Homelink No Longer Included in Premium Package

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Their reasons run deep and I'm sure cost is number one, but one of the things I love best is that my car knows when I'm home and it automatically opens my garage door for me. I point that out to people as much as anything else. This just doesn't make sense. I'm OK on the entry level trims, every auto maker does that, but on Premium it really needs to stay included - simple opinion of mine. Enough people already want to claim Tesla doesn't fit in the luxury category, Tesla isn't helping themselves.
While not a huge feature, this is what most impressed my wife about my Model3. It peaked her interest enough, that we are now shopping modelS for her. I wonder how many buyers Tesla might miss out on with these "cost saving" moves. Absolutely cheapens the brand.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, so it's not standard, yet I just went though the process of building a car online like I was going to order one and couldn't add this feature. So, no longer included, will cost more... but not offered at time of purchase. Not good.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most other auto makers offer a base model that doesn’t include extras most people want, things such as homelink, then a variety of packages for additional $ for the added features... So it is not that crazy of an idea. The crazy part is it can be purchased ala cart without having to pay for things you don’t want to get the one you do.
Correct, operative word being base. Not premium. Even a premium trim Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla includes homelink, not to mention premium luxury brands that Tesla likes being compared to.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Or just put the clicker on your visor.
Yes, that's what my solution is. Someone in another forum posted a great idea of using double stick tape to mount the clicker on the lower left back corner of the display. Out of site and easy to reach. May try that one.

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Easily argued that the premium package should include but as it’s quite standard on cars at much lower price points. I think the bad thing right now is that the configuration doesn’t seem to mention that it’s not included - only by not explicitly mentioning it. It would seem nice to at least be addable during the ordering process. I suppose perhaps as you go through the process with the owner/advisor you can cover that? I can imagine folks would like to have it added before pickup to avoid a return trip to the SC.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i cannot see why "premium" does not include "the everything" - are we on the threshold of a next level up?
Most cars, when they add Homelink or Sirius XM Radio, they have a "box" installed somewhere inside the passenger cabin that handles that. This both makes it easy to lock out if you didn't pay for it - you'd have to pay for it to be physically installed - and protects the companies that license the tech (some company called Gentex for Homelink, or SiriusXM holdings for Sirius XM Radio).

I don't know if Tesla uses a separate "box" somewhere for Homelink or if they licensed software to do the same job, but they almost certainly had to license it. As Tesla has become larger and more popular, it's possible Gentex asked for more money - maybe even a LOT more - enough that it would affect the price of the lower-end models if they included it. Tesla may have began separating it as a line item in case they get into a licensing dispute and have to stop including it altogether.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is straight up dumb.

Just raise the price of the car $100 or $200 and put it in the factory. Don't make it a Service Center installed feature. Those guys are overwhelmed enough as it is.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know if Tesla uses a separate "box" somewhere for Homelink or if they licensed software to do the same job, but they almost certainly had to license it.
I thought a read an article somewhere that said the Homelink module (when ordered for an SR) included a piece of hardware to be installed.
As Tesla has become larger and more popular, it's possible Gentex asked for more money - maybe even a LOT more...
I was thinking that Gentex was always asking Tesla for more money than the other automakers, because Tesla doesn't have nearly as much volume. Tesla was happy to pay, because it's not a big deal on a bunch of $60k-$100k cars. But now that they're trying to be profitable at lower price points, they're revisiting that decision.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Or just put the clicker on your visor.
That's what I did when I bought my Leaf. In order to get HomeLink, I would have had to buy a whole $2000 package that included it. Wasn't worth it.

I'd say $300 isn't worth it either, but the auto-opening and -closing via GPS feature makes built-in HomeLink much more valuable in a Tesla than in other cars.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There appears to be a competitor to HomeLink, called Car2U, made by a company called Lear.

https://veterangaragedoor.com/diy/how-to-program-the-car2u-system/

I can't seem to find much information on it though. The main website appears to have been taken down. I wonder if they've given up on that product.
http://www.learcar2u.com/
I had used Car2U on a prior car... in my case, it was a small module connected to the high beam wiring. when wanting to open the door, flick the high beams and it triggered the opener. worked great, but probably would depend on how one's driveway/house is situated compared to others if it is practical to always be flashing your brights coming up the street.

(should add, I installed this because the convertible I was driving, did not have sun visors you could clip a opener to, nor any great place to stash an opener that was out of view if you chose to park with the top down - some car designers make boneheaded choices).

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The future might be all software based with the newer garage door openers that are wifi connected. Tesla could easily add the SW to connect to and login to your Chamberlain MyQ (insert your brand here) account and they can send the command over the internet to open and close your door just like from your smartphone app.

This method has no per car outlay and likely very very simple programming to hit an API of the garage door company using your credentials.

Could make even more sense once they send up another few groups of satellites and they move us to their own broadband network away from ATT.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could make even more sense once they send up another set few groups of satellites and they move us to their own broadband network away from ATT.
not to get off topic, but Elon Musk did respond to this recently, saying it was not planned or the intent of their internet service - saying the receiver currently is too large, and would not be practical on a car, maybe the semi, and the service is only intended for un/under served areas of the world (so apparently I have to stick with comcast :( )

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought a read an article somewhere that said the Homelink module (when ordered for an SR) included a piece of hardware to be installed.
That would explain the $300 price tag - part of it would be labor to install. That would actually be a pretty good deal considering Tesla's usual labor rate. If it's a software unlock, it's way too steep. All of their software unlocks are too steep.

I was thinking that Gentex was always asking Tesla for more money than the other automakers, because Tesla doesn't have nearly as much volume. Tesla was happy to pay, because it's not a big deal on a bunch of $60k-$100k cars. But now that they're trying to be profitable at lower price points, they're revisiting that decision.
I'm thinking now that this might a recurring fee, not a flat one, so Tesla is trying to reduce the number of cars equipped with Gentex devices in the future so they don't have to keep paying. Possibly they might do like with the LTE service, and eventually get the customers to pay for their own Homelink access as well. I thought of that because for $100 per car flat fee it is a little petty to cut that out, unless it represents a much larger cost down the road.

And someone has to say it: Homelink sucks. In fact, Google "Homelink sucks", and you'll get pages and pages of complaints about it on all kinds of vehicles. It's not just Tesla owners having trouble with it. There's always an outside possibility that Tesla wants to wean us all off of it so they can build their own solution...if they can get Gentex (the holder of all the Homelink patents) to allow it.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
unless you value the software
I do value the software, and it takes a lot of thought not to buy it. For instance, I didn't buy Autopilot - thanks to the 14-day trial, I learned that my usual driving routes don't justify paying that much for it (I used it maybe 30 minutes total, and just to play with it). Maybe if my driving routes change someday, or I upgrade the car before that happens, and it comes with AP. Right now I drive on an artery road with lots of traffic lights to work and back, and use highways maybe once or twice a week, only for about 10-15 min.

If the price cut in half, though? I'd definitely think harder about it, because then it gets into the realm of I can play with it once a month for 10 minutes, and still feel like I got the value out of it.

Homelink, on the other hand, if I didn't have it enabled by default I'd probably just use the button that came with the garage door opener. It's really not that obtrusive - in fact, I still have it in the center console in case Homelink fails (which it does, fairly often).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, that's what my solution is. Someone in another forum posted a great idea of using double stick tape to mount the clicker on the lower left back corner of the display. Out of site and easy to reach. May try that one.
I went ahead and attached my garage opener to the back, lower left corner of my display as was suggested to me. It's out of site and me or my wife can easily reach under the display and tap the button. Works like a charm and cost me nothing. You could use double stick tape but I had some spare 3M velcro-like tapes normally used for my EZ Pass device. That allows me to easily pop the opener off when I'll need to change the battery.

coops99

Country
Country
Surprised that it is not on any UK model 3 cars

Only 1st US Spec LHD cars in Europe got it according to dealer

Anyone else asked if it is a payable option as the hardware / software clearly exists?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk