Is your charging situation ready for Model 3 yet?

• Yes

Votes: 506 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 366 38.2%
  • Haven't thought about it

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Don't know where 2 start

Votes: 79 8.2%

• Total voters

Gilberto Pe-Curto

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I live in an apartment, 1st floor.
I'm not sure how will I charge my car, but by the time the car reaches Europe, I hope the charging network will be much more spread out and won't be a problem for me.
I also thought about using a cable long enough to charge the car from my living room window to the street
;-)
I know it sounds strange, but it will be about 5-10 meters away...

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Gilberto, as you say, we Europeans have a couple of years to figure this out and in any case, yes, I am also convinced that the charging options in various places will be much higher by then across our continent!
Have a pleasant day!

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Actually, no it really isn't just a pay as you go system. The first 400 kWh per year are free. For many, if not most, that is all they will require in a year. I think this represents the best compromise between the "free for life" supercharging and the true pay for every kWh at the supercharger views.

Dan
400kWh is like 10 "tank" fill ups. A drive to FL and back is 24. A drive from MA to NJ and back is 2-3. I'd easily blow through 400 kWh per year.

Not complaining about the "free" included kWh, but the part that I'm wondering about is the pricing on the additional kWh. Less than the cost of gas isn't much guidance. They could charge $50/40kWh and claim it's on par with an equivalent sedan and yet kill some of the reason for going electric. I'm hoping they offer very competitive on the pricing for those extra kWh's.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying (but not abusing) my unlimited plan.

@gravityrydr

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With the United States likely slide into climate change denial madness (at least on the upper management side) I'm considering whether I need to at least get a home charger installed before the tax laws change. Anyone familiar with the US federal rebate on home chargers? I'm hoping for the best expecting the worst.
Do I have to own a BEV to get the credit?

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With the United States likely slide into climate change denial madness (at least on the upper management side) I'm considering whether I need to at least get a home charger installed before the tax laws change. Anyone familiar with the US federal rebate on home chargers? I'm hoping for the best expecting the worst.
Do I have to own a BEV to get the credit?
From what I've read, you do not need to own an electric vehicle. The charging installation just needs to be operational.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I don't really want to get political, but I wanted to give you some hope. Two articles:
Scott Adams: Climate Change and Trump - back in May, the Dilbert creator explains Trump's strategy.
New York Times: Trump, in Interview, Moderates Views but Defies Conventions - and it's starting to look like Scott Adams has it nailed.
A very intriguing perspective... which is giving the President-elect a lot of credit... yet if Scott Adams turns out to be right, why not? I am all for positive... :) Just would have preferred he would then not have appointed Myron Ebell to the EPA transition role... but well see right?
So positive, yes, yet still cautiously attentive... :)

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From what I've read, you do not need to own an electric vehicle. The charging installation just needs to be operational.
Definitely don't need an EV. I took the credit last year and you basically only needed to document your expenses (in my case, the receipt(s) for the EVSE hardware). You could include installation expenses as well, but that didn't apply in my case since my EVSE was portable and did not need to be installed. There is no requirement that you had to prove that it was installed and operational though.

Now I will point this fact out, with the caveat that I am certainly not a tax professional and don't even know for certain what the issue here is or even if it still applies...but...

Back in 2011 when I got my LEAF (and took the $7500 US EV tax credit), there was a lot of talk about people trying to take the EV tax credit AND the EVSE tax credit, with the result being that you couldn't take both in the same year. I never ran into this situation because back then my EVSE was provided for free in a pilot program. But apparently others did have this difficulty. The solution for many was to postpone getting their EVSE until the following year. Now again, I don't know exactly what the issue was (although I vaguely recollect it had something to do with Alternative Minimum Tax--you can search back on the mynissanleaf forum where it was endlessly discussed!), or even if it still applies, but you can easily avoid any possible issues by ensuring you buy your charging station in a different year than your EV.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@NOGA$4ME - likely the issue you mentioned was you need to have enough tax liability to claim the credit(s). So if one didn't have enough tax liability, they could potentially take part of the $7500 credit, but then could not get the infrastructure credit. Setting up the EVSE in a different tax year than the EV purchase could get those without a ton of liability to get the max amount they qualify for.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@NOGA$4ME - likely the issue you mentioned was you need to have enough tax liability to claim the credit(s).
Well it's not quite that simple. People that had the issue had plenty of tax liability. I think it has something to do with the fact that by taking the EV tax credit of $7500, it pushed you into the Alternate Minimum Tax (AMT) category, and that limited the amount you could take for the EVSE credit. So this usually impacted people with large incomes & large tax liabilities.

I am, now, ready for two EVs in my garage. I just had my home upgraded to 300A service. The Tesla charger is on a 100A circuit. I had a NEMA 14-50 plug placed beside it (on it's own 50A circuit). There is only about a month left on the infrastructure credits. I think I will try to do the same to my parents' house, within that time period. All aboard the hype train! :)

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very nice! I'm still trying to get my friend who's an electrician to come out and look at my situation. I have a detached garage which has a sub-panel with a 15AMp circuit. We need to pull 8-gauge from the house to the garage as there is conduit but it's incidentals I need to have looked at (new panel?)

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Very nice! I'm still trying to get my friend who's an electrician to come out and look at my situation. I have a detached garage which has a sub-panel with a 15AMp circuit. We need to pull 8-gauge from the house to the garage as there is conduit but it's incidentals I need to have looked at (new panel?)
Good news is you've got about 6-7 months to go before your Model ≡ arrives... with everything you do, you deserve to be in front of the line!! :)