Hot plug!

I set up my HPWC with a cord to plug in to my 14-50 before Tesla released one. Not as efficient, but gives me more flexibility. QUESTION: Has anyone measured temps on the connector that plugs in to the 14-50 outlet? if so, please share your readings at what amperage and if it’s the factory wired HPWC or an adapted one like mine.

6/2-8/2 50 Amp @ 250v plug that LOOKS like the one that comes with the factory plug in version of the HPWC. Of course that no guarantee that it is functionally equivalent. A resistance check along with comparison to my mobile charger is the next step for me - along with any data from other users with the HPWC. :)

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
See this thread:

Charging cable and fuse warm to the touch

@redhat has one photo there showing the NEMA 14-50 at 89.1° F.
6/2-8/2 50 Amp @ 250v plug that LOOKS like the one that comes with the factory plug in version of the HPWC. Of course that no guarantee that it is functionally equivalent. A resistance check along with comparison to my mobile charger is the next step for me - along with any data from other users with the HPWC. :)
You'd barely notice 89F to the touch. Most of those IR temp guns are useless. They are so dependent on the reflectivity.
I wouldn't waste my time with an OHM meter on this stuff. There is huge difference when stuff is under load. You could look at voltage drop, that would give you better idea if there is a problem.

Is yours running "hot"?
Did you buy this used and your concerned it's all factory?

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Keeping in mind of course a 10-50 plug should be fused for 50A but only be loaded to 75%. If pulling the full 50A it will probably get uncomfortably warm.
Right, but it's 80%, unless there are special rules with HWPC that I don't know about. So it should not pull more than 40A.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Right, but it's 80%, unless there are special rules with HWPC that I don't know about. So it should not pull more than 40A.
That^. Had a brain fart on the exact value.

fwiw, I'm running a bodged together nema 6-20 extension cord (adequately spec'd. I see good voltage at both ends so not a lot of loss)...drawing 16A it gets probably 10C above ambient. Genuinely nothing to be concerned about for this application.

Keeping in mind of course a 10-50 plug should be fused for 50A but only be loaded to 75%. If pulling the full 50A it will probably get uncomfortably warm.
It’s a 14-50 and 80% or 40 amps is acceptable for continuous use. I’m running it at 32 amps. 50 amps is definitely asking for trouble!

While IR temp guns may not be optimal, the reflectivity difference between the aftermarket HPWC plug that runs hot (160 degrees F) vs the plug on the factory mobile adapter (90 degrees F) would not account for 70 degrees difference at the same voltage/amperage.

To clarify, my equipment is a new Tesla HPWC with an aftermarket plug to emulate the Tesla HPWC that can be plugged in to a 14-50 receptacle. The specs for the plug make it appear more than capable for the load but it doesn’t appear to be operating to spec. It could be as “simple” as a poor connection between the blade and the wire for one of the hot lines - particularly given that one leg is much hotter than the other.

Thank you all for the input.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s a 14-50 and 80% or 40 amps is acceptable for continuous use. I’m running it at 32 amps. 50 amps is definitely asking for trouble!

While IR temp guns may not be optimal, the reflectivity difference between the aftermarket HPWC plug that runs hot (160 degrees F) vs the plug on the factory mobile adapter (90 degrees F) would not account for 70 degrees difference at the same voltage/amperage.

To clarify, my equipment is a new Tesla HPWC with an aftermarket plug to emulate the Tesla HPWC that can be plugged in to a 14-50 receptacle. The specs for the plug make it appear more than capable for the load but it doesn’t appear to be operating to spec. It could be as “simple” as a poor connection between the blade and the wire for one of the hot lines - particularly given that one leg is much hotter than the other.

Yikes 160F does seem pretty high. I agree IR guns are ok for relative measurement of similar material. I don’t know how these plugs work. But you might know on a UMC gen 2 the “plug” has a resistor in it that tells the UMC how much current it can draw. I’m assuming this does not have that. The UMC gen 2 also has a temp sensor in the plug. I don’t think this has that either.

I’m saying that mostly because I don’t know if there could be anything special in the factory plug that the aftermarket does not have. Besides the basic plug.

You could complain and ask for a swap if it’s new? I’d be concerned with 160F (even from crappy IR gun ;) ).

Can you Hardwire the HPWC? Is the 14-50 needed for something else? Although probably not up to code you could parallel it. I’ve seen a few folks do that. It would be safer than your suspect plug.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

My breaker panel and plugs when running bitcoin miners (7KW) prior to getting the Tesla would be 'warm' to the touch - roughly body temperature in a room-temperature area.

Something is absolutely not right if your plug/receptacle is getting ~100f above ambient at 80% load. Thankfully both a 10-50 plug/wire combo and associated receptacle are quite inexpensive to just replace.