Homelink not included

bernie

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Just found out watching Ryan’s you tube the home link is not included on our $60K+ Model Y. But for the hassle of paying $300 and arranging an appointment to install honelink - not a major problem but for those of you many miles away from a service center it’s annoying -I’m going to ask if I can get this paid for and installed when I pick up.

Reactions: 1 person

GDN

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just skimmed through the Y manual tonight and was curious if they had included Homelink or not - the manual only notes "if equipped" - so it wasn't clear if it was included or you had to add it. Guess it will continue to be just like the 3.

BallzOne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
It will be included on my model Y if they don’t want a lawsuit. I took screen shots of my pre order because I had a feeling they would try to sneak in some unwanted changes.

ABB0E9C0-0852-41ED-A6C6-D0662FFC1966.jpeg

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It will be included on my model Y if they don’t want a lawsuit. I took screen shots of my pre order because I had a feeling they would try to sneak in some unwanted changes.

View attachment 32765
Best of luck with your lawsuit. In the same way that the features you show don't supply the details of internet and streaming access(subscription required); they also don't show the details of automatic garage door opening(car is equipped to work with a homelink purchase).

R_Stephens

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have it on my early 2018 Model 3 and wish I could sell it. My garage doors don't support it so it is wasted on me. :/

slacker775

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There are garage doors that don’t work with Homelink? Might that be more of a ‘problem’ with the opener itself, perhaps being too old or something?

R_Stephens

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There are garage doors that don’t work with Homelink? Might that be more of a ‘problem’ with the opener itself, perhaps being too old or something?

Sorry, I meant openers. They are Liftmasters and both (2 total) have the program button. I've followed the Tesla instructions and fought with them for almost an hour before giving up. :p

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not specific to Tesla, but since the fix is on the garage opener side, it should work:

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
@BallzOne, I actually think you have an excellent case for arbitration. Here is a link to someone who went to arbitration over premium connectivity being removed from used cars that Tesla had sold. He not only won for himself, in a relatively short time span, but Tesla corrected it for all in the same situation. Seems that model Y owners who ordered their cars while homelink was still being included, should be able to get it at no additional cost. And while you are at it, throw in premium connectivity, because as @FRC pointed out, your list of features did not include any limitations for that.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/premium-connectivity-in-cpo-mx.177778/

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I have Craftsman garage door openers that didn’t support homelink, but many, many years ago installed a homelink interface similar to the video above. It has worked flawlessly.

GDN

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It might all come down to when you got your documentation - was it at deposit time, which the car is subject to change or at order time when you selected true options. The one thing you might want to make sure you do is opt out of arbitration within the first 3 days or whatever it is at delivery.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Moderator 📌
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
preorder is not your order agreement though
is fighting them over a $300 add-on worth it?
homelink has been an additional cost for some time on the 3, so I would have Expected it to be the same on the Y.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
preorder is not your order agreement though
is fighting them over a $300 add-on worth it?
homelink has been an additional cost for some time on the 3, so I would have Expected it to be the same on the Y.
My recollection is that ORDERS opened a year ago for the model Y. Although it was noted that production/delivery wouldn’t be until 2020, people configured all the specs of their car and put down a $2500 deposit, which was the same deposit amount required if ordering any other a Tesla at that time.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry, I meant openers. They are Liftmasters and both (2 total) have the program button. I've followed the Tesla instructions and fought with them for almost an hour before giving up. :p
The instructions don't specify how close you have to stand in front of the front bumper when pressing the OEM remote control button to program HomeLink. It wasn't working for me when I held the remote a couple of feet away. When I moved to within a few inches in front of the bumper, then programming finally worked.

MarkB

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The instructions don't specify how close you have to stand in front of the front bumper when pressing the OEM remote control button to program HomeLink. It wasn't working for me when I held the remote a couple of feet away. When I moved to within a few inches in front of the bumper, then programming finally worked.

I found it worked even better when I opened my Frunk, and stood almost over the opening.

chaunceyg1

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have it on my early 2018 Model 3 and wish I could sell it. My garage doors don't support it so it is wasted on me. :/

Also, if you haven't tried programming recently, the V10 upgrade on Christmas Eve enabled another frequency. My car wouldn't open my garage door until this upgrade. I would try again if you haven't tried since V10.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When I heard that HomeLink wasn't included in an early Performance Model Y—and the one we ordered is "just" AWD—I ordered it from the Tesla website on Saturday, along with some extra key cards.
It arrived Monday (surprisingly fast, but we live very close to the Lathrop facility where it originated).
The box is clearly marked "DO NOT OPEN."

box.JPG

GDN

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When I heard that HomeLink wasn't included in an early Performance Model Y—and the one we ordered is "just" AWD—I ordered it from the Tesla website on Saturday, along with some extra key cards.
It arrived Monday (surprisingly fast, but we live very close to the Lathrop facility where it originated).
The box is clearly marked "DO NOT OPEN."

View attachment 32861
Wow - that is a pretty harsh warning. Makes me want to ask what they are hiding in there?

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just means "Do Not Attempt to Install this Yourself. Also, Don't Mess with It and Blame Us Later if There's a Problem."

EVfusion

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
No early Australian deliveries of the Model 3 had Homelink installed although early orders screens (similar to your screen shot) showed both Homelink and Premium connectivity. Some owners took up the Homelink issue and had no problem in having it fitted later. As Homelink is no longer standard, in the interests of simplifying manufacture, no cars were factory fitted with Homelink.
Unsolicited, Tesla are currently (last couple of weeks) contacting owners of the early order cars and arranging service appointments to have it fitted.
The timeframe: Orders opened June 2019, the Homelink and ongoing Premium connectivity offer was removed mid-July 2019 and first deliveries started late August. Retrofitting has been ongoing for some time now.