Question How hot will the interior get with that glass roof?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JPB

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
For those of you in very warm/hot climates, do you have any issues with the glass roof creating too much heat in the Y? I test drove one recently on a bright sunny day that was about 78 degrees and although I didn't feel much heat from it initially, as soon as I moved my hand up to check the temp of the glass, I noticed it was very hot. I'm wondering what that will be like in late July or August when the temps can go above 95 degrees on some days.

slacker775

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I use cabin overheat protection and I’m never over ~100F. I never get in and find the car boiling like many other cars. And once the AC starts working, it cools off really quick.

Reactions: 1 person

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For those of you in very warm/hot climates, do you have any issues with the glass roof creating too much heat in the Y? I test drove one recently on a bright sunny day that was about 78 degrees and although I didn't feel much heat from it initially, as soon as I moved my hand up to check the temp of the glass, I noticed it was very hot. I'm wondering what that will be like in late July or August when the temps can go above 95 degrees on some days.

As we head into our 3rd summer, this year with a new glass roof, I've never had an issue with heat through the roof. As you evidently did, I periodically do the back of the hand test and the temps at the glass are always quite comfortable.

In our first year, at a Supercharger, we saw another couple put a cover in the roof and we asked why. They indicated that theirs's got hot. My wife and I both looked at each other and thought it was weird, as ours had NEVER been an issue. This was a Florida panhandle trip in August.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Welcome to the forum and hopefully to the Model Y. As you know the Y just started deliveries earlier this year, which means there haven't been many super hot days for people to compare to. However the Y isn't much different from the 3 and there are many threads about that topic here. Those will likely give you the best indication about how it is managed. The short answer, in TX I have no problem with it. You'll read stories of some getting it tinted, others don't. Many, including me, use the cabin overheat mentioned above. You'll never deal with another car as hot as you have with traditional ICE vehicles. Welcome to the forum, use that search and you'll likely find several hundred replies on how hot and how some think the tint helps on the roof.

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From what I've discovered, a metal roof will heat the interior of the car, but then trap it inside. Glass will allow a lot of heat to radiate out as well, so the interior temperature mediates somewhat.

The Tesla roof glass also has a UV coating, which means the sun beating on you through the roof isn't oppressive, even here in Florida.

jsmay311

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
As others have noted, the glass roof is coated to block a lot of the light and heat from getting in the cabin, so it's not a big concern.

In contrast, I quickly found in my Model 3 that heat from light coming through the side windows was a bigger issue, as the black seats can soak up that heat with the right sun angle and can be really painful to sit on. So I ended up getting a 50% tint that's specifically geared towards blocking UV and heat on the windows to block out as much heat as possible without reducing nighttime visibility too much. I'm glad I did.

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As others have noted, the glass roof is coated to block a lot of the light and heat from getting in the cabin, so it's not a big concern.

In contrast, I quickly found in my Model 3 that heat from light coming through the side windows was a bigger issue, as the black seats can soak up that heat with the right sun angle and can be really painful to sit on. So I ended up getting a 50% tint that's specifically geared towards blocking UV and heat on the windows to block out as much heat as possible without reducing nighttime visibility too much. I'm glad I did.
Happy to report that the hottest my white seats have ever been is when the seat heater is set to 3.

JCE

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Also cooling the car down with the app several minutes prior to getting into the car is very handy

Ellett

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The UV protection built into the roof glass is v-e-r-y effective. My Model 3 stays cooler than my previous metal-roofed cars. And with the Tesla, I could turn on the a/c when I headed back to the car, although I haven't had to do that yet.

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
The UV protection built into the roof glass is v-e-r-y effective. My Model 3 stays cooler than my previous metal-roofed cars. And with the Tesla, I could turn on the a/c when I headed back to the car, although I haven't had to do that yet.

This is also my experience. The tinting on the roof glass is really significant; it's like being in the shade of a building. The heat buildup through the side windows is the bigger issue.

I also use Overheat Protection, where the car cools itself when the interior temp goes over 115 degrees. This uses battery power but it's only an issue if you are parking when the battery power is near 20%. I don't routinely let the battery go below 50%. I don't expect the Model Y to be different in this sense.

JPB

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Welcome to the forum and hopefully to the Model Y. As you know the Y just started deliveries earlier this year, which means there haven't been many super hot days for people to compare to. However the Y isn't much different from the 3 and there are many threads about that topic here. Those will likely give you the best indication about how it is managed. The short answer, in TX I have no problem with it. You'll read stories of some getting it tinted, others don't. Many, including me, use the cabin overheat mentioned above. You'll never deal with another car as hot as you have with traditional ICE vehicles. Welcome to the forum, use that search and you'll likely find several hundred replies on how hot and how some think the tint helps on the roof.

Thank you for the feedback and the warm welcome. Like many others, I'm (impatiently) waiting for my Y to get here. Still no ETA, but hoping it's soon. Based on everyone's feedback, I'm definitely going to tint the front side glass to reduce the heat.

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Just took delivery of my Model Y! I'll let you know if I think it gets hotter than the Model 3 this summer.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We live in Florida and are used to some heat. However the glass roof DOES allow heat into the car and on long trips begins to fry the top of your head. The problem was easily resolved by purchasing the Tesla sunshade which clips in in seconds. (The overall temperature in the car is never a problem. We did not tint the side windows and don't have an issue with heat from the sides.)

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just got my Model Y last week. This weekend we were sitting in a parking lot and I noticed that my right leg was blistering hot, while my left one was quite comfortable.
I was in the passenger seat with the window rolled down. Direct sunlight was close to painful, under the roof was maybe a degree or two warmer, but felt like a solid roof.

This is similar with my Model 3, which was one of the early ones and had the glass replaced earlier this year.

Reactions: 1 person

Yanquetino

I was in Las Vegas yesterday in my Model 3. We were perfectly comfortable in the car, with no noticeable heat from the glass above our heads, in this temperature:

2020-06-24 113°F.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

angeloxnet

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I am quite surprised with the Model Y roof, the UV protection built in definitely helps in direct sunlight,

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From what I've discovered, a metal roof will heat the interior of the car, but then trap it inside. Glass will allow a lot of heat to radiate out as well, so the interior temperature mediates somewhat.

The Tesla roof glass also has a UV coating, which means the sun beating on you through the roof isn't oppressive, even here in Florida.

This is also my experience. The tinting on the roof glass is really significant; it's like being in the shade of a building. The heat buildup through the side windows is the bigger issue.

I also use Overheat Protection, where the car cools itself when the interior temp goes over 115 degrees. This uses battery power but it's only an issue if you are parking when the battery power is near 20%. I don't routinely let the battery go below 50%. I don't expect the Model Y to be different in this sense.

For those of you basing this on your Model 3 experiences, please be aware that not all roofs are created equal!

I had a November 2018 build Model 3 that had the "yellow" roof coating (ie the one that turned yellow in the rain, as opposed to the one that turned red in the rain) and in the blazing Houston sun, never felt the need to tint the roof, even in the hottest sun.

Fast forward to my replacement, the March 2020 build, which has no color change in the rain, indicating a different type of coating. Immediately upon delivery, I noticed that there was much more glare through the roof, even when it wasn't that hot out. Once it started getting hot in late May, I noticed that there is WAY more radiant heat coming through. Whereas before I could put my hand on the roof and never feel anything more than "warm", how it's HOT and I can feel very warm temperatures at head level. I've done some long road trips in the car and it's a VERY apparent difference. Very sad to see. I'll have to tint the roof now.

Not sure what the Model Y is but I've not seen any posts with the "colored" roof so suspect it has the less effective coating of newer build Model 3's.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.