HOV lane stickers and ideas to protect paint

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welp, we finally did it. HOV stickers are in place and they're... eh. But for all the extra time saved, I'll live with them. :rolleyes: Here's what we decided to do:

1. Purchased 3M PPF on Amazon. A buddy and I split a roll of 6" x 60". That was enough for the three stickers and still over a foot of extra material left over.

2. Cut the film into three sections, with plenty of space around each of the stickers.

3. Peel the stickers off and place them on the 3M film. Cut the film so that they match the sticker outline with just a bit of extra space around the border.*

4. Apply the film to the car per instructions and voila! Admire them. :confused:

*For the first sticker attempt I followed this method, but didn't like how much extra film there was around the sticker, so for the other two stickers I went with the method mentioned above. I ended up pulling off the first "rectangle" film 20 minutes later and cutting it down so it was like the other two. It was really risky as I wasn't sure if the film would stand up to being removed, cut, and re-applied but it seems to have gone on fine the second time around.

Last edited:

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the plus side, the color of the sticker this year worked out pretty well for your silver car, @Maevre.

Gatornail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t live in a State with HOV stickers, but I was in Home Depot the other day and they have a product in their paint department for people to try out a paint color on the wall without painting the sample on the wall. It’s a clear removable sticker about the size of a sheet of paper. When I saw it I thought of this thread. The cost was $10 for a pack of 3.

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just for reference, here's another way to place the stickers on the 3, much lower down on the bumper (image credit TMC)
That's how I mounted mine as well. No pics though. It was sort of a sad moment installing the front license plate and those stickers, but I got over it quickly the first time I blew past traffic on 680 in the HOV lane :D

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Canada as well has ‘green’ plates for EV’s. The normal blue lettering on white is replaced with green lettering on white. They start with GV** *** so no vanity plates. HOV with one occupant.
Man, that's perfect. CA has so many vanity plate styles, why not just add a green version of the standard CA plate? So much better.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's how I mounted mine as well. No pics though. It was sort of a sad moment installing the front license plate and those stickers, but I got over it quickly the first time I blew past traffic on 680 in the HOV lane :D
I'm still trying to put the front plate on the bumper. Haven't got up the courage yet. :D

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm still trying to put the front plate on the bumper. Haven't got up the courage yet. :D
Yeah, it was just like ripping off a band-aid...haha.

Check out the bottom of the plate bracket, it's got a raised line that you're supposed to align with the center of the grille in the fascia opening. That way you know it's centered. Also, only peel off a little bit of the red backing so you can adjust it if necessary before fully installing :)

Dhu1

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Just a reminder, those stickers are only valid until jan 1, 2019. So you’ll have to remove and put on new version of stickers then. I plan on applying for the stickers but not putting them on and wait for the new stickers to come out. In the meantime, I will run the risk of keeping them in the car and beg forgiveness if I get pulled over.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just a reminder, those stickers are only valid until jan 1, 2019. So you’ll have to remove and put on new version of stickers then. I plan on applying for the stickers but not putting them on and wait for the new stickers to come out. In the meantime, I will run the risk of keeping them in the car and beg forgiveness if I get pulled over.
Stickers come as a set and all stickers have a unique number printed on them that is tied to the vehicle registration so when you reapply in Jan 2019 you don't physically change the sticker, its just paperwork.

Dhu1

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
You are correct in that it is tied to the VIN. Unfortunately the latest news report that I saw was that in 2019 it will be a new set of stickers (new colors). The report I saw said that to distinguish new stickers, they wanted new colors (similar to what they did when the yellow stickers went away). If somebody knows differently, please share.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You are correct in that it is tied to the VIN. Unfortunately the latest news report that I saw was that in 2019 it will be a new set of stickers (new colors). The report I saw said that to distinguish new stickers, they wanted new colors (similar to what they did when the yellow stickers went away). If somebody knows differently, please share.
I’d love it if they could make the new stickers invisible.;)

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hopefully those [nice, hard-working people] at the DMV have an online application for the new ones and don't take a month to send them. I still cannot believe I had to fill out a paper application and send a check in 2018. Also, still waiting… they haven't even cashed the check yet. [moderator edit]

Last edited by a moderator: