How I wash my car in the garage and get great results!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some background, I was always a weekly car washer and somewhere along the way between getting older, having kids, and how hot it is in Florida that just stopped happening. Before my Model 3 came, I wanted to get myself back into the rhythm of a weekly car wash, but simultaneously find an easier way. I want to walk you through what I do each weekend and what I do in-between. My car does not have ceramic or PPF on it, so these steps become all the more important in maintaining that beautiful Midnight Silver paint! It is important to note that I have personally purchased each product mentioned in these videos and the details below.

Full Wash

Quick Detail

Hyper Seal & Gloss Enhancer

Products Used
  • Chemical Guys Fluffer Miracle Supra Microfiber Towel (Amazon)
  • Chemical Guys Glass Waffle Weave Towel (Amazon)
  • Chemical Guys Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towel (Amazon)
  • Chemical Guys Workhorse Black Professional Grade Microfiber Towel (Amazon)
  • OPT Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer (Amazon)
  • OPT Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (Amazon)
  • OPT Optimum Opti-Clean (Amazon)
  • OPT Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect (Amazon)
  • OPT Opti-Coat Hyper Seal (Direct)
  • Trinova Tire Shine Spray (Amazon)
  • Zane Adjustable Vehicle Wheel Shield (Amazon)
Other Key Products Not Shown in Videos
  • Detailer's Pride Total Interior Cleaner (Discontinued)
  • OPT Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax (Amazon)
  • OPT Optimum Opti-Clay (Amazon)
  • Stoner Invisible Glass (Amazon)

img_2901-copy-jpg.10327

I hope you all find this helpful!

Pictures of the clean car!

screen-shot-2018-06-17-at-11-12-43-am-png.10328
screen-shot-2018-06-17-at-11-12-25-am-png.10329
screen-shot-2018-06-17-at-11-12-04-am-png.10330
screen-shot-2018-06-17-at-11-11-37-am-png.10331

EDIT - original post is completely updated with 3 videos and fixed direct links to the products used.

Last edited:

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great writeup and product list, thank you! Long gone are my days of dozens of car wash products and weekly cleanings, though I still have four shelves of them in the basement. Lost track of what the good stuff is these days. Will check some of these out. (here is my ancient list)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very nice. Lots of work. The no rinse wash concept is interesting. What about after a rain or any mud - power wash or water hose or ?

That will make the silver crowd jealous. Go MSM.
The bulleted list makes it seem like a lot of work, but in reality I find it to be much easier than the old school way. In addition, you get to work in the garage since you’re not using the hose and you can pace yourself and not worry about water spots.

As for a very dirty car — I haven’t come across any issues with this method though my car never gets that dirty and I don’t contend with snow/salt/mud.

Great writeup and product list, thank you! Long gone are my days of dozens of car wash products and weekly cleanings, though I still have four shelves of them in the basement. Lost track of what the good stuff is these days. Will check some of these out. (here is my ancient list)
I remember those days well. I used to spend hours on my car alone. I’ll have to try to dig up my old process from the Audi forums. I finally purged the products a few months ago after seeing success with this method.

Maxx77

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for posting. I may give this a shot.

Just fyi, the link to the black microfiber towel goes to the wrong page, and the link to the tire shine spray goes to a dead page.
Thanks, I’ll get those updated!!

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A few things you can modify to speed things up...

1) I take the rinseless solution and fill up a pump sprayer and use it to pre rinse the car... you can actually see the solution lift the dirt up
2) get a bunch of microfiber towels into the clean wash bucket... maybe use the Costco MF towels. Maybe one per panel. So when you are done with a panel just drop it in the rinse bucket... that way you don’t use the same towel over and over.
3) if the car is really dirty then I will snow foam it first then proceed with rinseless

I like using chemical guys rinseless only because I can buy it concentrated in bulk which gives me many many more washes. A bit more sudsy, and very lubricating to avoid swirls and scratches. Then I use Chemical Guys V07 as a drying agent when I dry the car.

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just finished my first "SoFlaModel3" style wash. The car was not super dirty, but definitely dusty and had lots of bug splatters on the front. Previously I had been using a hose and one bucket with an old ratty sponge, probably not the best :oops: But this method worked well, car is nice and shiny! Didn't take too long either. The air is so dry here in CA, that I think it's better to do 2 panels at a time rather than 4. By the time I got to drying the first washed panel, it was starting to dry! Pics to come later.

I also shared your method with my dad, since he'll be washing my mom's new Model 3 after they pick it up next Tuesday!! Thanks again for the great writeup!!! :D

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just finished my first "SoFlaModel3" style wash. The car was not super dirty, but definitely dusty and had lots of bug splatters on the front. Previously I had been using a hose and one bucket with an old ratty sponge, probably not the best :oops: But this method worked well, car is nice and shiny! Didn't take too long either. The air is so dry here in CA, that I think it's better to do 2 panels at a time rather than 4. By the time I got to drying the first washed panel, it was starting to dry! Pics to come later.

I also shared your method with my dad, since he'll be washing my mom's new Model 3 after they pick it up next Tuesday!! Thanks again for the great writeup!!! :D
This method uses so little water that I’ve done this in the garage a few times. If I’m lazy I’ll do the whole car at once then dry it at once. I’ll use a detailing spray like chemical guys V07 as I’m drying to lubricate the drying towel (I use the chemical guys wooly mammoth), add more synthetic sealant, and remove and streaks or spots.

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK got some pics. I also noticed this morning that when applying the tire shine, there must have been a breeze. There are little spots on the left side door and quarter panel that I'll have to wipe down. It's amazing how much dust gets built up on it after just a few short miles of driving though, can't see it in the pics fortunately, but up close it didn't look nearly as good as it did yesterday right after the wash!

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 , I only have one word for you: Fan-tas-tic!!

Wow, long gone are the days that I used to wash my car... and even then with half or more of the products. Very impressive. If I thought I would have more time before, being early ‘retired’, reality is proving me wrong. Got up at 7:30 this am and gotta WORK!! ;)

Anyways, will take your post as motivation to give it a shot at some point. My local friend told me yesterday he uses his high pressure washer... :)

Henchman

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is exactly why I did a DIY ceramic coating using Feynlab Ceramic the 2nd day I had the car.
I now simply spray the car with a hose. Then a quick hand wash, another quick rinse, and finish with Carbon Flex Vitalize spray on sealer.

I did our Model 3 and Nissan leaf yesterday in an hour using 1 bucket of water.

I highly recommend a DIY ceramic job.
If I didn't have a driveway, I'd simply take it to a self was and do the job there

jasonmason

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some background, I was always a weekly car washer and somewhere along the way between getting older, having kids, and how hot it is in Florida that just stopped happening. Before my Model 3 came, I wanted to get myself back into the rhythm of a weekly car wash, but simultaneously find an easier way. Well friends, my Model 3 is 11 car washes old (1 wash was skipped) and I want to walk you through what I do each weekend and what I do in-between. My car does not have ceramic or PPF on it, so these steps become all the more important in maintaining that beautiful Midnight Silver paint!

View attachment 7962

Products Used
  • Chemical Guys Fluffer Miracle Supra Microfiber Towel 24"x16" ($18.99) (3 3-packs in different colors)
  • Chemical Guys Glass Waffle Weave Towel 24"x16" ($7.99)
  • Chemical Guys Workhorse Black Professional Grade Microfiber Towel 16"x16" ($6.49)
  • DP Total Interior Cleaner (May be discontinued, will seek a new product)
  • OPT Grit Guard x2 (Does not appear to be sold separately anymore, but any will do)
  • OPT Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine ($15.99)
  • OPT Optimum No-Rinse Wash & Wax ($19.99)
  • OPT Optimum Opti-Clean ($8.99)
  • OPT Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect ($9.99)
  • OPT Wash Bucket x2 (Does not appear to be sold separately anymore, but any will do)
  • Stoner Invisible Glass ($3.54)
  • Trinova Tire Shine Spray ($12.97)
  • Zane Adjustable Vehicle Wheel Shield ($19.95)
Weekly wash process (~1 hour and 45 minutes for 2 cars)
  • Vacuum carpet in frunk, front seats, rear seats, 2 carseats, and the trunk
  • Use a fresh microfiber towel to wipe down seats, dash, console areas, steering wheel areas, seat backs, and door trim areas
  • Fill both buckets with ~2 gallons of water
  • Add 2 capfuls of OPT Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine to one of the buckets. This is now your "wash bucket". Note every fourth weekend, I use OPT Optimum No-Rinse Wash & Wax instead. The other bucket without solution is now your "rinse bucket"
  • Take one of the Chemical Guys Fluffer Miracle Supra Microfiber Towels and let it soak in the wash bucket
  • Remove the towel and ring it out leaving it damp but not dripping
  • Fold the towel into quarters (you'll use the towel on 4 panels/areas before returning to rinse the towel
  • Wash half of the windshield, then the other half, then flip your towel and wash the roof on side, fold the towel over itself and wash the rear window, then finally flip the towel and wash the other side of the roof
  • Now take the towel and clean it in the rinse bucket using the grit guard at the bottom to help remove any particles
  • Now ring out the towel over the rinse bucket and drop it into the wash bucket
  • Take a fresh Chemical Guys Fluffer Miracle Supra Microfiber Towel and dry the clean areas following the same path you washed
  • Now place the towel down somewhere clean (never the ground)
  • Now grab your wash towel from the wash bucket and fold it into quarters again
  • Wash the top area of the trunk, flip the towel wash the rear side of the car, fold the towel over itself and wash the other rear side of the car, flip the towel and wash the lower area of the trunk
  • Now take the towel and clean it in the rinse bucket using the grit guard at the bottom to help remove any particles
  • Now grab your drying towel and dry the areas your just cleaned following the same path you washed
  • Wash one window and door, flip the towel and wash another window and door, fold the towel over itself and wash another window and door, flip the towel and wash the last window and door (include the side mirrors when doing the front door on each side
  • Now grab your drying towel and dry the areas your just cleaned following the same path you washed
  • Wash the hood, flip the towel and wash one front side of the car, fold the towel over itself and wash the other front side of the car, flip the towel and wash the front bumper
  • Grab 2 fresh towels and repeat for car #2
  • Apply a light spray of OPT Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect to each window individually and use your Chemical Guys Glass Waffle Weave Towel to wipe dry
  • Grab one of the Chemical Guys Workhorse Black Professional Grade Microfiber Towels and drop it in your wash bucket -- following the same process you followed before use it to wash each of your wheels
  • Grab a fresh Chemical Guys Workhorse Black Professional Grade Microfiber Towel and use it to dry each of the wheels
  • Grab the Zane Adjustable Vehicle Wheel Shield and hold it against each wheel while applying a thin and even coat of the Trinova Tire Shine Spray
  • Wipe down any over spray and you're done!
Every other day in between washes (~10 minutes)
  • Apply a light coat of OPT Optimum Opti-Clean and use a fresh Chemical Guys Fluffer Miracle Supra Microfiber Towel to wipe down the car paying close attention to bugs especially
I hope you all find this helpful!

Pictures of the car!

View attachment 7966

View attachment 7967

View attachment 7968

View attachment 7969

View attachment 7970
How dark did you tint your windows?

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice system you got going @SoFlaModel3 !

Just one thing that caught my eye that you might be into if your as OCD as me... take some matte black spray paint to that plate pass tag on your windshield to hide the ugly white box. ;)

Done it for many years and have yet to have an issue reading the tag. If you need to exchange/return just dip it in some acetone and it comes right off.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How dark did you tint your windows?
30% all around (nothing on the windshield and no tint on the sunroof portion).

Just one thing that caught my eye that you might be into if your as OCD as me... take some matte black spray paint to that plate pass tag on your windshield to hide the ugly white box. ;)

Done it for many years and have yet to have an issue reading the tag. If you need to exchange/return just dip it in some acetone and it comes right off.
Where have you been all my life? Thank you, thank you, and thank you! I never have to return the device, so I’ll be doing this for sure!!

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Where have you been all my life? Thank you, thank you, and thank you! I never have to return the device, so I’ll be doing this for sure!!
No Prob! ;)

Example Before & After attached on my soon to be lease return...

Attachments

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

In progress!

f61dc635-a22f-4977-a481-a3ca115ea19c-jpeg.8621
b6fd3fa3-face-4956-8387-1d25f2c36ba2-jpeg.8622