Home Charging Rate SR vs MR vs LR

Darelldd

Breaker is a 40A to support sustained 30A load (Code here requires sustained load <= 80% of breaker rating which would allow a max 32A draw).
This doesn't tell us what the car can do. You're just charging at the limit of your circuit (well, of your UMC, really). The only way to know if it'll charge above 32A, is to have it on a supply that allows more than 32A. Like an gen 1 UMC, or a HPWC.

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since this seems to have resurrected itself:

First off: Before you jump in - we are talking about the MAX charge rate from the HPWC (not the mobile connector that comes with the car) - the one you permanently install on the wall.

According to Tesla:
  • The LR versions have an 11.5 kW charger, which means they can charge at up to 48A.
  • The SR/SR+/MR all have the same 7.7kW charger, which means they all top out at 32A.
The confusion arose, because at least one MR owner's car appears to have the 11.5 kW charger in it. When I tried in my MR to set the charge rate higher than 32A on my home HPWC on a 50A circuit (and dial set appropriately), it will not let me set higher than 32A. Even tried on my buddy's HPWC, who does get 48A on his LR.

So we were hoping that more people who
  1. Understand the difference between the HPWC and the Mobile Connector
  2. Understand that this thread is about the HPWC
  3. Have a HPWC and understand how to set the rotary switch
  4. Have the HPWC on a 50A or higher circuit
  5. Own a MR Tesla Model 3
....Could try it and provide more data points.

However, at least a few months ago, 1 and 2 seem to weed out 50% of people, 3 weeds out another 45% and now the MR has been out of production for some time. All I know is the one MR I have access to will not charge more than 32A (which aligns with Tesla's page), and there is at least one other MR owner who can charge at 40A (link in first post of this thread).

Darelldd

Thanks Hugh, for spelling that out about as clearly as it can be. Let's see if it works... :)

We know that all the cars charge at up to 32A on the UMC, folks! We have all the data points on that already.