HOV/EZPass transponder

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know the Model S had varying levels of success with the EZPass transponder being placed near the rearview mirror, thanks to the level of tint on the windshield there.

The solution for some was to place the transponder in the nose cone (pre-facelift), or to get the "twinkie" for the front license plate.

With the change-over to HW 2.5, do we know if the top-of-windshield-next-to-rearview-mirror mounting location a non-starter now? Should I look into getting the "twinkie"?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know the Model S had varying levels of success with the EZPass transponder being placed near the rearview mirror, thanks to the level of tint on the windshield there.

The solution for some was to place the transponder in the nose cone (pre-facelift), or to get the "twinkie" for the front license plate.

With the change-over to HW 2.5, do we know if the top-of-windshield-next-to-rearview-mirror mounting location a non-starter now? Should I look into getting the "twinkie"?
Our Florida SunPass works fine in my dad’s S. I hopeful for the same with Model 3 and I like it hidden from visibility tucked behind the rear view mirror.

Smokey S

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just talked to Sunpass class center because I continue to get “pay by plate” invoices from EPass for unpaid tolls. The customer rep said you must get a bumper mounded transporter for Tesla vehicles. The cost is $19 plus tax and shipping.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had similar issues with EZ-pass in IL. I still had issues where the pass wouldn’t be scanned. I wound up just moving the pass to the top of the plate and that seems to have fixed it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had similar issues with EZ-pass in IL.
Really?
I had an EZpass in a closed purse on the floor of the back seat and the damn scanners managed to find it.

And since they couldn't match it to an actual vehicle (my car already had an EZpass), they charged me the class 7 truck rate. :mad:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just talked to Sunpass class center because I continue to get “pay by plate” invoices from EPass for unpaid tolls. The customer rep said you must get a bumper mounded transporter for Tesla vehicles. The cost is $19 plus tax and shipping.
Did you mount it in the area described by the owner's manual?

1566238868749-png.28539

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got a Georgia Peach pass sticker next to my mirror. I've been through the Florida tolls a number of times with perfect reads.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm in FL too but technically I have a Sunpass and not an EZPass. They used to be different but I'm not sure which model you have. I have the suction cup mini version and have mini mounted as shown (similar to @garsh shows above) and have no issues anywhere in the state EZ or Sun pass). If I didn't already have this one, I would probably just get the $5 one that is credit card sized and sticks to your windshield in the same spot.

Attachments

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I placed my Sunpass on the overhead glass. The front overhead glass. But the very back right over the T for the Tesla label. Immediately in front of the overhead beam (I will try to take a picture later)

No one in the vehicle normally sees it. Works great

Also go into your Sunpass account and add your license tag/plate to your account. If for some reason the Sunpass won't register you won't see a bill. It will be handled as a Sunpass charge.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you mount it in the area described by the owner's manual?

View attachment 28539
I had mine mounted directly below the camera cluster. It worked for a long time and then stopped when I put it into a loaner S. Went to the EZ-Pass office and they gave me the license plate mount instead. At first it wouldn’t scan (assuming the plate was interfering in some way), so I moved it from the bottom to the top of the plate.

For the Model S I was told that the windshield blocked RFID signals. I suppose I could have gone back and got the windshield unit to use with my 3, but figured it’s not a big deal.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They are full of it. I have my E-Pass sticker (they're identical to Sunpass) mounted on my glass roof directly above the mirror. They never have any problem charging me for tolls.

Smokey S

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I placed my Sunpass on the overhead glass. The front overhead glass. But the very back right over the T for the Tesla label. Immediately in front of the overhead beam (I will try to take a picture later)

No one in the vehicle normally sees it. Works great

Also go into your Sunpass account and add your license tag/plate to your account. If for some reason the Sunpass won't register you won't see a bill. It will be handled as a Sunpass charge.
I seem to have the problem with EZ pass toll booths in the Orlando area not reading the transponder and getting letters in the mail to pay the tolls. This has been happening for the last 3 months

Smokey S

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm in FL too but technically I have a Sunpass and not an EZPass. They used to be different but I'm not sure which model you have. I have the suction cup mini version and have mini mounted as shown (similar to @garsh shows above) and have no issues anywhere in the state EZ or Sun pass). If I didn't already have this one, I would probably just get the $5 one that is credit card sized and sticks to your windshield in the same spot.
I have this type also and have had it placed in this location with problems with EZpass.

tesla m3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I put mine on the glass roof. Works fine.

No need to use the front window. That just adds clutter.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm, are you having the issue with the same station perhaps? If there are two lanes, could you try a different one even if it's the one staffed? In fact, if there is a lane that's staffed, go through it and wait there and tell the attendant you are checking your pass. If it doesn't register, move it outside your car and wave it around. Even if there is no lane with an attendant, go during a low time and do the same. Wave it around outside your car and see if it registers. Maybe it's just a transponder issue.

I go through the 408 and 417 booths all the time without issue with my Sunpass. I even have XPel Ultimate 30% on the front.