How Important Is Full Self Driving to you - both when you bought the car and now?

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

How Important Is Full Self Driving to you - both when you bought the car and now?

• It's the biggest reason why I bought the car

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • Wasn't mainly why I bought the car, but definitely very interested in using it when it comes out

Votes: 57 46.0%
  • Have some interest in FSD in the future, will see how it plays out

Votes: 36 29.0%
  • Have no real interest in buying FSD in the future because of price

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Have no real interest in buying FSD in the future because I'm not interested

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Think FSD is happening too fast, wish Tesla were more in line with the rest of the industry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hope FSD never happens

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This car is so much fun to drive. It's still hard to believe how much I love it, and I can't imagine ever wanting it to drive itself. Even after 15 months I still look forward to getting in it everyday. I have no interest in AP or FSD, but if I was forced to have AP (and the dreaded TACC) I would use it situationally in heavy highway traffic. But in low to moderate traffic, which is my usual scenario, it would just irritate me. As things stand right now, it's pretty clear from reading this forum that there are still many of the same issues from a year ago when I had the free trial. So I'm not really sure how FSD is a realistic goal within the next several years. But I'm pulling for them and very interested to see how it plays out.
I think TACC has changed a lot in the last couple of firmware updates.

I think the car is a lot of fun to drive, and I find the current iteration of TACC enhances that. With TACC on, I can still go above the speed TACC is set at without disengaging. So in moderate traffic, when I might need to change lanes quite a bit to pass, it makes things easier without making them less fun.

NOA, on the other hand, I don't get the appeal of, so I've stuck with the plain vanilla AP. But to each their own...

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I bought with everything before FSD and it was a factor, a significant one, but not the top reason. I really look forward to FSD because I see my reactions slowing as I age. The main issue right now is that I love driving the car so much I don't switch it into autopilot. With that said I have it on every day on the way home from work, 19 miles of congested traffic. I use it and keep half an eye on the road. The difference I find is that I get home without additional stress and actually feeling a little refreshed. I do attribute that to the car allowing me to relax more as it pays attention to the drivers around me. I don't use it on the way in. Early morning, less traffic and did I say I love to drive my car? Can't wait until FSD, at least for my commutes home and longer trips.

Mr. Spacely

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've only had the car since April 2019 and I've noticed changes for the good with the software updates. It has really gotten better with matching speed of the road and cars around me. Regularly I drive from Tampa to St. Petersburg and St. Petersburg to Bradenton without touching anything (loosely holding wheel). NOA is not always perfectly smooth, but the system is amazing. Now when I approach a red light the system "yells" at me if it thinks I'm running it. Haven't had any stop sign recognition yet.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What I am interested in, however, is the perfection of EAP on the interstate. The more I see, the more I am convinced that HW3 is going to be required for that.
This is a perfectly understandable desire.

I don't understand why you think HW3 would be required for that though.

Having just taken a 1900+ mile road trip and using EAP/NoA for most of it, I don't think its current limitations are insurmountable with the current hardware. It seems more of a path planning issue to me, not an object recognition/prediction issue, which I think the car basically has down right now. The major issues with disengagements or overrides for me were simply that sometimes it was too quick to pull into the left lane to pass, and too slow to move back out of the passing lane, and then after you override it to either cancel a pass or to manually pull into the right lane, it would then refuse to make a pass (this might be by design, since I think it took my override as an indication that I wanted to be in a specific lane). At other times I thought it was spot on in handling passing/lane changes.