How Important Is Full Self Driving to you - both when you bought the car and now?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

How Important Is Full Self Driving to you - both when you bought the car and now?

• It's the biggest reason why I bought the car

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Wasn't mainly why I bought the car, but definitely very interested in using it when it comes out

Votes: 89 50.6%
  • Have some interest in FSD in the future, will see how it plays out

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • Have no real interest in buying FSD in the future because of price

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Have no real interest in buying FSD in the future because I'm not interested

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Think FSD is happening too fast, wish Tesla were more in line with the rest of the industry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hope FSD never happens

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With all the talk about FSD that seems to accompany every earnings call, and the resulting barrage of twitter / MSM posts about it that inevitably follow, I wanted to get a read from ACTUAL OWNERS what they really think of FSD? I know that there are a ton of posts on it but wanted to kind of gauge what everyone's thoughts were, and how many people really plan on using it?

Personally, TACC with Autosteer is enough for me for now. I bought my Model 3 because it was an EV and EAP had the ability to really reduce the stress on my commute...and it has, in spades. I drive a LOT (my car was delivered at the end of December and already has over 17k miles) and the Model 3 has really made it more enjoyable, especially the EAP features.

Having said that, there are enough frustrations with just basic EAP functions (especially NOA) that I don't see myself getting FSD until it is REALLY proven. I'd definitely need to experience a car with the upgraded computer running just the same EAP features before I was convinced to make the leap to FSD on city streets in more challenging situations.

To me, the goal of FSD is, as I've said before, full hands off, no user input required, take me to my destination while I don't pay attention at all. Anything less than that to me just doesn't seem worth it.

I'm sure that many will disagree with me and I welcome that. I am not posting this to throw down the gauntlet as being the only reasonable position; we seem to be a very well educated and mature group here capable of having discussions without animosity and I hope that's how this thread goes.

So what say you?
Before buying the car thought "FSD is the greatest thing ever..." and bought it...but I didn't buy the car because I wanted FSD. I just wanted it as it's another feature and FOMO for the price difference after the fact convinced me to pull the trigger early.
Now that I have the car and LOVE EAP, FSD can only make that better I'm sure.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didn't get Autopilot or Full Self Drive because I like driving, and my daily work commute doesn't really give me an opportunity to use either (suburban streets driving). So it wasn't worth the extra cost to me.

The only thing that might interest me about Full Self Drive? Right now I don't like to leave my car anywhere that isn't at home, and take a ride with someone else anywhere. I usually drive myself (meaning we need two parking spaces at the destination) because I don't like being uncertain if I can pick my car up later. FSD would make that no longer a problem. It would be kind of nice to be able to be able to use my phone to send the car home. But once again, probably not worth the up-front cost, because it doesn't happen very often. Maybe if there was a monthly fee and the ability to turn it on and off.

Last edited:

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As a line waiter and a first production buyer, I went with EAP because I didn't need FSD nor did I expect it to become approved in any reasonable time which would justify lumping it in with the financing. Always figured the price would stay as advertised ($4k after purchase) and was willing to consider it in the future (when I might need to send the car to take my parents to an appointment while I was out of town - how will it unplug itself?).

The $2k sale was weird, and twitter-centric but, even if I'd caught it, I probably wouldn't have purchased due to other expenses at the time and the fact that I still thought the $4k would be locked in. Now, they're raising the price and I'm not sure if that will fluctuate (desire to get more adopters vs the hottest commodity on the block) but I'm pretty sure they won't honor the $4k ever again and I'm highly doubtful they'll run another $2k sale.

Even though I don't trust NoAP (it really needs to use the aft camera and consider tailgaters before hitting the brakes/changing lanes) and I wish there was a way to set dumb cruise control on a wide open highway (avoid phantom braking), I feel like the hardware upgrade might very well be worth the cost at $3k and, no matter what, that's less than the original $4k I'd expected to pay if I'd wanted to add it later. I'm very tempted to go ahead and buy. Don't think I'll have buyer's remorse and I won't complain (too much) if the price goes down but I don't need it so the question is whether or not waiting might still work out better for me.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla is obsessed with safety.
Tesla makes safe cars. They are safe because the skateboard battery produces a low COG that helps in stability, and because the EV only powertrain frees up space for crumple zones.

Volvo is ACTUALLY obsessed with safety. They have stated that their goal is to ensure no ones dies in their cars by 2020. For years they have had a forensics team that travels around Sweden looking at accidents trying to understand why. They invented the three point seat belt...and gave it away because it was too important that everyone have it. They have long sold seats with very prominent, non-adjustable headrests. Because they are safer. They pioneered seats with special mounts that reduce / prevent whiplash by breaking away in a rear end collision. They were one of the first to have side impact airbags. They designed their current engine family to be all 4 cylinders only to increase the crumple zone to one of the best in the industry.

They already announced, more than a year ago, that when their vehicles are autonomous, that they will take responsibility for crashes.

That is what obsessed with safety looks like.

evannole

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla makes safe cars. They are safe because the skateboard battery produces a low COG that helps in stability, and because the EV only powertrain frees up space for crumple zones.

Volvo is ACTUALLY obsessed with safety. They have stated that their goal is to ensure no ones dies in their cars by 2020. For years they have had a forensics team that travels around Sweden looking at accidents trying to understand why. They invented the three point seat belt...and gave it away because it was too important that everyone have it. They have long sold seats with very prominent, non-adjustable headrests. Because they are safer. They pioneered seats with special mounts that reduce / prevent whiplash by breaking away in a rear end collision. They were one of the first to have side impact airbags. They designed their current engine family to be all 4 cylinders only to increase the crumple zone to one of the best in the industry.

They already announced, more than a year ago, that when their vehicles are autonomous, that they will take responsibility for crashes.

Yup. As much as I like my Model 3, and despite the fact that I feel very safe in it, when I get in my wife's Volvo and shut the doors (*thunk*), I can't help but think, "Dang, this thing is built like a tank."

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got my Tesla with EAP/FSD, but it was definitely not a huge influence on purchasing it. Even without, this has been an absolutely incredible car, lightyears ahead of my previously owned vehicles.

I'm excited for its eventual release (as well as the efficiencies that will come with the FSD computer), but well worth the wait. It will only make the experience that much better, instead of feeling as if I'm missing out on something.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Fair enough.

But obsession can take different forms.

Volvo is, and has long been, the leader in passive safety measures; i.e., making sure their cars are safe for occupants when they get in an accident.

Tesla, though, is trying to lead the way in active safety measures, which prevent or minimize the severity of accidents in the first place. Every one of Tesla's active safety measures is standard on every Tesla with HW 2.5. (Well, maybe not the red light warning, but that one's still in very early days.) That's not true for Volvo, right? From what I've read, some of those options are standard, but others are an option? (Correct me if I'm wrong!)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it likely that Tesla will soon start to put all of its EAP development efforts towards HW3, basically freezing EAP under HW2.5 more or less where it is today,
I agree with this as well. The fact that they discontinued EAP gives them an out to stop development to everyone who bought it. I have a feeling this will happen in the short term and you will be forced to upgrade to fsd for whatever they feel like charging that day

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fair enough.

But obsession can take different forms.

Volvo is, and has long been, the leader in passive safety measures; i.e., making sure their cars are safe for occupants when they get in an accident.

Tesla, though, is trying to lead the way in active safety measures, which prevent or minimize the severity of accidents in the first place. Every one of Tesla's active safety measures is standard on every Tesla with HW 2.5. (Well, maybe not the red light warning, but that one's still in very early days.) That's not true for Volvo, right? From what I've read, some of those options are standard, but others are an option? (Correct me if I'm wrong!)
Almost all the active safety systems are standard in Volvo. Here’s the list of standard active safety features from an S60: https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new-models/s60/features#/compareview

Blind spot plus cross traffic alert.
City Safety collision avoidance
Rear collison mitigation
Lane keeping aid
Oncoming lane mitigation
Run off road mitigation

Pilot assist is optional. And works pretty well.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with this as well. The fact that they discontinued EAP gives them an out to stop development to everyone who bought it. I have a feeling this will happen in the short term and you will be forced to upgrade to fsd for whatever they feel like charging that day
Yes, I think Elon started during the Ride The Lightning podcast that Advanced Summon was the last piece of EAP to be rolled out.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Almost all the active safety systems are standard in Volvo. Here’s the list of standard active safety features from an S60: https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new-models/s60/features#/compareview

Blind spot plus cross traffic alert.
City Safety collision avoidance
Rear collison mitigation
Lane keeping aid
Oncoming lane mitigation
Run off road mitigation

Pilot assist is optional. And works pretty well.
That link shows that Blind Spot Information System and Cross Traffic Alert are not standard on the S60 Momentum trim.

Jim H

Country
Country
When I bought my car, the only option's I wanted was the AWD with Performance package. I've had many performance car's over my many years, and wanted a daily driver that GLH. ( Had 3 of those). I enjoy driving these type of cars, and using the performance when I want a little jolt. Due to this, I never really considered any driver assist driving program, from day 1 till today. I do not drive the miles I used to, but 8-10 hours in this car is no big deal. I may be 68, but not old enough yet to have a computer drive my car for me.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Time? Even if the car is FSD there is no replacement for getting to your destination in hours instead of days
Sure. But for flights of less than 2 hours of duration, it's not going to be a huge difference. Consider all of the hours wasted at the airport, getting there 2-3 hours early in case the security lines are backed up. If I'm able to just hop in my car and do some work or watch a movie during a 5-6 hour FSD ride, I'd much rather do that.

Especially since the seats in my car are so much more comfortable than being squished in the middle seat of economy.

Last edited:

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Both times I had the EAP trial I found that TACC and Autosteer were mostly useless to me because they are too compromised by glitches and odd behaviors. I can't see FSD ever happening with the technology that is currently deployed in the Model 3, even with HW3. Thankfully I don't really care. I bought the car because I wanted a practical BEV without compromise and one year and 22k miles later I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love the concept and technology behind FSD and like to see it in action. I bought it and someday hope to use it, but reality is I love to drive and most of the time I want to be in control. I'll use it as a novelty and perhaps on long trips, but could never see using it day in and day out even if was already in full use. When the car is driving it has to adhere to rules and speed limits and have certain gaps before it will change lanes. Few of us today adhere to the tight rules the car will have to while driving itself. It will have it's time and place to be used, but likely not on a daily basis for me.

I can still take major advantage of the safety features that help me and make me safer and still get to drive and enjoy the car myself.

Last edited:

Midnit3

Country
Country
It was a big reason I bought the car... I was impressed by it in two test drives I took and knew it would improve over time. I use it a lot... whenever I can actually. I have noticed some issues but love it. The feature was not supposed to be used for city or street driving yet anyway but a few post mention that as an issue. That use was coming later with the roll out of relight and stop sign recognition.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This car is so much fun to drive. It's still hard to believe how much I love it, and I can't imagine ever wanting it to drive itself. Even after 15 months I still look forward to getting in it everyday. I have no interest in AP or FSD, but if I was forced to have AP (and the dreaded TACC) I would use it situationally in heavy highway traffic. But in low to moderate traffic, which is my usual scenario, it would just irritate me. As things stand right now, it's pretty clear from reading this forum that there are still many of the same issues from a year ago when I had the free trial. So I'm not really sure how FSD is a realistic goal within the next several years. But I'm pulling for them and very interested to see how it plays out.