Home charging at 20 amps?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Regarding the use of a 20 Amp circuit. Does it provides enough current for the car to cool or heat the battery and do whatever else it needs to maintain itself? The recommendation from the Tesla manual is to try to be always be plugged in. I don't have indoor parking and need to make it through hot summer days and cold winters.

This question is not about charging rates, but I did want to weigh in. The Telsa app is the best way to assess individual charging rates. The non-supercharging Tesla charging stations within walking distance from my home charges at 39 miles/hour. The Supercharger I used yesterday was over 400. The 20 Amp circuit is outside my home (from my now traded-in Volt) will not be my primary charging station, but I'd like to be able to use it and get some benefit.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Regarding the use of a 20 Amp circuit. Does it provides enough current for the car to cool or heat the battery and do whatever else it needs to maintain itself?
Yes.
Even a 15 amp 120v circuit will work - it just takes a very long time to charge the battery at lower rates and voltages.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Regarding the use of a 20 Amp circuit. Does it provides enough current for the car to cool or heat the battery and do whatever else it needs to maintain itself?
If you're talking about 20 amp at 110 volts, it will work, but slowly. If you can get a 240 volt outlet installed, even at the same 20 amps it's going to be something like 4 times faster.

Whichever outlet you use, the Tesla manual is correct, there is no reason to unplug the car unless you're going somewhere (unless you have 2 EV's sharing the same outlet, that could be an exception). The battery management system will take care of everything else.

Jim Brown

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello All,

It has been determined that I can install a 20 amp circuit in my garage that should, according to Tesla, achieve an 11 mile per hour charging rate. I don't drive a lot of miles so it sounds like this should be sufficient for my needs. [My home main electrical panel is close to maximium, necessitating the restriction to a 20 amp circuit.]. Do you folks think that I am kidding myself by going this route? I could upgrade my main electrical panel to 200 amps but it would cost upwards of $4000 and require the new panel be installed on the front of the house. This option is not very desirable from both a cost and cosmetic perspective.

Any words of wisdom are welcome.

Many thanks,

Ev
I had a 20 amp circuit / 240 volts for a while. It did just fine. I was putting on 14 to 15 miles each hour. I would usually charge every 2 or 3 days, whenever I got down to about 50% (150 to 170 miles). I set my car to charge up to 250 miles. Charging would start at midnight, and by morning, I was good to go. I never had a problem getting it up to 250, or more if I needed. Just last week I "upgraded" to a 30 amp circuit. Now I'm putting on 22 miles per hour. I bought the Tesla wall charger. It was easily worth the $500. Plus my electric company gave me a $750 rebate for installing a home charging station. I keep the NEMA 14-50 plug in the car, so I have it when I'm out driving. I don't really have access to a Supercharger. The nearest Superchargers are 50-60 miles east and west of here. Although "they" say there will be a Supercharger here in Pensacola sometime in 2019.

Last edited: