High pitch whine around 42 MPH

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In the past couple weeks or so I've noticed a high pitched whine around 42 MPH. It's pretty noticeable somewhere around 40-45 MPH then it goes away. Has anyone heard this? I don't know if I should go take it in or not, but it seems like it's coming from the drive unit. Haven't had a software update recently or anything. Any thoughts?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually... yes? Is it that simple? I had some wood in there and forgot to put the seat back up. I will put it back up on my drive home and see if it's gone. That's hilarious if true.
Oh, yeah. The rear seats block a lot of road noise from the rear tires and wheel wells.

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I put it up but it was pouring on the drive home, so I'm about 98% sure I wouldn't have heard it between the rain and the wipers. I'll check in the morning...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same problem. Was ready to place an appointment at the MTL service center and saw this post. I had fold down the rear left seat to help the charge port to unfreeze with the cabin heating. Today I place the seat in the right position and did a 60 miles commute and did not heard that high pitch tone. I will continue to be attentive and will report back.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed that high-pitch whine after about 1000 km driving from new. Initially it was very faint, appeared at about 70 to 80 km/h speed and it was intermittent. It has grown louder and the range of speed when it occurs has increased; now I can hear it - and especially passengers in the back seats - from about 50 to 80 km/h. It intermittent and I can't find a pattern but is is annoying for sure. I have heard that other owners of M3 LR RWD (mine dates back to June 2018) experience the same high pitch whine and were told that it is the single gear in the transmission that generates it and so, nothing as such can be done about it.