How Important Is Full Self Driving to you - both when you bought the car and now?

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

How Important Is Full Self Driving to you - both when you bought the car and now?

• It's the biggest reason why I bought the car

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • Wasn't mainly why I bought the car, but definitely very interested in using it when it comes out

Votes: 57 46.0%
  • Have some interest in FSD in the future, will see how it plays out

Votes: 36 29.0%
  • Have no real interest in buying FSD in the future because of price

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Have no real interest in buying FSD in the future because I'm not interested

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Think FSD is happening too fast, wish Tesla were more in line with the rest of the industry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hope FSD never happens

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With all the talk about FSD that seems to accompany every earnings call, and the resulting barrage of twitter / MSM posts about it that inevitably follow, I wanted to get a read from ACTUAL OWNERS what they really think of FSD? I know that there are a ton of posts on it but wanted to kind of gauge what everyone's thoughts were, and how many people really plan on using it?

Personally, TACC with Autosteer is enough for me for now. I bought my Model 3 because it was an EV and EAP had the ability to really reduce the stress on my commute...and it has, in spades. I drive a LOT (my car was delivered at the end of December and already has over 17k miles) and the Model 3 has really made it more enjoyable, especially the EAP features.

Having said that, there are enough frustrations with just basic EAP functions (especially NOA) that I don't see myself getting FSD until it is REALLY proven. I'd definitely need to experience a car with the upgraded computer running just the same EAP features before I was convinced to make the leap to FSD on city streets in more challenging situations.

To me, the goal of FSD is, as I've said before, full hands off, no user input required, take me to my destination while I don't pay attention at all. Anything less than that to me just doesn't seem worth it.

I'm sure that many will disagree with me and I welcome that. I am not posting this to throw down the gauntlet as being the only reasonable position; we seem to be a very well educated and mature group here capable of having discussions without animosity and I hope that's how this thread goes.

So what say you?

EDIT / CLARIFICATION:

I'm seeing some of the posts discussing that they were impressed with Full Self Driving on their test drive, use it's features now.

That's NOT what I mean.

What I mean is the eventual realization of the "feature complete" that Elon discusses. Meaning, essentially, Navigate On Autopilot on city and highway streets. FULL, SELF, Driving by the car. As in, I can input a destination in my driveway and not have to do anything until I get to my destination.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m with ya... I want them to get the highway done proper. Make it so we can not pay attention there, merge, adjust speed normal, not almost get rear ended, etc... Off the highway I’d prefer drive, it’s fun where I live. If I’m drinking would be the only reason I can think, or sick and Uber is fine for that.

PEIEVGUY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in rural area where there aren’t any ‘highways’ just a few 4 lane roads and everywhere else is 2 lane ‘county roads’. (Hell, some of our roads aren’t even paved!) I wasn’t for go bother with EAP when I planned to order, but then Tesla integrated basic AP with all Model 3s so that was that.
I’ve found that I really enjoy using AP since delivery, especially late at night and in a bit tired. (Still paying close attention, of course). Showing it off to non-Tesla people is amazing. They are blown away how well it works. I’m my mind, it was worth the extra cost.
If they made an offer to upgrade to FSD (Or even a tier in between) for a reasonable price, I would consider purchasing it.

Silvermagic3

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With all the talk about FSD that seems to accompany every earnings call, and the resulting barrage of twitter / MSM posts about it that inevitably follow, I wanted to get a read from ACTUAL OWNERS what they really think of FSD? I know that there are a ton of posts on it but wanted to kind of gauge what everyone's thoughts were, and how many people really plan on using it?

Personally, TACC with Autosteer is enough for me for now. I bought my Model 3 because it was an EV and EAP had the ability to really reduce the stress on my commute...and it has, in spades. I drive a LOT (my car was delivered at the end of December and already has over 17k miles) and the Model 3 has really made it more enjoyable, especially the EAP features.

Having said that, there are enough frustrations with just basic EAP functions (especially NOA) that I don't see myself getting FSD until it is REALLY proven. I'd definitely need to experience a car with the upgraded computer running just the same EAP features before I was convinced to make the leap to FSD on city streets in more challenging situations.

To me, the goal of FSD is, as I've said before, full hands off, no user input required, take me to my destination while I don't pay attention at all. Anything less than that to me just doesn't seem worth it.

I'm sure that many will disagree with me and I welcome that. I am not posting this to throw down the gauntlet as being the only reasonable position; we seem to be a very well educated and mature group here capable of having discussions without animosity and I hope that's how this thread goes.

So what say you?
I completely agree with you. Love using AP for road trips! Not feeling tired after 'driving' for 5 hours is amazing to me. However, I still don't think the normal AP is finished, let along NOA. Its frustrating that the car still dramatically slows down when the car your following changes out of your lane. I think once NOA is clean then I'll think about getting FSD, but I think that's at least a year out (hope I'm wrong).

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure there was a choice that I fully fit, but ....

When I got my car there was Enhanced Autopilot which seemingly provided most all you would need. Now that they removed EAP and give basic AP, I think they force the necessity of FSD.

Anyway for me... I passed on FSD, but because of FOMO and the sale a few months ago, I upgraded for $2,000.

Clearly I love my car and love Tesla, but I'm highly skeptical I will get any real value out of that $2k spend. I guess we'll see...

MNScott

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a hard time believing that FSD is more than vaporware. There are so many "real world" scenarios that it would have to handle...and to date it doesn't even handle some of the basics required for FSD well. See lane centering, TACC, phantom braking, etc. I hope I'm wrong and FSD is released per Elon's timeline.

Friedrich

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Initially, I was thrilled by the FSD option. I supposedly got grandfathered in to FSD since I ordered before the EAP/FSD chane, and took delivery afterwards, but as of now I'm still on EAP. My enthusiasm vanished quickly after the first tries of TACC and Autopilot.

While I'm sure it works quite fine in the US, here in Austria it's a whole different story. Our roads - especially in my neck of the woods - are quite a bit more narrow than US roads. Which leads to panic attacks on the side of TACC, even if there is objectively enough space for two cars. Even on the highway I still have frequent phantom brakings without any discernable reason.

Of course, this happens when using EAP, too. Once I tried to pass a truck on the highway, and AP just wouldn't let me. It stayed not behind the truck, but about a third of the way besides the truck. Furthermore, the lane change option is very timid and just doesn't fit to how we drive normally - especially in heavy traffic. The one time I tried NoA, I activated it on the onramp, and upon entering the highway, it immediately wanted me to change to the left lane - with not a single car in sight.

So, I'm less than thrilled with Teslas assistance systems. Don't get me wrong, I love my Model 3 and would only part with it for a Model Y. But for the time being, I don't see EAP as an valuable option on European roads. Maybe Tesla has to do some more calibrating for Europe, I'll wait and see.

Oh, yeah, and then there's the legal situation in Europe. I don't see self-driving going beyond level 3 in my lifetime (I'm 60, so not all is lost). Problem is that our authorities are problem- oriented rather than solution-oriented...

Mr. Spacely

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I specifically waited to buy a car that had FSD, even if it isn't fully complete yet. I use NOA and all the self driving features every time I can and find them getting better with each software update. It is relaxing to have the basics of maintaining speed and staying you your lane provided for you. And I want to be able to drink/sleep and ride some day...

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got my car because it's not ICE, it's fast, it rides great, handles really well for how heavy it is and I enjoy the sound system though I wish it supported Car Play

FSD may someday drive me to/from work and then it will be valuable to me but since I enjoy driving it right now, I'm happy enough.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had no interest in FSD when I bought my car because it wasn't (and still isn't) available as a functionality. And I certainly wasn't going to prepay for something that may come to fruition at some indeterminate time in the future ("3 months maybe, six months definitely" notwithstanding). However, I'm open to see what may develop over the coming years in this arena, both in terms of technology and regulation. Maybe by the time I get too old to drive my car, it may be able to drive itself for me and I'll buy FSD then.

Last edited:

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was a first-day reservation holder for a Model 3 in large part because of the promise of FSD. I planned to get the option with a SR model.

But then life happened and I needed the car sooner, so I had to stretch to the RWD LR, and forego the option, figuring I could get it later.

Tesla then gave me a free trial of EAP for a month, and I was underwhelmed. A few elements were nice, but much of it seemed like it was just at the "novelty/gimmick" stage.

Then they had the "sale," and I decided to get just AP (TACC and Autosteer). I don't regret that--I like those features, and recently they got a lot better. I have almost no interest in NOA.

I'd be very interested in true L4 or L5 full-self driving if we ever get there--i.e., if the car could drive itself without me in it.

It's hard to say what intermediate steps would draw me in to purchasing FSD without it actually being L4. I posted a poll about it a while back, and since discovered that people interpreted some of the choices differently than I did, making the results difficult to interpret (but feel free to vote/change your vote if you'd like!). For example, I think Tesla is moving toward door-to-door NOA in the next year or two--which to me means constant driver monitoring, not L4 autonomy. In other words, I think Tesla wants you to be able to have AP engaged on surface streets, and to have the car try to make all the turns itself, but at the cost of a lot of hesitation, safe-ish mistakes, giving control back to the driver, and driver disengagements. That's what I mean by door-to-door NOA, and I have little interest in that. To me, they should focus instead on moving to L3 autonomy in limited situations. For example, another car company (Audi, I think), has a system where the car can drive itself in traffic jams, allowing the driver to check email, watch videos, or whatever. When the traffic jam breaks up, the driver takes over again. Or they could do a similar thing on limited-access divided highways (interstates, freeways, etc.). From exit ramp to exit ramp the car drives itself and allows the driver to do other things. Those features would be appealing to me, rather than yet more features that require constant monitoring and occasional overrides.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Other than those of us (and I'm not sure I'm included in this group) who are looking to one day contribute their car to the Tesla Fleet, I imagine most of us owners would generally be satisfied with a NoA level of automation. It's investors that see the potential of FSD to Tesla's bottom line that get all worked up about progress on FSD.

I do one day dream of being able to hop in the car late at night, setting my destination 12 hours away, and then going to sleep, waking up as I near my destination, but I don't really see that happening too soon. I also hope that as I get older and worse at driving that my car will be able to handle most driving tasks for me.

But neither of those were anywhere near the top of my list when I got my Model 3. I did get EAP with my Model 3, and it was only because of the $2000 offer to upgrade to FSD that I bought it. But I don't share Elon's optimism that it's right around the corner. And I'm okay with that. In the meantime I will enjoy my NoA and hope that my $2000 loan to Tesla is being used wisely to eventually get to FSD.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I originally had no interest in FSD. But as price increases were being “promised” and there was a $3k now or $5k later price as I bought the model 3, we included it. And as it was also to include a hardware upgrade, we post-purchased it for the X too. My intent in getting it was to have the most advanced options available to me if I want them. I’ve never expected to wake up one day and find out that they rolled out FSD last night. I have always expected this to be a gradual process. I had thought, tho, that there would be some differentiation by now - that having FSD would give me some extra feature, or that it would do a standard AP feature better. I’m still a believer that something will come of it, eventually.

I agree with many of the posts above that I do wish they would focus on perfecting NOA. Still way too many glitches in that. Continual recommendation for lane changes that make no sense. It too often slows down when I’m in the passing lane and signal that I want to move back to the right, in front of a slower car. (No... we need to keep our speed up, not slow down at this point.) But even with the glitches, the autopilot features have changed my life for the better. There is no going back. And I’m hoping FSD features will some day take us to an even better place.

evannole

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have little interest in FSD on surface streets; I don't think I would find it all that useful, and even in the small historic downtown in which I live, there are too many edge cases that I think any such system is going to struggle with for years to come: pedestrians still on the curb but about to walk into crosswalks, lanes that shift pretty dramatically, without the best markings, while passing through an intersection, yield signs at spots where you might not expect them, and so on.

What I am interested in, however, is the perfection of EAP on the interstate. The more I see, the more I am convinced that HW3 is going to be required for that. Moreover, I am afraid of the potential cessation of EAP software development of HW2.5; I think it likely that Tesla will soon start to put all of its EAP development efforts towards HW3, basically freezing EAP under HW2.5 more or less where it is today, which is good, but not good enough, in my book. So, as much as I don't really want to spend another $3,000, I am leaning towards springing for FSD at that price while I can, simply so I can get the new computer.

If EAP could get to a point where I had to do little to no supervision in urban interstate traffic, but still had to do all the driving on surface streets, I would be very happy.

Silvermagic3

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I saw the Electrek article today about the price being lowered to $3K, I thought the same thing. Would it be worth it just to get the HW3.

Any thoughts on how long it'll be at $3K?

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I saw the Electrek article today about the price being lowered to $3K, I thought the same thing. Would it be worth it just to get the HW3.

Any thoughts on how long it'll be at $3K?
Tough to know, but history says that big changes happen quarterly.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it likely that Tesla will soon start to put all of its EAP development efforts towards HW3, basically freezing EAP under HW2.5 more or less where it is today, which is good, but not good enough, in my book.
Tesla is obsessed with safety.

So I think EAP on HW 2.5 will keep improving, because Tesla will see that as enhancing the safety of its fleet. After enhanced summon, I doubt there will be any new features, but I'd guess the existing features will keep getting better for quite a while to come.

And once that stops being possible on HW 2.5, I've been predicting for a while that they'll make the HW 3.0 (but not the FSD features) available for free to everyone in order to further enhance safety across the fleet. (As a wild guess, I think we might get that announcement somewhere around late 2021, with the free upgrades actually taking place in 2022. And no, I don't believe in Elon's fully autonomous robo-taxies next year timeline!)

Smokey S

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I purchased FSD because I knew it would get more expensive when it finally came out as fully complete with the new hardware.. Plus, as a senior citizen FSD will be invaluable to me as I grow older and might not be able to drive myself.

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I want a self-driving car. Before owning a Tesla I didn't get much enjoyment from driving and would really rather read a book. (Now it's more fun, but depending on what book I'd still rather be reading. :))

My Tesla was a little bit more than I'd rather pay for a car, so I passed on FSD at initial purchase. It seemed a good choice to wait and pay more later, when the feature was actually implemented. But during the "sale" in March I decided that at $2000, FSD would never be cheaper and bought it.

I really appreciate EAP whenever I am in stop-and-go traffic as well as highways. It has made road trips possible for me again, because I don't have to grip the wheel for hours or pay an exhausting level of attention.

I'm looking forward to FSD and a future full of autonomous cars. Unless I go for a Model Y, I am hoping that this is the last time I own a car. After this I'd like to subscribe to an autonomous fleet and be able to call for a car not just for everyday use, but in any city I travel to. I'm hoping to never have to face the decision around when I'm too old to drive because by then I won't need to.