Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Hey, maybe the lower spoke of the steering wheel is a touch pad but just for simple strokes:

1) up/down with two fingers increases/decreases CC speed;

2) up/down with one finger increases/decreases TACC following distance;

3) press and hold disengages.

Guess the same could be done with the buttons/scroll wheels on one or both of the other spokes. I'm sure they'll still be used for resetting the UI.

Reactions: EValuatED
My assumption is that you will configure default settings for autopilot on the screen. The system maxes out at 5 MPH over the posted speed limit.

You will set that, say you like 5 MPH over.

Then you will set your car length distance between you and the car in front of you.

Pull back on the stalk and the magic happens.

Remember it's auto pilot, not cruise control so you probably won't be monkeying with the settings left and right. Once in autopilot, the left portion of the center screen would present that ability to adjust speed and distance on demand.

Reactions: EVfusion
Autopilot is TACC + autosteer at this point, though.
And will remain that way for some time.
Later, the car will prompt you to go to full Autopilot, "FSD ready," to which you'll reply "Make it so."

Gesture Sleeve Thumb Event Collar

Discussion starter · #28 ·
So, it appears they've quite literally shoved all the settings that aren't on the stalks on the screen.

Wipers are turned on and adjusted on the screen (swipe on row of icons on the left pane, then tap on the wipers).
Lights (low beams, fog) are turned on on the screen (tap on the car icon, then adjust on the quick settings screen).

It's reasonable to assume TACC related features, once TACC is engaged via the stalk, are also adjusted on screen (speed and distance).

So, it appears they've quite literally shoved all the settings that aren't on the stalks on the screen.

Wipers are turned on and adjusted on the screen (swipe on row of icons on the left pane, then tap on the wipers).
Lights (low beams, fog) are turned on on the screen (tap on the car icon, then adjust on the quick settings screen).

It's reasonable to assume TACC related features, once TACC is engaged via the stalk, are also adjusted on screen (speed and distance).
The gadget-freak / IT guy in me kinda admires the way they've pared down the physical controls to the very basics.
Even while the engineer in me screams "this is wrong", LOL
I am very impressed. I think it's an amazing take on simplification. I also think the 2 customizable wheels on the steering wheel will be big.

Hey lights and wipers are (forgive me for being cheesy) on autopilot anyway ;)

Reactions: Badback

Oh, I thought the swipe for the wipers revealed the wiper speed, but I couldn't make it out well enough on the test drive video.

Hey, here is a cool thing I think happens... The turn signal stalk doesn't click down in the up or down position until you turn your steering to make the turn! I'm so happy if this is the case... It is like the BMW system on the i3. The computer just measures steering angle to determine when to stop blinking as opposed to a mechanical thing.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Hey, here is a cool thing I think happens... The turn signal stalk doesn't click down in the up or down position until you turn your steering to make the turn! I'm so happy if this is the case... It is like the BMW system on the i3. The computer just measures steering angle to determine when to stop blinking as opposed to a mechanical thing.
That would make sense.

Sidenote... I drove a car once, a Skoda, i think (might have been Seat - something from the VW group in any case), that somehow consistently kept doing the exact wrong thing with the signal (mechanically). It wouldn't "catch" when it was supposed to, and the angle at which it "catches" and then "releases" the turn signal was somehow totally wrong, so it would *always* remain on after taking a 90 degree turn, or wouldn't stay on throughout the turn.

Annoying as hell.

Kept looking for the indicator lights when I heard the turn signal clicks but couldn't find them. Anybody see 'em?

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Kept looking for the indicator lights when I heard the turn signal clicks but couldn't find them. Anybody see 'em?
Haven't seen them either.
Expected to see them up with the indicator lights (where the (H), low beams and seatbelts warning was), but nope.

Has anyone else noticed the power meter colors are green and white, not green and orange?
Might've been a camera artifact though.

Has anyone else noticed the power meter colors are green and white, not green and orange?
Might've been a camera artifact though.
Yes, I saw that too. Commented in a different thread about it though. Just a really skinny bar. We will probably see a different UI by the time the employees provide feedback.

I think the turn signals will be above the speedometer.

Yes, I saw that too. Commented in a different thread about it though. Just a really skinny bar. We will probably see a different UI by the time the employees provide feedback.

I think the turn signals will be above the speedometer.
Turn signals are left and right of speedometer. Confirmed at 1:10 in this video...

Oh, this is the one where I saw the glitch on the vehicle display at 24 seconds. It changes from driving to parked vehicle.
Your eyes are good. I saw the car turn red but didn't think much of it lol.

Reactions: orcinus
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.