Home charging question

• JOIN @TREVP AND SOME T.O.O. CREW FOR THE FIRST EVER ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT AT BASECAMP MIAMI!
    THE LARGEST ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT ON THE EAST COAST SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8th!
    Full details and RSVP here

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tdh

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Considering different options for home charging and found this covered in my garage. Is this a spot for a Nema 14-50 outlet to be set up? If so, any recommendations for standard 14-50 outlet vs. wall connector?

Breaker box is on the outside of the house, directly behind the wall connector would go. Also does it make sense to install a 14-50 outlet and just plug a wall connector into it?

Attachments

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Considering different options for home charging and found this covered in my garage. Is this a spot for a Nema 14-50 outlet to be set up? If so, any recommendations for standard 14-50 outlet vs. wall connector?

Breaker box is on the outside of the house, directly behind the wall connector would go. Also does it make sense to install a 14-50 outlet and just plug a wall connector into it?
I always recommend the first charger for folks at their homes to get a J1772 Higher Amperage charger so that folks can charge any EV their.

If folks want to go with Tesla-specific, with current Wall Connector price and the de-rating of the Mobile Connector from 40a to 32a, I would suggest installing Wall Connector at home for those that want to have maximum flexibility. ASSUMING that you have the service available at home.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have an Juice Box (couple years old) which we got when we leased our first EV. Plugs into the standard 14-50 and has the J1772 plug end so it works on the new Model 3 and on our hybrid Audi too. Our house has minimal service so in the 50amp outlet my smallish juicebox only asks for 40amps, therefore the car a little less too. More than enough for the Audi or the 3 on overnight.

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have an Juice Box (couple years old) which we got when we leased our first EV. Plugs into the standard 14-50 and has the J1772 plug end so it works on the new Model 3 and on our hybrid Audi too. Our house has minimal service so in the 50amp outlet my smallish juicebox only asks for 40amps, therefore the car a little less too. More than enough for the Audi or the 3 on overnight.
Because it's a continuous load, an Ev charger will pull 20% less than the maximum rating - so for a 50A breaker/wiring/outlet, that's 40A. For a 40A breaker/wiring/outlet, you get 32A.