Home Charging Benefits?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With the Model 3 limited to 48 amps when charging, is there any real benefit to installing a Tesla wall charger instead of just using a NEMA 14-50 plug...other than convenience of course. Thanks in advance.

Dan
I don’t even think convenience is a factor.

I have the Nema 14-50 installed and will keep the UMC permanently plugged in and organized for $25 with this...

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/produc...del-s_x-cable-organizer.html?sku=1022771-00-A

It will literally be the same step to charge the car either way. I don’t think I will ever take the UMC with me as far as I can tell.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With the Model 3 limited to 48 amps when charging, is there any real benefit to installing a Tesla wall charger instead of just using a NEMA 14-50 plug...other than convenience of course. Thanks in advance.
There are some benefits, but they're pretty minor.
  • The wall connector will allow you to charge at 48 amps, whereas the NEMA 14-50 will limit you to 40 amps.
  • If you need to purchase one, a wall connector is $500, while the Mobile Connector is $520, so it's a little less expensive.
  • The wall connector supports higher currents, if you want to future-proof your charging solution to support your *next* Tesla. :)
But given that the car comes with a MC, I think the least expensive option is to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and just leave the MC plugged in all of the time. That's going to be my plan.

Roderick80

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
There are some benefits, but they're pretty minor.
  • The wall connector will allow you to charge at 48 amps, whereas the NEMA 14-50 will limit you to 40 amps.
  • If you need to purchase one, a wall connector is $500, while the Mobile Connector is $520, so it's a little less expensive.
  • The wall connector supports higher currents, if you want to future-proof your charging solution to support your *next* Tesla. :)
But given that the car comes with a MC, I think the least expensive option is to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and just leave the MC plugged in all of the time. That's going to be my plan.
One additional benefit for those with more than one Tesla (esp. if both are driven a lot):
  • Multiple wall connectors can be connected to the same circuit breaker (the WCs will share the load).

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One additional benefit for those with more than one Tesla (esp. if both are driven a lot):
  • Multiple wall connectors can be connected to the same circuit breaker (the WCs will share the load).
For my personal setup, I would likely just have 2 Nema 14-50s installed. Now if I was maxed out on my panel then the Wall Connector definitely makes sense.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Are you sure? I was under the impression the new UMC is 32A as @tonymil suggested.
That is correct -- second generation Mobile Connector (which is included with the Model 3) is rated at 32 amps maximum output. (source)

It's worth noting that the first generation Mobile Connector (which still ships with the Model S/X) has a maximum output of 40 amps.

Model 3 SR is 32 amp, LR is 48 amp.
Those are indeed the correct maximum charging currents supported by the on-board chargers of these two Model 3 variants (source), but those two ratings are unrelated to the rating of the second-generation Mobile Connector. Naturally, the maximum charging current will be the lesser of the Mobile Connector's maximum output and the rating of the on-board charger.

TL;DR -- maximum charging currents with a Mobile Connector are:
  • 2nd Generation Mobile Connector:
    • Long Range: 32 amps
    • Standard Battery: 32 amps
  • 1st Generation Mobile Connector:
    • Long Range: 40 amps
    • Standard Battery: 32 amps

Last edited:

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is correct -- second generation Mobile Connector is rated at 32 amps maximum output. (source)

Those are indeed the correct maximum charging currents supported by the on-board chargers of these two Model 3 variants (source), but those two ratings are unrelated to the rating of the Mobile Connector.

TL;DR -- with a Mobile Connector, both the Long Range and Standard Standard configurations have a maximum charging current of 32 amps.
Ah! I stand corrected!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because I’m slow...does this mean I’ll be better off using our Model S charging cable for my Model 3? (I plan to get first production so LR)

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The wall connector needs one less conductor than a NEMA 14-50 which could save money on a long run. The wall connector also cannot be easily unplugged so it may prevent theft. I realize both of these are debatable but thought they are worth mentioning especially if you're in a shared garage. And then if you're in a shared garage looks cool may matter more as well.;)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because I’m slow...does this mean I’ll be better off using our Model S charging cable for my Model 3? (I plan to get first production so LR)
It depends on your daily commute more than anything. As a for instance on my typical day I drive 65-75 miles. At 32A it should be no more than 3 hours to get me to a full charge. On a typical day my car is probably in the garage for 11 hours or so, so nothing to worry about!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Assuming your Model S Mobile Connector is on a 50-amp circuit and delivering 40 amps, then your Model 3 will charge a little faster (at 37 miles/hour) than it would with its own Mobile Connector (at 30 miles/hour).

If those additional 7 miles/hour will make a difference for your driving schedule, then you'll be better off. Otherwise, you may not notice any difference, especially for an overnight charge.

Country
Country
Also check for state incentives to install EV Charging Infrastructure at a residence. In Oregon through 2017, they offer a 50% tax credit for EVSE and any hardware costs associated w/ the install. A 14-50 would be no credit (it's not permanent EVSE). I can't speak outside of Oregon, but to me this made the decision to install the Wall Connector.