HOV detection

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm in the lower mainland of BC (Vancouver/Richmond/Surrey commute). I never see any indication of using the HOV lane by the Tesla even though "Use HOV lanes" is activated.

Does Tesla know about HOV lanes in Canada?

ravisorg

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Definitely works in Toronto. It moves over the the left most lane when on an hov road (hov lanes here being on the left) even when there’s no traffic to pass. Only reason I can see it would do that is because it knows there’s an hov lane there. My issue with it is it crosses the double lines (you’re only supposed to enter and exit hov at specific points and it doesn’t seem to know or care about those).

John Rea

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Definitely works in Toronto. It moves over the the left most lane when on an hov road (hov lanes here being on the left) even when there’s no traffic to pass. Only reason I can see it would do that is because it knows there’s an hov lane there. My issue with it is it crosses the double lines (you’re only supposed to enter and exit hov at specific points and it doesn’t seem to know or care about those).
It knows. It just doesn't care. :)

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
well lucky to be in Toronto, this morning out here on the left coast I had to fight the NoAP at two different spots coming up to the tunnel as it did *not* want to use the HOV on the right. Once it refused to use a very nice empty lane while I was in a full lane, later the car wanted to go straight when the HOV left the freeway at the 17A interchange (HOV joined up again after the interchange). I can understand the second, but the first was annoying.

both times i had to override AP with the wheel to get where I needed to go.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My knows about HOV lanes in Toronto. I have "prefer HOV" selected in my car and it makes a B-line for them anytime they're available. Be careful though, I've noticed the car wants to get out of them prematurely if it needs to move over to another lane for exits etc....

TrevP

Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Do you see faded white diamonds or any other indication on the display to indicate an HOV lane?
No. I travel down the 404 from where I live and the HOV lane starts around Markham. As long as I'm in the left lane once the HOV lanes comes up the car automatically puts on the blinker and moves over all by itself. It must be encoded into the maps.

Last edited:

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You are likely right. I know it took over a year for Waze to start reporting a new roundabout in my neighbourhood, after I reported it, and waze uses google maps like Tesla. The HOV lanes have been around for a while, i'll have to learn patience :)

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
No. I travel down the 404 from where I live and the HOV lane starts around Markham. As long as I'm in the left lane once the HOV lanes comes up the car automatically puts on the blinker and moves over all by itself. It must be encoded into the maps.
What sucks about the 404 is no one seems to be able to find it.

Sorry, had to be said...

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As long as I'm in the left lane once the HOV lanes comes up the car automatically puts on the blinker and moves over all by itself. It must be encoded into the maps.
when the NoAP changes lanes for me, I get a pop up saying why. "out of passing lane", "into faster lane", "to follow route" and so on. when your car moves over all by itself into the HOV lane does it mention HOV lane?

TrevP

Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There's no mention of it on my end, I just the get chime and it just moves over by itself

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I commute down 404 southbound towards the YYZ Airport every morning and Autopilot signals and moves into the HOV lane if I'm already in the left-most lane, but NOA always seems to want to leave the HOV lane past Finch and tries to take the regular lanes towards 401 West-bound instead of staying in the HOV lane.

I end up having to fight NOA by declining the turn-off or turn off NOA completely to stay on the HOV lane and take the dedicated HOV off-ramp/on-ramp to 401 West-Bound. Anyone else having this issue?

On a related note, when traveling 401 East-Bound, NOA doesn't seem to want to take the off-ramp to 404 North-Bound automatically?

TrevP

Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have the same issue if I'm heading south past the 401 or going east-west, it wants to prematurely get out of the HOV lane. Either cancel it or just turn off NoA for a while then turn it back on.