Home Charging with an Apartment (Germany)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Hi everybody,

as many who live in Germany know, many people live in apartment buildings here.

Some buildings have their own garages with dedicated parking spots for tenants and some have dedicated parking spots outside near the building. Some do not have either, so you have to park on the street somewhere.

Could anybody share their experience with installing home charging infrastructure, such as the Tesla Wall Connecter, in such an environment (e.g. shared garage) here in Germany?

What are the options? Is it even possible? What are the costs?

If you were not able to install home charging and still drive an EV, what alternative do you use and is it sustainable in the long term?

I’m specifically looking for some advice in Germany. But if you live somewhere else and would like to share your experience, feel free to do so:)

Thanks!

Marcumar

Country
Country
It's nearly impossible, even if you pay for all of the installation costs. Either your landlord or all the tenants of your condo building have to approve it. There was even a court-ruling, saying that home charging isn't part of the minimum standard for apartment buildings :(

Saxony/Bavaria/Hessia tried to change the law to make home charging ability compulsory, but it didn't survive the legislative period. Apparently lawmakers are still working on it, but it'll take some years. I think we will see widespread street light charging sooner.

Country
Country
So it turns out you can't own an EV in Germany, unless you have a single family detached home? That can't be right, can it?

There must be some kind of option for people who live in apartments. Considering that most people in Germany rent an apartment, Tesla would be missing out on a big chunk of the market, if they didn't have a solution for these people.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So it turns out you can't own an EV in Germany, unless you have a single family detached home? That can't be right, can it?

There must be some kind of option for people who live in apartments. Considering that most people in Germany rent an apartment, Tesla would be missing out on a big chunk of the market, if they didn't have a solution for these people.
There's only so much Tesla can do. It's still early days for EV adoption around the world.

Tesla's planned solution for apartment-dwellers are the urban superchargers. Unfortunately, Tesla's Supercharger Map doesn't distinguish the urban superchargers from the normal ones, so it's not entirely clear where they plan to install them.

Country
Country
Yes, I‘ve seen the urban superchargers in the US, but haven‘t seen any in the EU yet.

We have a couple superchargers in the Frankfurt area, but my understanding was always that the supercharger network is only for long distance travel and not daily charging.

So what are the options for apartment-dwellers here in Germany at the moment?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So what are the options for apartment-dwellers here in Germany at the moment?
There are several options, but they're not especially convenient.
  • Use the current supercharging network. It's unclear if Tesla will frown upon this use though. Yes, it's meant for long-distance travel, but there are people who use them for daily charging too.
  • Charge at work. If you don't have charging at work, convince them to install charging.
  • Charge in your apartment garage. If they don't have charging, convince them to install it.
  • Use another charging network's fast DC chargers.
  • Use a regular L2/destination charger wherever you can find them. But this could take many, many hours, depending on how low your car's state of charge is at the time.
Unless you're willing to do a lot of work yourself to convince home/work to install charging stations, or put up with the inconvience of finding and waiting at slower chargers around town, then the most practical answer I can give you is "wait a few years". :(

Country
Country
Wow, none of those options sound that great.

We actually have chargers at work, but not in the employee parking lot - so in my case, maybe that option would somehow work. But again, it doesn‘t solve any home charging needs, unless I move into my office.

There are chargers around town, mostly 22kW, but I‘d need to drive to one and hang out there while my car charges or just leave my car there and pick it up later - both options kind of inconvenient.

I’m really surprised there is no real solution for this set of customers, especially, as I mentioned, most people in Germany live in rented apartments (~58%).

So I guess this means over half the German population can’t buy an EV? Well, so much for the EV revolution...

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well, so much for the EV revolution...
You keep ignoring the fact that it is still early days for EV adoption. A hundred years ago, people scoffed at the notion of buying petrol cars because it was so inconvenient finding fuel for them. You could buy oats and hay anywhere, or just let your horse graze wherever you happen to be.

If you can't be bothered to help solve any of these issues for yourself, then yes, you should not be looking into EV ownership today. That's not a judgement - not everyone wants the hassle of being an early-adopter. Wait for somebody else to solve these issues. Tesla will eventually install urban superchargers in europe. Apartment landlords will eventually install charging stations in their garages and parking lots. The EV revolution is happening, but it won't happen overnight.

Country
Country
I think when S and X came out, these kinds of issues were acceptable. But Tesla is pushing for mass adoption with the Model 3, wanting to appeal to the average consumer who expects an EV to be as or even more convenient than their ICE car. I think we should be passed the early adoption phase with the 3 as a mass market vehicle.

But it seems to me that these issues are less prevalant in North America and more of a European issue, or maybe even German issue (e.g. Norway probably doesn’t have these problems).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think we should be passed the early adoption phase with the 3 as a mass market vehicle.
Well then, you should go to your apartment management and ask them why they aren't installing charging stations to prepare for the mass-market EVs.

Adoption of a new technology is never a smooth transition. Change occurs with leaps and setbacks. Infrastructure isn't put in place beforehand - it grows with the adoption of the new technology.

Marcumar

Country
Country
The best options I see are:

Charging at work
The government passed a law which allows you to charge at work without having to pay taxes for that. Installing chargers could increase job desirability. And companies like to show environmental sustainability.

https://www.handelsblatt.com/finanz...ml?ticket=ST-5609228-NbomxOGAF34VVZGPxtU1-ap2

Charging while shopping
A lot of retailers install chargers at their locations to attract customers. Kaufland recently installed 50kW chargers. Aldi Süd is planning a 50kW charging network next to the major German autobahn pathways. Most of them are free of cost.

https://unternehmen.kaufland.de/pre...lungen-detail.y=2017.m=12.n=e-mobilitaet.html.

https://www.zeit.de/mobilitaet/2015-06/elektroauto-aldi-sued-kostenloser-strom

On-street charging
I still hope many cities will convert their streetlamps to low kW charging stations. Would put minimum stress on the network and is the most convenient solution.

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/on-street-charging.5268/

Konstantinos Kostis

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There are chargers around town, mostly 22kW, but I‘d need to drive to one and hang out there while my car charges or just leave my car there and pick it up later - both options kind of inconvenient.
There are some chargers next to supermarkets (e. g. Kaufland, Aldi, Lidl) in Frankfurt. How much range do you need every day? You may not have to charge that often.
We still don't know if the European Model 3 will support CCS. If they will there will be many more fast chargers available than just superchargers.

Even though in a multi-party appartment complex you need the approval of the landlord/all other owners before installing a charge port at your own expense, it doesn't mean it's impossible to get, you just can't force it.

DerFips

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I asked my landlord for a charging spot in our parking garage but as this is an apartment building it's not possible, yet.
As far as I read from some law blogs, all of the other landlords have to approve the installment, too. Otherwise you lost some money as you have to take it down again.
I'm currently plugsurfing from SuC to IKEA to Aldi. And hopefully soon to charge at work.
As I knew before that I can't have a charger at home, I wanted to buy a car with a long mile range, this was e.g. another great thing of the M3. And I'm very happy with it!