Homelink No Longer Included in Premium Package

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Incredibly, Tesla no longer includes Homelink in the Model 3 even if you get the premium package. I ordered a TM# LR AWD on June 9th and picked it up yesterday. No Homelink button. After chatting with Tesla online I was informed that after May 30th, Homelink was no longer included in the premium package. So it's another $300 to buy the Homelink hardware and have your Svc Ctr install it. Even the Ford C-Max I traded in had that capability as part of a premium package. It seems more and more options and amenities are being deleted. Mr. Musk is starting to look more and more like Mr. Frank Shirley of Christmas Vacation fame. Really? A premium vehicle like the Tesla Model 3 LR AWD doesn't come with a garage door opener capability? Sad statement.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Incredibly, Tesla no longer includes Homelink in the Model 3 even if you get the premium package. I ordered a TM# LR AWD on June 9th and picked it up yesterday. No Homelink button. After chatting with Tesla online I was informed that after May 30th, Homelink was no longer included in the premium package. So it's another $300 to buy the Homelink hardware and have your Svc Ctr install it. Even the Ford C-Max I traded in had that capability as part of a premium package. It seems more and more options and amenities are being deleted. Mr. Musk is starting to look more and more like Mr. Frank Shirley of Christmas Vacation fame. Really? A premium vehicle like the Tesla Model 3 LR AWD doesn't come with a garage door opener capability? Sad statement.
WOW! Really finding it difficult to be a Fanboy on this one!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, sounds like a cost-cutting measure.
The cost is not low for Tesla.

HomeLink functionality is patented, and that patent is owned by Gentex.
The hardware to implement it probably costs Gentex $1.
But Tesla probably pays $100 to Gentex to install a module that supports 3 garage doors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomeLink_Wireless_Control_System
It's annoying to be nickle-and-dimed, but put it in perspective: We're complaining about spending another $300 on a $40,000 vehicle. If you need the functionality, just buy it. If you don't, then that's an additional bit of profit for Tesla to help keep the company alive.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, sounds like a cost-cutting measure.

It's annoying to be nickle-and-dimed, but put it in perspective: We're complaining about spending another $300 on a $40,000 vehicle. If you need the functionality, just buy it. If you don't, then that's an additional bit of profit for Tesla to help keep the company alive.
Or just put the clicker on your visor.

FogNoggin

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As a Tesla stockholder, little changes towards the cheap like this really shake my confidence. I'd pay $300, but aftermarket installation labor probably accounts for HALF of that cost. Just include the hardware on all Teslas and software disable it.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m not saying it’ll be a major debate point, but we live in a world of marketing and when word of mouth spreads that a $50k vehicle doesn’t come with homelink. Well it just doesn’t sit well with me, but that’s my opinion.

The original buyer may not opt for or use it, but what happens when the vehicle is sold on the used market. It’s just something that’s expected to be there with the prices these cars go for. That’ll leave also leave a negative impression on the new buyer and everyone they talk to.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m not saying it’ll be a major debate point, but we live in a world of marketing and when word of mouth spreads that a $50k vehicle doesn’t come with homelink. Well it just doesn’t sit well with me, but that’s my opinion.

The original buyer may not opt for or use it, but what happens when the vehicle is sold on the used market. It’s just something that’s expected to be there with the prices these cars go for. That’ll leave also leave a negative impression on the new buyer and everyone they talk to.
Most other auto makers offer a base model that doesn’t include extras most people want, things such as homelink, then a variety of packages for additional $ for the added features... So it is not that crazy of an idea. The crazy part is it can be purchased ala cart without having to pay for things you don’t want to get the one you do.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's strange that Homelink is separate like that, it makes me wonder if it's because of a licensing dispute with whatever authority licenses Homelink.

TomT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, to many, perception is reality...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's strange that Homelink is separate like that, it makes me wonder if it's because of a licensing dispute
It is most definitely due to licensing. See my quoted post above.
But it's not a *dispute* issue. It's a *cost* issue. Automakers have to pay Gentex a good bit of money to use Homelink.

It would be great if Tesla could simply create their own replacement for Homelink.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
and you know they would give it a way better name
This seems like the perfect time to not work and utilize the thing inside my skull! Allow me to indulge in a Tesla branded homelink equivalent brainstorming session!

- Open Sesame
- Autolink
- Teslink
- Open the hell up you stupid garage, why isn't homelink working and now I have to press the button again and again to make this thing work while my neighbors stare at me DAMMIT!

Edit to add: HomePilot! Goes hand in hand with autopilot. Actually, screw it... don't need a fancy new name... just include it as part of Autopilot. Can't have self driving cars just stop at your garage until a button is pushed!

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder how hard it would be to create my own "Homelink" Tesla module. Have places to install three clickers within it, with actuators to press the appropriate buttons when desired. :D

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Their reasons run deep and I'm sure cost is number one, but one of the things I love best is that my car knows when I'm home and it automatically opens my garage door for me. I point that out to people as much as anything else. This just doesn't make sense. I'm OK on the entry level trims, every auto maker does that, but on Premium it really needs to stay included - simple opinion of mine. Enough people already want to claim Tesla doesn't fit in the luxury category, Tesla isn't helping themselves.