• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Is your charging situation ready for Model 3 yet?

• Yes

Votes: 509 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 367 38.1%
  • Haven't thought about it

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Don't know where 2 start

Votes: 78 8.1%

• Total voters

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I have a Tesla wall connector connected to a 60 amp breaker and the wall connector itself is set to 48 amps. I've been using this without any issues since taking delivery of my M3 in Oct '18. I might not have ever noticed so I thought I'd ask here... I have always used "scheduled charging" so that I could start charging about an hour or two before I would leave to go to work. This is great for the winter. I usually get out of my car when I get home and plug it in and go on inside. I haven't looked at the charge display in quite some time. Needless to say the other day I went to look at my energy meter (love the increased temps and efficiency!), but instead got the charge display.

It was showing 5 amps and the "scheduled charging" was correct?

I changed the 5 to 48 and remembered to check it again in a few days. I checked yesterday and it was again back at 5?

Is this a problem? What's going on? I've never noticed anything not charging. It's always ready to go when I leave...
I just started a charge session (last top up to 90% for end month stats) and my meter that monitors my EVSE circuit is showing 11.4 kW being pushed to the car, even though that 5 amp setting was showing (but not my intention).

Also, I thought when re-charging, the UI would go live and show the car battery filling up, etc.

My screen is dark (on 12.1.1) and even touching a door handle (car is locked), the screen stays dark (other than asking for a key card to unlock).

I'm not sure if this is always been the way if the car is locked, or new with 12.1.1

JoeP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The 14-50 connector has 4 pins, one of which is ground. This one should be electrically connected to the box. You pulled a ground wire all the way from your meter box right (ie. you pulled 4 conductors, not 3?)

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Topping up for a road trip that starts as soon as I can get to 100% and no more push to the car.......

Been at 99% for the past 35 minutes (currently 1315 GMT):

capture-png.25557

Country
Country
Can't seem to find the answer to this in the threads so here goes...

After a complete (90%) charge, a few hours will pass and the car will begin charging again. It appears to be topping off. Is this normal? It happens about 10-15 times over night.

Running 2019.12.1.2 but it has been happening for several builds. I also use the app "Stats".

Phantom drain? Is something running? Thoughts?

Attachments

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

After a complete (90%) charge, a few hours will pass and the car will begin charging again. It appears to be topping off. Is this normal? It happens about 10-15 times over night.

Running 2019.12.1.2 but it has been happening for several builds. I also use the app "Stats".

Stats wakes the car up every hour, and if the car has fallen a percent or two it will start charging again.

I've also seen this problem more prevalent with various firmware builds, sometimes the day after an update is installed. Maybe combination of battery balancing along with 3rd party app constantly waking it. You could try rebooting your car's computer and/or disabling the app to see if it stops

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I saw something very similar last weekend for the first time. My main difference, I was charging outside (same charger- UMC on 240) but I know Sentry was on. Every hour or so the car woke up and added charge for about 2 minutes. it was odd in that I didn't get push notifications, but Teslafi showed each one of them.

You might try it without Sentry or COP or things like that which will cause some battery drain over an hour or two. The drain may be minimal, but enough it wants to top off again.

Tesla Newbie

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
. . . it was odd in that I didn't get push notifications, but Teslafi showed each one of them. . . .
I’d like to think this was intentional and the software has been tweaked to forget the notifications of these top-off charges. Sometimes I charge overnight and there’s an extra one or two 1% top-offs by morning. I don’t find the additional 1-2 minute cycle notifications particularly meaningful when I wake up and check my phone.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’d like to think this was intentional and the software has been tweaked to forget the notifications of these top-off charges. Sometimes I charge overnight and there’s an extra one or two 1% top-offs by morning. I don’t find the additional 1-2 minute cycle notifications particularly meaningful when I wake up and check my phone.
I agree completely, but as reported up in post 1522 @Tony Opalenik received the notifications for a very similar situation.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in a condominium and need an electrical outlet installed in the condo garage for my Model 3. The electrician who gave me a quote has done similar work on other condo units in my building.

He has to add a breaker to my panel but doesn't feel safe adding anything more than 30 amps. The alternative would be to install another panel, which would raise the price substantially.

He would then have to run wiring through the condo building and out to my designated parking spot in the adjoining garage. I would like to charge there with the NEMA 14-50, but don't know if that is both safe and sufficient to charge the Model 3.

Does anyone have thoughts/advice?

Thank you!

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in a condominium and need an electrical outlet installed in the condo garage for my Model 3. The electrician who gave me a quote has done similar work on other condo units in my building.

He has to add a breaker to my panel but doesn't feel safe adding anything more than 30 amps. The alternative would be to install another panel, which would raise the price substantially.

He would then have to run wiring through the condo building and out to my designated parking spot in the adjoining garage. I would like to charge there with the NEMA 14-50, but don't know if that is both safe and sufficient to charge the Model 3.

Thank you!
We don't know what version of the Model 3 you have, so we can't know what your top charge rate is. A 30-amp breaker that charges at 24 amps continuous will probably be plenty for your day to day needs unless you drive all day and sleep 5 hours or less per night. You'll probably need to buy the correct adapter from Tesla but I would wait until I had the specs from the electrician to make sure you buy the right one.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For a 30A breaker install a 30A socket and get the associated 30A adapter from Tesla.
Putting a 30A breaker on a NEMA 14-50 just means that the breaker is going to trip all the time.

Is it safe? With a correctly sized socket, sure.

Is it sufficient, we don't know that because you didn't say how much your commuting is. Take a look at the adapters page and see if the 30A adapters will provide enough charging for you.

For my and my wife's car, 120V 15A is generally enough and with that, we don't even charge daily.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Thank you!
a 30A breaker is sufficient for most users day to day.
I'm running on a 20A breaker (16A charge) via 6-20 adapter.
At parents I'm running on a 30A breaker to a 14-50 recepticle and the car is limited to 24A.
At inlaws we're running on a 40A breaker with a 6-50 recepticle with the car limited to 32 by the UMC.

essentially, so long as you set the car to 80% of the weakest link correctly you'll be fine. (breaker, cable rating, recepticle rating, etc). Is far superior to put in a 60A circuit to future-proof putting in a wall connector that can feed 48A into a car...but if your panel doesn't have room your panel doesn't have room.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Primarily the circuit breaker protects the wiring from the panel to the outlet. If the wiring is rated at or above the circuit breaker rating, it's technically safe, because the breaker will trip any time someone draws more than 30 amps.

Unfortunately, on a 14-50 outlet, the Mobile Connector will try and draw 32 amps, which will trip the breaker every time.

So you're either going to have to manually set the charge rate at no more than 24 amps, or get a 14-30 outlet - common modern dryer outlet - installed instead. Tesla does have a 14-30 adapter for sale for $35 (https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-nema-adapters.html).

A warning specific to your circumstance: Because you're in a condo, it might be illegal for the electrician (as in they could lose their license) to install a 14-50 on an underrated circuit, because of the possibility of other residents accessing it. It's always a code violation, but it's not usually legally enforced in a private residence. Even if your condo has a private enclosed garage, it still might put you in violation of the covenant you signed when you moved in, and the condo assoc might require you to bring it to code at your own expense or face fines.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We don't know what version of the Model 3 you have, so we can't know what your top charge rate is. A 30-amp breaker that charges at 24 amps continuous will probably be plenty for your day to day needs unless you drive all day and sleep 5 hours or less per night. You'll probably need to buy the correct adapter from Tesla but I would wait until I had the specs from the electrician to make sure you buy the right one.
Thank you. I'm getting the 325 mile range rear wheel drive Model 3. As long as I get around 20 miles/night, I will be ok, and it looks like I will be from all the responses.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
a 30A breaker is sufficient for most users day to day.
I'm running on a 20A breaker (16A charge) via 6-20 adapter.
At parents I'm running on a 30A breaker to a 14-50 recepticle and the car is limited to 24A.
At inlaws we're running on a 40A breaker with a 6-50 recepticle with the car limited to 32 by the UMC.

essentially, so long as you set the car to 80% of the weakest link correctly you'll be fine. (breaker, cable rating, recepticle rating, etc). Is far superior to put in a 60A circuit to future-proof putting in a wall connector that can feed 48A into a car...but if your panel doesn't have room your panel doesn't have room.
Thank you, it's good to hear others are able to do it. Yes, unfortunately, I don't have room, or I'd throw a 60 amp breaker in. I think the 30A breaker/24 amps at 240 will be enough. All I really need is approx 20 miles/night.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For a 30A breaker install a 30A socket and get the associated 30A adapter from Tesla.
Putting a 30A breaker on a NEMA 14-50 just means that the breaker is going to trip all the time.

Is it safe? With a correctly sized socket, sure.

Is it sufficient, we don't know that because you didn't say how much your commuting is. Take a look at the adapters page and see if the 30A adapters will provide enough charging for you.

For my and my wife's car, 120V 15A is generally enough and with that, we don't even charge daily.
Thank you, this is really helpful!