How are you justifying a new car?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A Car is a depreciating asset. Whats your personal logic for splashing out? :)
because I don't buy things for their depreciating value ;)
the last new car I bought will be 18 years and a month or two old by the time I get mine, so if I own the Model 3 as long, I'll be getting my money's worth out of it no matter it's resale value.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A Car is a depreciating asset. Whats your personal logic for splashing out? :)
I'm retired and kids are grown and flown. House is almost paid off. My current car will be 17 years old by the time my Model 3 arrives. My wife didn't bat an eye when I told her last year that I was going to stand in line to reserve it (indeed, she has Tesla-lust almost as much as I do). So, all-in-all, no justification necessary! ;)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
My existing cars are a 2000 Insight with a dead hybrid battery pack, roof leaks, failing starter, and nearly 800k kilometers on it. My other car is an even older, even worse shape '93 Ford. I live in a country where EVs have no taxes (gasoline cars are very heavily taxed), gasoline is $7-8 USD/gal, and electricity is cheap and clean (aka, the car basically pays for itself).

Not hard to justify ;)

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
1. Needed a second car. Previously we got by as a one-car household, but that's no longer the case.
2. Wanted a Tesla ever since the Model S came out.
3. Wanted a Tesla that could get to LA on one charge (I know, I know, lots of SC's en route, but that was my personal "now it's worth it" benchmark).
4. Preferred a smaller and cheaper car than the Model S/X

Model 3 came out and boom, all boxes ticked! :)

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because I can afford it and want to be part of making a difference. I also have no love for big oil.

I’ll miss my VW, I’ve driven their cars for 26 years, but it’s time to move on.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As others have said -- a (nice) car is a want, not a need. I have never purchased a used car, so I have an affinity with earning maximum depreciation on each car I purchase :)

I spend a good amount of time in my car (combined 90 minutes of commuting round trip) and I want to enjoy the time. It's important to me!

jsmay311

Country
Country
  • The Model 3 is (I believe/arguably) the most environmentally-friendly car that can *practically* drive long distances -- on account of the Supercharger network. (Important for a 1-car household.)
  • I don't splurge on practically anything else. / I can afford it.
  • Everytime the engine in my Volt turns on, a little part of me dies inside. :tonguewink: (Half kidding.)