Question Home adapter recommendation

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Hello, new used Tesla (soon to be) owner with noob question.

I have a used Model S 2015 being delivered in a week or two. I'm now trying to set up my home to charge it. I'll have an electrician come out and install a 220V outlet in the garage. I live in the US and have a breaker box in the garage so it shouldn't be too hard ($$). A Tesla owner friend told be to steer away from the Tesla home charger as not worth is and to go this route.

But looking at the Tesla site and trying to order an adapter I notice the plug orientation that I assumed I needed (looks like a dryer outlet) is terrible in terms of miles per hour of charging. There are others on the Gen 1 chart that do 17/mph and 29/mph while my little dryer outlet model get a measly 4/mph. What adapter *can* I get installed living in the US and what am I overlooking / over thinking? Also, friend tells me I need this whole thing on a 40amp circuit....agree with that?

Sorry, this is sort of all over the place....hope you get the geist of my question / situation. Thanks so much for your help...

Oh...I've also ordered the Tri-Motor CyberTruck and that will be charging in the garage too if that makes a difference...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A Tesla owner friend told be to steer away from the Tesla home charger as not worth is and to go this route.
Did you make sure that the used car you're getting includes a Mobile Connector?
But looking at the Tesla site and trying to order an adapter I notice the plug orientation that I assumed I needed (looks like a dryer outlet) is terrible in terms of miles per hour of charging.
You'll need to be more specific about what you're calling a "dryer outlet". The type of outlet used for dryers has changed over time. The standard for newer homes is a NEMA 14-50 outlet. This gets added to a 50 amp circuit, and allows you to charge at 40 amps (you're limited to 80% of a circuit's rating when you're charging a car). That's the highest rate you can achieve with a Mobile Connector.
There are others on the Gen 1 chart that do 17/mph and 29/mph while my little dryer outlet model get a measly 4/mph.
That's not a dryer outlet. You're describing a NEMA 5-20 outlet. It actually looks identical to a regular (5-15) outlet, except one of the prongs is rotated.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-1-nema-adapters

HCD3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hello, new used Tesla (soon to be) owner with noob question.

I have a used Model S 2015 being delivered in a week or two. I'm now trying to set up my home to charge it. I'll have an electrician come out and install a 220V outlet in the garage. I live in the US and have a breaker box in the garage so it shouldn't be too hard ($$). A Tesla owner friend told be to steer away from the Tesla home charger as not worth is and to go this route.

But looking at the Tesla site and trying to order an adapter I notice the plug orientation that I assumed I needed (looks like a dryer outlet) is terrible in terms of miles per hour of charging. There are others on the Gen 1 chart that do 17/mph and 29/mph while my little dryer outlet model get a measly 4/mph. What adapter *can* I get installed living in the US and what am I overlooking / over thinking? Also, friend tells me I need this whole thing on a 40amp circuit....agree with that?

Sorry, this is sort of all over the place....hope you get the geist of my question / situation. Thanks so much for your help...

Oh...I've also ordered the Tri-Motor CyberTruck and that will be charging in the garage too if that makes a difference...
You will need a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50 amp breaker. If you have yet to run a wire to the outlet use 6 gauge copper wire. The NEMA 14-50 adapter is on the Tesla store. Since this adapter is no longer included with the car they tend to be in short supply. All of this being said, all you may need should come with the car.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
thanks for the replies. I spoke with the delivery team contact and he mentioned the car only comes with a 110 adapter and suggested I buy a power wall and adapters as necessary. Sounds like the NEMA 14-50 is the way to go so I'll be ordering one from the tesla site.

thanks again! very helpful

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
suggested I buy a power wall and adapters as necessary.
It sounds like your car will come with a mobile connector(MC), this is the device that plugs into your wall outlet, and with an adapter attached, plugs into your car to charge it. But, as is the case these days, your MC only comes with the 110 adapter which charges quite slowly. If your daily miles are quite low, or if you live close to a supercharger, this charging level may be adequate for you. However, as you've learned, a NEMA 14-50 is relatively easy and inexpensive to install and provides a much higher charge rate. This outlet will require you to purchase a NEMA 14-50 adapter from Tesla at about $35(if they're in stock) or from someone like EVSE.com at about $75. If your electrician is unfamiliar with Tesla, make sure he sees a 14/50 adapter so he can orient the outlet correctly(upside down from it's logical orientation), such that the mobile connector hangs below the outlet. None of this has anything to do with a "powerwall", I'm not sure where that info came from. A powerwall is a large and very expensive ($7,000+) energy storage device used to power a whole home.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
thanks for the replies. I spoke with the delivery team contact and he mentioned the car only comes with a 110 adapter and suggested I buy a power wall and adapters as necessary. Sounds like the NEMA 14-50 is the way to go so I'll be ordering one from the tesla site.
Make sure you CONFIRM exactly which mobile connector you'll be receiving with the car before you order the adapter.

Gen1 adapters: https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-1-nema-adapters, $45
Gen2 adapters: https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters, $35

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
It sounds like your car will come with a mobile connector(MC), this is the device that plugs into your wall outlet, and with an adapter attached, plugs into your car to charge it. But, as is the case these days, your MC only comes with the 110 adapter which charges quite slowly. If your daily miles are quite low, or if you live close to a supercharger, this charging level may be adequate for you. However, as you've learned, a NEMA 14-50 is relatively easy and inexpensive to install and provides a much higher charge rate. This outlet will require you to purchase a NEMA 14-50 adapter from Tesla at about $35(if they're in stock) or from someone like EVSE.com at about $75. If your electrician is unfamiliar with Tesla, make sure he sees a 14/50 adapter so he can orient the outlet correctly(upside down from it's logical orientation), such that the mobile connector hangs below the outlet. None of this has anything to do with a "powerwall", I'm not sure where that info came from. A powerwall is a large and very expensive ($7,000+) energy storage device used to power a whole home.
You're right, I said power wall but meant the tesla branded power charger that mounts on the wall for cars that cost $500 or so for V3.0.

GadgetX

Country
Country
A Tesla owner friend told be to steer away from the Tesla home charger as not worth is and to go this route.
IMHO I don't not understand why someone would suggest steering away from the Tesla Charger. I take it that he DOES NOT HAVE A TESLA CHARGER. I have the Tesla Gen 3 Charger and really love it. My electrical is just outside the garage and the licensed and insured electrician charged me $195 to install. Took about an hour. Less than 7 bills to buy and install.

M

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
IMHO I don't not understand why someone would suggest steering away from the Tesla Charger.
Probably just because it's $500, and the Mobile Connector that's included with the vehicle is plenty good enough once you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed & the appropriate adapter.

But also, I wouldn't recommend a wall charger to anybody unless they were pretty committed to owning additional Teslas down the line. An outlet gives you options for using other EVSEs in case you get another brand of electric vehicle in the future. After they've owned a Tesla for a while, they'll realize that they'll never consider another brand of EV, and THEN they'll be ready to commit to a Wall Connector. ;)

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
An electrician may not be able to install the highest current that there is, if there isn't enough capacity in your service.

Dependent on your usage, you may not need the highest current available, that depends on your usage. I'm only charging on 120V 15A right now and I'm full well before I need it.

But, if available, go for a 0A 240 circuit. You can use this with the Tesla Wall charger (way over-priced and only a few minutes faster charging).

The UMC is an awesome compromise, I have 2 for each car, one that stays in the car and one that stays on the wall. You will need the correct plug adapter for the correct socket. A NEMA 14-50 is the highest current, most generic (other things can use) option. You will need the correct adapter to match what the electrician installs. You can order the NEMA 14-50 adapter from Tesla Store. I've got a plastic water hose holder to hold the cord when not in use.

If your panel doesn't have the capacity for a 240V 50A circuit, then just downgrade to what it can support. Try to keep 240V and not drop to 120V when possible (a 240V 15A circuit is just as fast as a 120V 30A circuit).

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters lists the adapters that Tesla has for the Gen2 UMC. The Gen2 UMC is at https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-mobile-connector-bundle

On the adapter page you will see the list of adapters and the charging rate table for each adapter, for each vehicle. Pretty easy to see what your options are.

Just don't assume that you absolutely have to have the biggest solution. If you drive less than 30 miles per day, you can see that a 120V 15A solution can probably work for you.

If you have a Supercharger near you https://www.tesla.com/supercharger then if for some reason, like taking a longer trip, you need to charge faster, then a quick trip can solve your problem.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
IMHO I don't not understand why someone would suggest steering away from the Tesla Charger. I take it that he DOES NOT HAVE A TESLA CHARGER. I have the Tesla Gen 3 Charger and really love it. My electrical is just outside the garage and the licensed and insured electrician charged me $195 to install. Took about an hour. Less than 7 bills to buy and install.

M
I've got nothing against the Wall Connector except cost. You paid under $700 for the admittedly superior Wall Connector, I paid $115 for my NEMA 14-50 that exceeds my needs. Different strokes for different folks.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had a 220 volt 14-50 outlet installed in my garage, got a 2nd used Mobile Connector for $200, and wall mounted it (the wall mount bracket was a cheap one from Amazon). That way I can keep one for charging in the garage, and one in the car for emergencies or travel.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I highly recommend a 14-30 standard dryer plug if you have limited power (or money), outlet and wiring can be installed all in for less than $100. 24A charging is perfect for home where the car remains plugged in overnight. I've never needed more than that, and I even turn it down to 20A in the summer months when ACs are running.
A 14-50 will cost a bit more but worth it as well. Either way, they can be used not only with a tesla mobile charger, but most other electric cars you might have (or are visiting) in the future.

The wall connector might look cooler, but it is much more expensive, and most electricians will charge the Tesla tax and rip you off to install it.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I highly recommend a 14-30 standard dryer plug if you have limited power (or money), outlet and wiring can be installed all in for less than $100
I would like to add to that: Also if you're living in a rental. You might end up having to plug into your actual dryer outlet if the building owner won't let you install a new outlet.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've got nothing against the Wall Connector except cost. You paid under $700 for the admittedly superior Wall Connector, I paid $115 for my NEMA 14-50 that exceeds my needs. Different strokes for different folks.
A bit different as with the wall connector, the mobile one gets to stay in the vehicle (very costly convenience). If you add the cost of a separate mobile connector and 14-50 adapter the price difference isn’t that great (~$200).

And don’t forget the added “value” of the cool green knight rider flashing led when charging. Def worth >$200 😂

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I highly recommend a 14-30 standard dryer plug if you have limited power (or money), outlet and wiring can be installed all in for less than $100. 24A charging is perfect for home where the car remains plugged in overnight. I've never needed more than that, and I even turn it down to 20A in the summer months when ACs are running.
A 14-50 will cost a bit more but worth it as well. Either way, they can be used not only with a tesla mobile charger, but most other electric cars you might have (or are visiting) in the future.

The wall connector might look cooler, but it is much more expensive, and most electricians will charge the Tesla tax and rip you off to install it.
Jeez, I’m starting to notice the Tesla tax when it’s not even related to my car! Had a couple contractors look to do flooring for me and they ogled the 3 for a while. The ones that saw my 3 gave me absolutely insane prices. When my wife took the 3 to work and contractors saw the Pilot I got decent prices. Anecdotal, I know, but I swear that Tesla Tax fear makes me want to hide my car.

Last edited:

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Jeez, I’m starting to notice the Tesla tax when it’s not even related to my car! Had a couple contractors look to do flooring for me and they ogled the 3 for a while. The ones that saw my 3 gave me absolutely insane prices. When my wife took the 3 to work and contractors saw the Pilot I got decent prices. Anecdotal, I know, but I swear that Tesla Tax gear makes me want to hide my car.
Not anecdotal, that's real and it works both ways. Residential contractors know to never drive their nice car to a job sight because the client/potential client will think they make too much money and assume their quote is too high. Reverse Tesla tax.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A bit different as with the wall connector, the mobile one gets to stay in the vehicle (very costly convenience).
The "convenience cost" depends on your individual situation. And I'd argue that it's very, very low for most people.

I have a wall connector installed, but my mobile connector stays in the garage. The only time I put it in the car is when I'm going on a road trip, and even then it's a "just in case" thing. With all the superchargers and level-2 chargers across the country, I've NEVER had to use my mobile connector.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The "convenience cost" depends on your individual situation. And I'd argue that it's very, very low for most people.

I have a wall connector installed, but my mobile connector stays in the garage. The only time I put it in the car is when I'm going on a road trip, and even then it's a "just in case" thing. With all the superchargers and level-2 chargers across the country, I've NEVER had to use my mobile connector.
Agreed. I've had it in my trunk since purchase and in that year and a half I only used it when I drove out to NC (brother installed a NEMA14-50 for me). I could have easily made do with nearby SC/L2 chargers at a slight inconvenience. The most cost effective option would have been to install the 14-50, kept my mobile charger in my garage plugged in and saved $500.

But...... this is SOOOO much sexier, and by association I am too 😂
img_0769-jpeg.34534

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Jeez, I’m starting to notice the Tesla tax when it’s not even related to my car! Had a couple contractors look to do flooring for me and they ogled the 3 for a while. The ones that saw my 3 gave me absolutely insane prices. When my wife took the 3 to work and contractors saw the Pilot I got decent prices. Anecdotal, I know, but I swear that Tesla Tax fear makes me want to hide my car.
I usually try to beat the Tesla tax by giving the contractor a tour of it if they're staring. I often have to correct their misconception that it's priced like a Ferrari, and that it's actually cheaper than either of the Mercedes SUV's at the house 3 doors up.

One thing I heard, but fortunately have not had an encounter with, is that when Tesla owners are pulled over by cops, they always get cited because a lot of police still believe we're driving $100,000+ supercars and are rich enough to afford a ticket. I haven't had an encounter with police fortunately because I try not to drive in a manner which would draw attention to myself. :)