that day, net orders have increased an average of 1,800 per day. So say about 9,000 more cars in 5 days or 464,000 orders as of today.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Confirmed, the audio of the call is posted at ir.tesla.com.
The numbers I quoted 518,000 gross and 455,000 net occur at time 46 mins:15 secs and were correct.
It's an interesting call to listed to if you're interested in tidbits on Model Y, AutoPilot, manufacturing ramps, management confidence, battery technology, etc.

http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/qbdsup2y

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I also liked how they snapped back at one analyst Tony at Bernstein at 48:33 who asked about the rationale of delivering "engineering prototypes" to employees. Elon snapped at him and said, in effect:

They are fully certified, fully EPA approved cars. We do MORE than other manufacturers do because we can quickly get feedback that other manufacturers would take much longer, if ever, to learn, and fix them.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Confirmed, the audio of the call is posted at ir.tesla.com.
The numbers I quoted 518,000 gross and 455,000 net occur at time 46 mins:15 secs and were correct.
(...)
Interesting since we did not expect news on this so soon... That gross number is actually somewhat less than I anticipated - I would not be surprised if the true number is actually a little higher (by 10% of more) yet T≡SLA prefers to underquote in order to discourage those who's still have to wait as much at 2+ years from now... ;)

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wouldn't be surprised if the last days there is also a surge in cancellations, because of people being disappointed in the prices of the options of the car. Like most of us are, even though we can understand from a business point.

For me it means that I have to think hard whether I want / can pay for AWD, EAP and FSD. Because I need things like long range and heated seats (already $ 14k). Even though I always said I would and that EAP and FSD are two of the reasons why Tesla is so special.
I might have to wait and get the software options later, at probably a higher price. Something I don't like, but have to accept.
No way that I ain't going to get my Model 3!

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm curious how many of the tens of thousands of Model 3 reservation cancellations were converted to a Model S or X order, vs. how many just walked away.
I bet most are the former.
The probable reason for the risen numbers of sales of S.
Announce delivery of 3 in international markets end of 2018 will probably lead to a comparable effect.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Musk said: “It’s like if you’re a restaurant and you’re serving hamburgers and there’s like an hour-and-a-half wait for hamburgers — do you really want to encourage more people to order more hamburgers?”

Roderick80

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I don't find 63k cancellations out of 515k aggregate deposits over the course of a year to be unusual at all as this works out to 1 cancellation for every 8 reservations placed, for a car reservationists won't even get to test drive for well over a year in most cases.

This is being reported as though everyone cancelled at once lowering the net number from 515k to 455k, but Elon has stated many times that net reservations continued to grow week after week (meaning, they were never that high).

A lot of "life" can happen throughout the course of a year to motivate someone to ask for their money back- I expect they saw cancellations as early as day 1. The fact that 7 out of 8 people would keep their place in line for this amount of time is a win for Tesla IMO.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I have at least 3 coworkers that cancelled their reservations All of them did so because they needed a car sooner and couldn't wait, not because of anything specific about the M3. Using Elon's example about the restaurant, even if you gave the hamburger away for free, some people are just too hungry to wait 1 1/2 hrs and need to eat right away.