Home Charging Scenarios w/ app

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This post may be easily answered by current S/X owners, but I have a couple what-ifs

1. If I plug the car into my home charger and set the charge limit to 80%, then after the car reaches 80%, I set the app to 60% without unplugging, will the charging stop until vampire losses take the car to 60%, or will it still trickle-hold at 80% until I unplug?
  2. Similarly, if I arrive home with the charge at 70% and plug in with the app set at 60%, will it do nothing until it slowly drains down to 60% then hold it there?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This post may be easily answered by current S/X owners, but I have a couple what-ifs
View attachment 3193

1. If I plug the car into my home charger and set the charge limit to 80%, then after the car reaches 80%, I set the app to 60% without unplugging, will the charging stop until vampire losses take the car to 60%, or will it still trickle-hold at 80% until I unplug?
  2. Similarly, if I arrive home with the charge at 70% and plug in with the app set at 60%, will it do nothing until it slowly drains down to 60% then hold it there?
We can wait for an S/X owner to confirm. I'd go to my dad's and test this out for you (but the hurricane won't let me do that any time soon).

I am 99.9% sure I know the answer. You plug in with a charge limit set beneath your current charge level and nothing will happen. Once you dip beneath the desired charge level from vampire drain it will kick in and start charging.

When do you see that kind of scenario happening?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At my parent's right now so a few screenshots of my dad's phone as we adjusted to trip mode for extra range after the hurricane in case of power failure.

Seems pretty straightforward. The car will charge to and hold the desired charge level once it's there.

Also cool that you can set the charge limit from the app though I noticed you could not do that unless the UMC was first plugged in.

Then the app gives you real-time stats on charge progress!

img_2459-png.3197
img_2458-png.3198
img_2457-png.3199

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When do you see that kind of scenario happening?
If I was planning to go to on a trip but decide to stay home all weekend, or will otherwise be gone from the car for a few days after charging to a higher level, but don't want to risk vampire load taking it too low.

Thanks for checking. Stay dry down there!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I was planning to go to on a trip but decide to stay home all weekend, or will otherwise be gone from the car for a few days after charging to a higher level, but don't want to risk vampire load taking it too low.

Thanks for checking. Stay dry down there!
Ahh, interesting scenario for sure and thanks!!