Home Charging Rate SR vs MR vs LR

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is some contradictory info on the Tesla site (I'm sure everyone is shocked).

This support link: https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/onboard-charger states:
LR: max current of 48A @ 240V​
SR, MR: max current of 32A @ 240V​
The press kit here: https://www.tesla.com/presskit states (scroll down to the Model 3 section):
LR, MR, SR: all have the same rate of 40A @ 240V​
There is a user on Reddit that posted a video of his Mid Range charging at 40A, so we know that's true for at least one car. I have a Mid Range as well, but can't test it at 40A until next week or so.

SO, does the LR charge at 48A or 40A?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This support link: https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/onboard-charger states:
LR: max current of 48A @ 240V​
SR, MR: max current of 32A @ 240V​
These are the limits of the onboard vehicle chargers, from what we were told. The LR version is supposed to get a 48 amp charger (which has been confirmed), while the SR version was supposed to get a 32 amp charger (which I have not seen confirmed).

The press kit here: https://www.tesla.com/presskit states (scroll down to the Model 3 section):
LR, MR, SR: all have the same rate of 40A @ 240V​
The charge rate (37 miles of range per hour, 240V outlet, 40A) seems like a strange number to be tossing out there. The 37 mph charging rate is what you get when you use either a gen 1 mobile connector running at 40 amps (on a 50 amp circuit), or a wall connector running at 40 amps (again, on a 50 amp circuit). And supposedly, the SR and MR cars can't reach this rate.

There is a user on Reddit that posted a video of his Mid Range charging at 40A, so we know that's true for at least one car.
We should have other SR and MR owners attempt to charge their cars from 48 amp sources. Perhaps Tesla decided to get rid of the 32 amp on-board chargers altogether and deliver all cars with the 48 amp charger? Note that the person in the video states that he was using a 40 amp juicebox, so the max it could deliver was 40 amps. So it's possible that the MR in that video can also charge at 48 amps. We need to investigate! :)

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I get 48A at home on my Tesla Wall Connector. View attachment 23552
Your signature says that you have a Long Range car. It's already been confirmed that those can accept up to 48 amps.

We're trying to figure out the max for MR and SR cars. They were advertised as being limited to 32 amps, but there's now evidence that they can charge at higher rates.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, I tested my Mid Range on a HPWC connected to a 60A circuit and the rotary switch on 9... And got no more than 32A.
The car won't let me set a higher rate (it says 32A) in the charge screen and the + button is grayed out. Not sure what else I can try, but the user on Reddit must have a special one
Thanks for sharing the info with us.

It would be great to have a few more people perform the test.

Trevlan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My LR has shown the same 32a max (cannot be changed) since day one on a 14-50 nema and I get 45km or 30 miles per hour

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My LR has shown the same 32a max (cannot be changed) since day one on a 14-50 nema and I get 45km or 30 miles per hour
The Mobile Charger that comes with the car is itself limited to 32 amps, regardless of whether or not the car itself is capable of charging at a higher rate.

That's why this particular test must be conducted using a Wall Charger that has been installed to handle 48 amps or higher charge current.

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for sharing the info with us.

It would be great to have a few more people perform the test.
Yes it would... When your car is not connected to your charger and you are away from home (say driving on the freeway) and you go to the charging screen, will it let you set the charge current to higher than 32A then? Mine will not.

Darelldd

Aside from all the confusion of LR/SR and UMC/HPWC.... has anybody truly confirmed this yet? I mean there are tons of SR cars out there now....

Who can confirm the max charge rate of a SR (and MR!) car when being fed by a source that is not limited (in other words, from an HPWC that is set to at least 48A? We know that the LR has a 48A charger. What size charger (or software-limited perhaps) is in the SR and MR? And we are NOT talking about SuperCharging.

Folks buying them are asking ME, and I still have no idea.

D. J.

TOO Supporting Member
I get the full 7kw on my MR Model 3 - not sure if it can go higher than that - never had the chance since I wanted to re-use the same EVSE that I had for my Leaf (with the J1772 adapter).

D. J.

TOO Supporting Member
Found a reasonable post online:

"A 240-volt Level 2 EVSE rated at 30 amps will deliver 7.2 kilowatts (240 x 30/1000). In one hour, that will send 7.2 kWh of electricity to a plug-in vehicle, so it will be fine to service cars with on-board chargers rated at 7.2 kw or less."

Ref: https://thegreencarguy.com/pev-charging-amps-volts/

That was about the limit of my 150 amp service panel anyway with whole house AC, electric dryer, and the EVSE, at least according to the electrician that installed the subpanel in my garage and the charger for the Leaf. Would recharge the 30kWH Leaf battery in about 6 hours. I've seen charge times on the Mid Range around 12 hours when I run it down to single digits and set the limit at 90%. Most days I just charge to 70% so it finishes in a couple hours.

-=- D. J.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Found a reasonable post online:

"A 240-volt Level 2 EVSE rated at 30 amps will deliver 7.2 kilowatts (240 x 30/1000). In one hour, that will send 7.2 kWh of electricity to a plug-in vehicle, so it will be fine to service cars with on-board chargers rated at 7.2 kw or less."

Ref: https://thegreencarguy.com/pev-charging-amps-volts/

That was about the limit of my 150 amp service panel anyway with whole house AC, electric dryer, and the EVSE, at least according to the electrician that installed the subpanel in my garage and the charger for the Leaf. Would recharge the 30kWH Leaf battery in about 6 hours. I've seen charge times on the Mid Range around 12 hours when I run it down to single digits and set the limit at 90%. Most days I just charge to 70% so it finishes in a couple hours.

-=- D. J.
ok - but what Amperage is your breaker and the EVSE?

D. J.

TOO Supporting Member
Breaker is a 40A to support sustained 30A load (Code here requires sustained load <= 80% of breaker rating which would allow a max 32A draw).

Hope that helps.