How do the wheels effect real life range? (FACTS)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

What do you think the range difference will be between 18" aero and 19" sport wheels?

• <2%

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • 2-4%

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • 4-6%

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • 6-8%

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • 8-10%

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • >10%

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
for long diffrence travel?
better range? or no?
There's still very little data out there that supports the idea that those aero covers really provide that much more range. Guy at the tesla store claims about 3% difference between aero and sport wheels. Even at 5% is the extra 10-15 miles really worth it?

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's still very little data out there that supports the idea that those aero covers really provide that much more range. Guy at the tesla store claims about 3% difference between aero and sport wheels. Even at 5% is the extra 10-15 miles really worth it?
In a word, YES. It's worth it. Any power consumption saved ultimately helps the planet.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s not just the aero covers. The 18” wheel/tire combo is significantly lighter than the 19” Sport wheels. Less mass to accelerate, maintain and slow down. It’s the combo of the weight and aero cover that increases range.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s not just the aero covers. The 18” wheel/tire combo is significantly lighter than the 19” Sport wheels. Less mass to accelerate, maintain and slow down. It’s the combo of the weight and aero cover that increases range.
I would agree with that, but there still isn't any data to backup the assumption.

tracksyde

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A reminder:
less rim weight => less energy use during city drives
aeros (less air resistance) => less energy use during highway drives
higher sidewalls of tyres => more comfortable ride (equal rubbercompound and pressure)

narrower tyres => less frontal area and less air resistance

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know there have been multiple discussions on other threads about this, but I'd like to discuss FACTS here. What is the real world range difference between:

1) 19" sport wheels
2) 18" aero wheels
3) 18" aero covers taken off
4) Other after market wheels?

I know comfort is pretty subjective, so I don't really wanna go there, but at some point we should be able to come up with a definitive understanding of what the range difference is. There have been many assumptions between 2%-10% range difference, but nothing substantial to backup any of those claims.

Any thoughts of what would be the best way to test this out? I assume we'd have to have apples to apples comparison. Two people charge their cars to 80% and then drive on freeways/side roads at a certain speed for a certain amount of miles?

There are two main components:
component 1) aerodynamic drag. 19" vs 18" without covers are similar, though not the same. 19" vs 18" with covers are very different. But this difference is mostly noticeable at high speed (not city driving) - more than 5% is expected in this configuration (tire blend included)
component 2) tire rolling resistance. Not about factory wheels but about tire itself. Of course any tire with correct size can be mounted. So YMWV according to how flexible/sticky the blend is. Is not speed dependent.

Model 3 ride is not soft on neither wheels. And it is definitely stiff on 19". This has been confirmed by many owners.

*if you have emotional distress with word "stiff" - replace it with "sporty".

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting. So what does that translate to in real world range?
You still don’t seem to believe it. With 18” Aeros 12% more range for a car driving with 50 mph on a highway than with 19” sport rims. Effect will be even higher at higher speeds. Aeros are intended for just that.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You still don’t seem to believe it. With 18” Aeros 12% more range for a car driving with 50 mph on a highway than with 19” sport rims. Effect will be even higher at higher speeds. Aeros are intended for just that.
yup, you're right, I absolutely don't believe it. Reports so far have stated that the LR version with the sports wheels actually do get 310 miles per charge on the freeway. If what you say is true, then the Aero wheels would get a range of 347.2 miles and even more on side roads. There's no way that could be true. My friend with a model 3 with 18s said the car reported a 314 mile range. I don't know how accurate that is, but that makes a whole lot more sense than 347+ miles.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yup, you're right, I absolutely don't believe it. Reports so far have stated that the LR version with the sports wheels actually do get 310 miles per charge on the freeway. If what you say is true, then the Aero wheels would get a range of 347.2 miles and even more on side roads. There's no way that could be true. My friend with a model 3 with 18s said the car reported a 314 mile range. I don't know how accurate that is, but that makes a whole lot more sense than 347+ miles.
What the car reports depends on previous driving habit.
EPA reports max 334 m for 18” Aero with 55 mph. 19” sport will get you in the region of 290.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Check out this video. The consumption was 270 Wh/mi with 18" aero covers on and 282 Wh/mi with 18" wheels aero covers off. That means without the covers, it was (282-270)/270= 4.4% higher.

This is awesome and exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Now if someone could do an identical video between the 18s and 19s that would be awesome!

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The data is here in the EPA document:

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/FOI_HTSLV00.0L13_APPIPT1.PDF

Page 16 of the pdf

Vehicle configuration #0 is 18” Aeros, road load hp @ 50mph = 9.95
Sub configuration #1 is 19” Sports, rlhp @ 50mph = 11.13

So the Model 3 with 19s takes ~12% more hp to maintain 50mph
That document is a very interesting read, lots of neat bits of info in there or maybe I'm just a automotive geek. Info like 3 quarts of synthetic ATF in the trans-axle and my favorite quote that describes the motor in detail: The motor is a 3‐phase AC internal permanent magnet motor utilizing a six‐pole, high‐frequency design with inverter‐controlled magnetic
flux. So, I'll have a Magnetic Flux controlled Inverter Capacitor thingy....just like back to the future!

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Based on the coefficients (that are calculated by a "coastdown" test) in the document and the formula:

Drag = (speed*A + speed*B^2 + speed*C^3)/375

i tried to calculate drag at different speeds. The difference in percent seems to be almost constant regardless of speed. Does it look right?

Attachments