How do you get replacement Model 3 cabin air filters?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

ravisorg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

mcmoyer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
does anyone have a 3rd party set that they know fits correctly? I ordered a set off of Amazon and they were just slightly taller than the OEM ones. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get them in there without them collapsing at a bit and leaving a wide open area for contaminants to pass by.

coredumperror

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
does anyone have a 3rd party set that they know fits correctly? I ordered a set off of Amazon and they were just slightly taller than the OEM ones. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get them in there without them collapsing at a bit and leaving a wide open area for contaminants to pass by.
Well, shiz, I was hoping the set I ordered off Amazon (likely the same set as you) would be the right size, since the one I ordered off Alibaba definitely was not. IT has the same problem of being just a smidge too tall, and also a smidge too thin. Like 2 mm in both directions, but that was enough to ensure the second one did not fit at all.

I threw out the Alibaba ones before the Amazon ones arrived, and a Tesla mobile tech came and replaced mine with OEM ones before then, too. So I've had the Amazon ones sitting on a table, waiting for me to use them next year. Now I think I'm just gonna toss them.

By the way, replacing the damn things yourself is HARD. I thought it'd be a breeze, after how easy it was on my Prius, but those filters are located in a really inconvenient spot! It took me over an hour to FAIL to install the Chinese knockoffs.

I'm just going to pay Tesla to replace them when I need to, rather than trying to do it myself next time. It's $75, including parts and labor, for Mobile Service to replace your filters.

mcmoyer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI: These filters fit well. They are a couple of millimeters longer than the OEM ones, but there was no issue getting them in

Amazon product
Also, I realized today that O'Reilly Auto Parts has the Kool-it spray for only $11.99 - quite a bit cheaper than Amazon.

I put 2 cans of Kool-it on the evaporator tonight and replaced the filters. I sure hope this keeps the smell at bay for a while at least.
img_0606-jpeg.30437

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I finally replaced by filters after a year. I also used one can of Kool-it, that I purchased a few months back. I only say that because I tried to order some more and it is not available at most places. The filters were pretty dirty but I was mainly after removing the wet dog smell. I was not sure if it was the evaporator/filters or that fact that I had my dogs, sometime wet, in my car a lot. What a difference it made. It has only been a week but if the smell comes back I will gladly go through the pain of doing it again, even if it is monthly. The smell was driving me crazy and I tried the other techniques without success. Changing them out was a bit of a pain for an old guy, but the evaoprator cleaner was the easiest part. I would think you get more cleaner in the can but it worked. Two cans would be better but I am very happy with the results. Filters purchased on amazon.
img_0128-jpg.30444

mcmoyer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The first set I got off of Amazon was was a different manufactures and they were both a little longer and a little taller. That set I couldn't get in at all. This set was just a little longer, but the exact same height. The went in without any issue.

coredumperror

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it wasn't such a gigantic pain in the ass to attempt to replace my filters the first time, only to fail because they didn't fit, I'd try again. I happened to have a Tesla mobile ranger come to do a recall repair on my charge port, and he installed replacement filters, too. So I have my Amazon purchase sitting on a desk, waiting to perhaps get used next year. But it was SUCH a pain, that I think I'm just going to have mobile service do it for me next time, too. It was $75 for parts and labor.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But it was SUCH a pain, that I think I'm just going to have mobile service do it for me next time, too. It was $75 for parts and labor.
I would consider using the mobile service next time. If they would clean the evaporator it would be a no-brainer. I might get more efficient the next time doing it myself. I think the service app has made some improvements but when I tried this months ago I could only make a service appointment at the service center and alow for mobile service. If I could make a mobile appointment for some time in the next two months for this non critical service I would do it.

coredumperror

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's no specific checkbox or anything for "I want mobile service" in the Tesla app's appointment scheduler, but if you put "I want mobile service for this issue" in the description, they'll send a ranger rather than scheduling you at the SC.

Jay C

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I purchased the XTechnor Tesla Model 3 Air Filter kit. Contains two filters. They do not fit and I returned them to Amazon. They have a foam gasket surrounding a rigid plastic frame for the filters. The too weak tags for removing the filters are not correctly located and the filters simply do not fit into my 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor. Also beware of instructions. Some do not warn that a Torx head screw holds the top of the door in place. If you pry against the bottom of the door, it will break. After struggling with these Chinese made replacements, I carefully blew the dirt off the 1 year old OEM filters and put them back in with no problem. It's just that my lower back is killing me from squeezing myself under the dash and using a flex-drive to remove the Torx screw. Maybe I'll just take the car in or have the mobile guy stop by. Less pain might be worth the expense.

coredumperror

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Less pain might be worth the expense.
Yuuuup. That's exactly why I'll be paying Tesla to install replacement filters in the future. I gave it the old college try, only to be equally disappointed by ****** Chinese knockoff filters. the filters didn't fit, but my back still hurt.

On my Prius, it was just stupid to pay a dealer to install them, because they charge you through the nose for both the part and the incredibly easy labor. But the labor is not easy on a Model 3.

PaulK

Country
Country
Slave, that eBay sale is for only one. Did you receive those filters and find they are a quality replacement for OEM?

I just placed an order with EVTuning and will post my impression when I get them.