How are Tesla's shipped to the east coast?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I remember seeing a post last summer from an expectant Model S owner somewhere SE of Chicago who was saying they could track their car to a Chicago rail yard and it sat for a number of days before it was put onto a truck for the last leg. I think in their case, the car was accessible from their app, which I don't think is typical until delivery, but could be wrong.

Poobah

Country
Country
I remember seeing a post last summer from an expectant Model S owner somewhere SE of Chicago who was saying they could track their car to a Chicago rail yard and it sat for a number of days before it was put onto a truck for the last leg. I think in their case, the car was accessible from their app, which I don't think is typical until delivery, but could be wrong.
It would be cool to track the car via the app as soon as you get your VIN (app needs VIN) ... kind of like NORAD tracking Santa. ;)However, I doubt if Tesla would want you mucking around in the app locking/unlocking, turning on AC or heat, etc. If they did that with this forum crowd, every battery would be stone dead when the car got off the train/truck from us playing with the app. It sounds like the Model S owners got "lucky".

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It would be cool to track the car via the app as soon as you get your VIN (app needs VIN) ... kind of like NORAD tracking Santa. ;)However, I doubt if Tesla would want you mucking around in the app locking/unlocking, turning on AC or heat, etc. If they did that with this forum crowd, every battery would be stone dead when the car got off the train/truck from us playing with the app. It sounds like the Model S owners got "lucky".
I don’t think it shows up in your app early enough for that.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It sounds like the Model S owners got "lucky".
agree - and I can't remember what the exact deal was, but something like he finalized the purchase at Fremont, but had Tesla ship the car or something along those lines

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep I remember this story from here. Root cause was some of the cars had dead batteries and that held up the offloading process.

jvmoore1

Country
Country
And therein lies a huge problem of AL not having a Tesla store or servce center. I could pickup my 3 ~ 65-70 miles from home if I could do a Birmingham delivery. I need to write my Congress critter AGAIN......
agreed!! would love to have a store and service center in Alabama.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I cringe at seeing all the photos of Teslas on open car carriers. Think of all the road dust, salt, rocks, etc that pummels them before they even get to you. I calm myself by staying it is just for local shipping in California but who knows.

BMW and MINI certainly do this all right. For my last four cars, as soon as a VIN was assigned I could follow the car through the factory (now they even provide assembly photos), ground and port transportation status, then determine which boat they are on, track the boat across the Atlantic, and again through the BMW facility in NJ. From there they are shipped on fully enclosed car carrier trucks.

KGTES

Country
Country
I cringe at seeing all the photos of Teslas on open car carriers. Think of all the road dust, salt, rocks, etc that pummels them before they even get to you. I calm myself by staying it is just for local shipping in California but who knows.

BMW and MINI certainly do this all right. For my last four cars, as soon as a VIN was assigned I could follow the car through the factory (now they even provide assembly photos), ground and port transportation status, then determine which boat they are on, track the boat across the Atlantic, and again through the BMW facility in NJ. From there they are shipped on fully enclosed car carrier trucks.
Yep, that's exactly my concern. Here, I am considering doing XPEL, but if they ship it open carrier, damage is already done?
I guess it is too early to say how they will ship these, how did they/do they ship MS or MX'es?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This thread has morphed into cleaning, but back to the shipping by rail, if Tesla would tell you the rail car number your car is on it can be tracked, or used to be able to be tracked. This information is from 5 years ago when we ordered a Fusion. If you can get the rail car number from Tesla that your car is on there are or have been ways to track that rail car. You can truly drive yourself crazy. These instructions are 5 years old, they may be outdated or there may even be ways from a web page these days - who knows.

With a valid car number, depending on railway:
1.Call UP at 1-800-877-5123
2."Welcome to Automated Trace."
3.Press 1 for english
4.Say: "Freight"
5."How many pieces of equipment?" Say or enter 1
6."Whats the first ID?" Say the railcar number complete and clearly. Example: CN123456 all together, surprisingly faster is better.
7."Would you like a faxed copy of this trace faxed to you?" Press 1 for Yes or 2 for No. If yes, say or enter 10 digit fax number.

Here's how to track your ETTX railcar.
1. Call CSX at 1-800-235-2352
2. When prompted for location or weight, press "1" on your phone for location.
3. When prompted for the car initials, say ETTX then wait for the next prompt. OR key in 32-81-81-92 (for ETTX)(letter and position on your phone)
4. When prompted for the car number, say or key in your 6-digit ETTX car number
5. When prompted for next car say DONE.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Now that a lot more model 3's are getting shipped, has anybody definitively determined whether they are using trains or car carriers to get to the east coast? I've seen the reports of car carriers loading at the factory, but nothing about train loading in or near Freemont.

ap105

Country
Country
Now that a lot more model 3's are getting shipped, has anybody definitively determined whether they are using trains or car carriers to get to the east coast? I've seen the reports of car carriers loading at the factory, but nothing about train loading in or near Freemont.
I should be getting mine next Thursday. The DA at the KC store said - they rail them to Chicago, apparently Chicago is the main hub for Midwest even though the rail will go through KC. Then after unloading them and sorting they put them on car carriers.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Same with Audi, except they use a boat-to-rail facility in RI. If you're in Eastern MA, they skip the rail and put it on a truck.