How is your daily / lifetime efficiency?

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I decided to dedicate the first trip odometer to lifetime stats (or close, it's 9 miles behind actual odometer), and so far I'm averaging exactly 200 Wh/mi.
I didn't see any other threads after searching, so post your typical commute or lifetime mileage if you have it.
In the pic, top is lifetime, the daily is my commute to the far office ~90 mi usually.
efficiency-jpg.11389

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I decided to dedicate the first trip odometer to lifetime stats (or close, it's 9 miles behind actual odometer), and so far I'm averaging exactly 200 Wh/mi.
Very nice! I have a tendency to hypermile in my ICE vehicles, it's a game to see how low I can keep the MPG. In the Model 3, I still try to drive efficiently but I don't get the same kick out of it because it's already so efficient! I use the climate control as much as needed for maximum comfort and drive whatever speed I feel like driving. I'm not near the Model 3 right now but it has settled in around 220-230 Wh/mi. after 2400 miles.

I think the Model 3 is the most efficient EV available today. Someone correct me if they know of an EV with a lower energy consumption rating. It's particularly efficient at higher speeds compared to other EV's due to it's superior aerodynamics. Having an efficient EV is under-rated because it's not just about the small electrical savings. An efficient EV can charge more mph when forced to use Level 1 or level 2 charging in the middle of a trip. This is a real benefit.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
odd that the EPA has the Ionic at $.81/25 miles and the Model 3 at $.84/25 miles but both at $500/year.

DannyHamilton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also dedicated one of my trip odometers to Lifetime Stats (less the 12 miles that were already on the vehicle when I took delivery). I have a total of just over 5200 miles and, like you, I'm averaging 200 Wh/mi.

My daily commute is 40 miles each way, and 36 miles (90%) of that is expressway.

I plug in at home and at work, and I use the scheduler on TeslaFi to automatically start the preconditioning of the vehicle 10 minutes before my typical departure time if it is plugged in. According to Teslafi, I'm getting my best efficiency (483 miles at average of
Wh/mi) when it is between 70 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit outside, and my worst efficiency (491 miles at average of 226.32 Wh/mi) when it is between 90 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

I suspect that the A/C use at the higher outside temp is contributing significantly to that drop in efficiency, but I also recall some of those higher temp days bringing some significant thunderstorms along with them. I've noticed that rain and wet roads draw quite a few WH/mi, and thunderstorms typically come with some significant winds that may not have been tailwinds. The increase in humidity probably causes the A/C to have to work even harder.

I've definitely seen some trips with better than 166 Wh/mi, but I suspect there was an elevation change and a tailwind.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
The Hyundai Ioniq EV beats it. But that appears to be the only vehicle that does.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=39641&id=39836
Good find. The Hyundai wasn't on my radar, apparently, it is only available in one state, California. I guess it makes sense that a slightly smaller car with less than half the usable range (and correspondingly lighter battery load) could see higher MPGe numbers. Surprisingly, the Model 3 still beats it on the Highway rating by 1 MPGe.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I plug in at home and at work, and I use the scheduler on TeslaFi to automatically start the preconditioning of the vehicle 10 minutes before my typical departure time if it is plugged in. According to Teslafi, I'm getting my best efficiency (483 miles at average of
Wh/mi) when it is between 70 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit outside, and my worst efficiency (491 miles at average of 226.32 Wh/mi) when it is between 90 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit outside.
Good numbers! I'm curious, does TeslaFi allow you to set the pre-conditioning time in one-minute increments? Because I've found the Model 3 pre-conditions really quickly, 5 minutes or less. I imagine the problem with pre-scheduling is you never know exactly when you will be leaving.

DannyHamilton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good numbers! I'm curious, does TeslaFi allow you to set the pre-conditioning time in one-minute increments? Because I've found the Model 3 pre-conditions really quickly, 5 minutes or less. I imagine the problem with pre-scheduling is you never know exactly when you will be leaving.
Yes. It allows scheduling in 1 minute increments. Also, yes, I chose 10 minutes because I occasionally depart a bit earlier than "typical".

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Excellent numbers, @DannyHamilton . We shouldn't be surprised a California car performs well in California-style weather :)
I also noticed the efficiency hit in hot weather with A/C.
I'm going to bet on 250+ Wh/mi come winter even if it put the aero covers back on.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not to be a downer here but I think in a PA winter you will see a lot higher consumption than 250, unless your trips are very long. For a lot of 10-20 mile trips, I bet it goes over 300.
Easily. The Volt and e-Golf that I've driven through six Boston winters saw consumption north of 300 on most days...and that was with the heat turned down to 64.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not to be a downer here but I think in a PA winter you will see a lot higher consumption than 250, unless your trips are very long. For a lot of 10-20 mile trips, I bet it goes over 300.
In winter, I haven't found consumption to be too much higher. However, the batteries' usable capacity decreases a lot when it's cold. Chemical reactions require heat/energy to work.

I'm hoping that this effect isn't as bad in a Tesla with its battery temperature management.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm wondering how much %/hour is going to be burned while parked at work on very cold days.
Does anyone know at which temp the 3 starts heating the battery pack to maintain normal operability?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'm wondering how much %/hour is going to be burned while parked at work on very cold days.
Does anyone know at which temp the 3 starts heating the battery pack to maintain normal operability?
Just a WAG, around 38 degrees F.

I can't give you a number on the %/hour but it's got to be more than a little significant. My strategy for dealing with this will be to time the charging so it's hitting the set charge limit right before morning usage (or perhaps not quite there yet). And to charge at the maximum available amperage. Charging and driving warm the battery pack and there's 800 lbs. of thermal mass there. So how much it takes to keep the pack in the safe zone on a cold day will be heavily dependent upon the starting battery pack temperature, how long it's parked and how windy it is. A particularly heavy drain scenario would be parked overnight without being plugged in on a bitterly cold windy night (without a windbreak).

Of course, this kind of scenario can be problematic for gas and diesel powered cars too. Which is why in areas that get regular bitter cold weather, 110V block heater outlets are commonly found around apt. buildings, places of work, etc. Obviously, these can be used by electric cars too. Make sure you turn the charge current to the lowest available so you don't trip the breaker if others are using it on the same circuit (or turn the charge limit low enough that it won't actually charge).

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm right around 243 in a little over 2k miles nearly all highway. But I also have a have a hard time keeping it under 80mph (it's just so smooth and easy) and that really seems to eat into the effeciency. My commute is also up and down pretty good hills and going down at that speed doesn't make up for getting up.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since January. Cold weather is indeed killer for range efficiency, I'm doing loads better now that it's finally reasonably warm. I'll be curious to see what the average is for a complete year, all 4 seasons. Here's our 6 month total:

lifetime-jpg.11453

CleanEV

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am looking at the number you all that makes me believe what did I get from Tesla?
The attached snapshot is from iOS app Stats and i’ll get a snapshot of car screen soon
What I dont’ get Is the discrepancy between rated and estimated range. MPGe is to be desired I guess.
upload_2018-7-13_13-37-0-png.11465