Hot outlet reducing charge speed

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are several thermal sensors in the mobile charger and plug adapter that can reduce or stop charging for safety. The manual lists several of them and their error lights. How hot is it in your garage? Are you sue the outlet itself is not also getting hot due to bad connection?

Jeremy Rosser

Country
Country
There are several thermal sensors in the mobile charger and plug adapter that can reduce or stop charging for safety. The manual lists several of them and their error lights. How hot is it in your garage? Are you sue the outlet itself is not also getting hot due to bad connection?
It is 90+ in the garage. The connection is good. The mobile connector did not feel too warm. It was charging for about 2 hours before I got the message.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I charge in my garage where it's over 100F. Never seen that error. I'd strongly recommend checking the outlet for a loose screw holding the hot wires in - that's the kind of thing that would overheat the outlet and cause the car to shutoff charging to keep from burning your house down.
Are you using a 14-50 outlet?

Jeremy Rosser

Country
Country
I charge in my garage where it's over 100F. Never seen that error. I'd strongly recommend checking the outlet for a loose screw holding the hot wires in - that's the kind of thing that would overheat the outlet and cause the car to shutoff charging to keep from burning your house down.
Are you using a 14-50 outlet?
Yes back in Nov I used a Tesla recommended installed to install a nema 14-50 for me.
The outlet is like 2 feet from my panel. So you think the heat is at the wall and not at that car?
I will take a look but it looks pretty solid to me. Maybe I will keep an eye on the temp of the outlet when I try to charge again. Use my sons thermal thermometer.

jsmay311

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So you think the heat is at the wall and not at [the] car?
That's what the text of the message indicates.

But I can certainly understand how the green circle around the charge port would cause confusion on this. When I first glanced at the image, I also assumed it was talking about heat at the charge port. Seems like bad graphics design to me.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
It has nothing to do with the air temperature in your garage. Teslas do a couple things:

1) The vehicle measures the voltage drop at different resistance levels. If you have bad wiring, there will be a significant voltage drop, which means "somewhere" in the wiring energy is turning into significant amounts of heat. Which is a Bad Thing(TM).

2) The mobile EVSE uses temperature sensors in the plug end to physically measure the socket temperature. Again, if it's getting hot, that's a Bad Thing(TM).

This is Tesla saving you from yourself rather than merrily going on its way charging at high powers when there's a bad connection and causing a fire as a result. Either follow its instructions and switch outlets, or call an electrician. Ideally both. And don't plug any high-power devices into that socket; most aren't as "smart" as a Tesla and will happily draw power at full tilt regardless of whether there's a bad connection.

Be thankful that you have a well-designed car and as a result aren't coming home to the smouldering wreckage of your house. :)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
But I can certainly understand how the green circle around the charge port would cause confusion on this. When I first glanced at the image, I also assumed it was talking about heat at the charge port. Seems like bad graphics design to me.
Sounds like an appropriate use of the "Bug Report" feature :)

Jeremy Rosser

Country
Country
It has nothing to do with the air temperature in your garage. Teslas do a couple things:

1) The vehicle measures the voltage drop at different resistance levels. If you have bad wiring, there will be a significant voltage drop, which means "somewhere" in the wiring energy is turning into significant amounts of heat. Which is a Bad Thing(TM).

2) The mobile EVSE uses temperature sensors in the plug end to physically measure the socket temperature. Again, if it's getting hot, that's a Bad Thing(TM).

This is Tesla saving you from yourself rather than merrily going on its way charging at high powers when there's a bad connection and causing a fire as a result. Either follow its instructions and switch outlets, or call an electrician. Ideally both. And don't plug any high-power devices into that socket; most aren't as "smart" as a Tesla and will happily draw power at full tilt regardless of whether there's a bad connection.

Be thankful that you have a well-designed car and as a result aren't coming home to the smouldering wreckage of your house. :)
I contacted the electrician that installed it back on November. They are coming to check it out.
Facts:
I had a model S using this same outlet from November 2017 - May 2018 with no issues
This is a new house built in 2015 so everything is wired to code.
The nema 14-50 is 2 feet from the panel in the garage

Jeremy Rosser

Country
Country
Ok new pictures. I always leave my model connector plugged in as it is mounted so it is not hanging.
I just went to take the standing temp and decided to unplug it. Let me know what you think. There is a dark circle around one of the holes.

Attachments

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hard to tell if the circle is a manufacturing issue (random discoloration), or a result of overheating.

It looks like there's melted plastic around the metal pieces inside the slot; if that's true, then it's likely that your electrician didn't tighten down the wire for that connector. If true, make sure he replaces the outlet because the melted plastic isn't going to be good for making a good connection or longevity.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The "hot handle" issue comes up at Superchargers during summer in areas with temps >90 and Supercharger stalls exposed to the sun. This causes a reduced Supercharging rate. So far, never saw a warning like OP.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else get this error on their model 3? I have gotten it twice so far, I live in northern FL so it is warm in my garage See screen shot.
Yes, I had the same notice. Called the electrician who installed the 14-50 outlet. He said," OOps I didn't tighten the screws tight enough on wires in the receptacle. That was 5 months ago and have't had any problem since.