Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Home charging question

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Runt8 
#1 ·
Considering different options for home charging and found this covered in my garage. Is this a spot for a Nema 14-50 outlet to be set up? If so, any recommendations for standard 14-50 outlet vs. wall connector?

Breaker box is on the outside of the house, directly behind the wall connector would go. Also does it make sense to install a 14-50 outlet and just plug a wall connector into it?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I always recommend the first charger for folks at their homes to get a J1772 Higher Amperage charger so that folks can charge any EV their.

If folks want to go with Tesla-specific, with current Wall Connector price and the de-rating of the Mobile Connector from 40a to 32a, I would suggest installing Wall Connector at home for those that want to have maximum flexibility. ASSUMING that you have the service available at home.

#5 ·
We have an Juice Box (couple years old) which we got when we leased our first EV. Plugs into the standard 14-50 and has the J1772 plug end so it works on the new Model 3 and on our hybrid Audi too. Our house has minimal service so in the 50amp outlet my smallish juicebox only asks for 40amps, therefore the car a little less too. More than enough for the Audi or the 3 on overnight.

#8 ·
The picture shows a ground bond to concrete, also known as a eupher. All of the wires are ground wires and as such won't be of use to you to install a charging circuit.

Reactions: Cgar530 and lxzm
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.