How intriguing is the Hyundai Kona?

HvyMtlChaos

Country
Country
I saw that article the other day, but it doesn't mention where delivery is starting (I would need USA, and in a non-CARB state). I looked further online for news and found this: https://www.motor1.com/news/229734/hyundai-kona-electric-debut-date/

"The Kona Electric will be available for orders in Europe from the summer of 2018, making Hyundai “the first automotive brand across Europe to make an all-electric compact SUV available to everyone.”"

So not really a near-term option :-(

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I saw that article the other day, but it doesn't mention where delivery is starting (I would need USA, and in a non-CARB state). I looked further online for news and found this: https://www.motor1.com/news/229734/hyundai-kona-electric-debut-date/

"The Kona Electric will be available for orders in Europe from the summer of 2018, making Hyundai “the first automotive brand across Europe to make an all-electric compact SUV available to everyone.”"

So not really a near-term option :-(
Hohoho, well, maybe not in the Americas yet for us miserable Europeans... ;)... certainly an intriguing one to look at...

Trust they’d have both the Kona and soon thereafter - or at the same time? - the full EV Kia Niro.

Close to 500 kms (300 miles) under the new WLTP norm, reportedly much more accurate, probably very close to EPA, certainly not a range to be frowned upon...

No doubt it will be cheaper than the also soon to be released Jag iPace (by a ton!) though I would be surprised if the design is as attractive as the latter, or of course Model 3. Likely be more like a small SUV from the teaser and the Niro concept so that’s practical too...

Killer question would then remain... what about charging speed & infrastructure and convenience of use in nav system???

(And, will it come with a HUD? :p)

Intriguing though probably a long shot it can sway me away... o_O

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
A bit of a old article I found from InsideEVs (8 months). Cross referencing with the more recent one by Electrek, could it be that the ‘top version’ would have ~300 miles, while the base version would come at 220 miles...?! Ummm? Don’t these two numbers sound eerily close to the LRB & (future) SR offering on Model 3?! :)

Also, guess the design may not be quite as innovative & bold as this pic yet maybe could give way to imagination...

https://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-electric-suv-50-kwh-battery-220-mile-range/

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Found in yet another article that just came out ahead of the upcoming 2/27 release:

According to some sources, the Kona Electric will land in the United States in the first half of 2019, carrying a base price of just under $40,000. It will be offered with only one battery option, the larger 64-kWh one.

Ok, enough on this diversion for today... back to waiting to my Midnight S≡R≡NITY... :)

HvyMtlChaos

Country
Country
I was very confused at first when I went back to the thread this started in and couldn't find the reply I saw about the Kona or my response from earlier today. Then realized it was moved to its own thread, lol.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I was very confused at first when I went back to the thread this started in and couldn't find the reply I saw about the Kona or my response from earlier today. Then realized it was moved to its own thread, lol.
Sorry for this. Thought this was worthy of singling out rather than staying lost in the Invite & Delivery thread...

Glad you found it!
;)

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The new delays are especially disappointing to me as it looks like I will have to buy a car before the SR version is available (day 1 in store reservation). Last year we replaced my electric Fiat with an ICE car to give us more time to wait for the 3. Now our second car - a VW TDI will have to be turned in to VW by the end of summer so it will need a replacement. Although I plan to keep my reservation just in case the SR becomes available, it looks like we seriously need to consider alternatives.

If you are in a similar boat - what are you considering instead?
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/ioniq/ YTMV (Your tastes may vary) This was what I was thinking of before March 30, 2016. ;) But now I'm making the 12-year-old Prius last a while longer.

Griff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ioniq doesn't have enough range, and the price is way too close to the TM3 to really justify the switch. I just want my 3SR Now!

Griff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, that's a more reasonable choice, but still probably ends up being slightly more money (optioned out vs SR/PUP/EAP my preference and probably the closest match) and still be short on some key features. It'll definitely be worth a look when it gets here.
And I was actually considering all three versions and leaning toward the plug-in hybrid. I'm not an EV purist (yet)--current 2006 Prius owner. I expect the Model 3 will change my perspective.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
That's right!
What could possibly suck more than having to get an oil change for your "electric car"?
;)
Getting an emissions test. The technicians never know how to get the gas engine to kick on! I have to take it to the emissions station out of charge so it is running on the gas engine and then fill out all the paperwork. Then I have to run it around the lot a few times and hope that the engine doesn't cut off at idle before the technician gets his readings! Usually takes at least two tries.

Dan

JBsC6

Country
Country
The Hyundai Iona ev should be her in the USA by the summer 2018....which is the same time as the jaguar I pace and before the model 3 gets delivered with awd for most of us...

I fully expect the krona to be a hell of a value and the photos I've seen of the vehicle to this point is pretty nice.,(gas version only shown so far)

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
For impatient Europeans...?
Here is an initial peak at the Hyundai Kona, making its official debut at the upcoming Geneva Auto Show...

Key takeaways:
- As expected, two battery options (64 kWh with 470 kms/293 miles range; 39 kWh with 300 kms/190 miles).
- As expected, two battery options (64 kWh with 470 kms/293 miles range; 39 kWh with 300 kms/190 miles)
Kona seems to have lots of built-in electronics & driver assistance features
- As I said, exterior dimensions & trunk extremely limited (418 cm/17 feet long... 332 l/11.7 cu. ft trunk!) hence IHMO more of an effective city driver than a family
- 0-60 mph in 7.6 seconds; swift yet no Model 3 acceleration... top speed 167 kms/slightly over 100 mph, not a drag racer yet surely not designed for that... ;)
- Charging speed 54 min. up to 80% at 100 kW...
- prices? Stay tuned.

I’ll go check it out when at the nearby dealer. Based on above specs, unlikely it will sway me away from Midnight S≡R≡NITY... yet kudo to Hyundai for trying!

https://www.netcarshow.com/hyundai/2018-kona_electric/

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I will say this for Hyundai, among the car manufacturers they probably have the most features for the money than any other. We found this to be true when hunting for a car for the wife. Got her a Sonata Hybrid. Packed with features...and space. Great value for the money. They also carry a strong customer satisfaction base. They could really be a player if they ever decided to commit themselves to the EV marketplace.

Dan