Hi, Another Newbie Here

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all - I found this forum after watching the extensive Model 3 in depth look on YouTube.

I've ordered my Model 3, I'm hoping to get the extended range, perhaps all wheel drive, and the premium interior. I'm undecided on the wheels, I might take range over wheel size.

I currently have a GTI, but I'm completely sold on electric cars and like most of what Tesla is doing. I'm expecting to get my car towards the end of '18 maybe early '19.

I'm British but live in Brooklyn, NY although might consider a move to the 'burbs once I go electric, as charging might be a hassle with no garage in the City.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all - I found this forum after watching the extensive Model 3 in depth look on YouTube.

I've ordered my Model 3, I'm hoping to get the extended range, perhaps all wheel drive, and the premium interior. I'm undecided on the wheels, I might take range over wheel size.

I currently have a GTI, but I'm completely sold on electric cars and like most of what Tesla is doing. I'm expecting to get my car towards the end of '18 maybe early '19.

I'm British but live in Brooklyn, NY although might consider a move to the 'burbs once I go electric, as charging might be a hassle with no garage in the City.
Welcome to the Forum!

This is a great place to hang out as your wait begins :)

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Welcome!

Regarding charging... am I correct in assuming you live in an apartment or condo? You mentioned that you don't have access to a garage, but does the building have any dedicated parking facility? If so, I'm wondering if there's any any chance that the management company/condo association would consider installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet or charging station in that facility?

If none of the above applies, another possibility is that, by the time you take delivery, Telsa will have installed a fair number of urban superchargers (intended to service apartment-dwellers with no access to at-home charging) available in NYC. That would also provide you with some decent charging options if your living arrangements do not provide any.

That said, as someone who has been driving an EV of some sort for 5 years, I can confirm what you already suspect, which is that having the ability to charge at home -- even from a standard 120V outlet -- is several orders of magnitude more convenient than the alternative. There's no real need for a garage (my house doesn't have one), all you need is a parking space and a dedicated circuit nearby to plug into... hence why I asked whether your current living situation might offer some path to this most basic requirement.

Of course, if, deep down in your heart of hearts, you really want to move to the 'burbs anyway, then ignore everything I wrote above and just do it, and think of the added convenience of charging in a driveway/garage as a fringe benefit. :)

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

Well, cheerio, British friend, and greetings from ‘continental’ Europe...! :)
Just curious, when did you reserve your Model 3?

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome!

Regarding charging... am I correct in assuming you live in an apartment or condo? You mentioned that you don't have access to a garage, but does the building have any dedicated parking facility? If so, I'm wondering if there's any any chance that the management company/condo association would consider installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet or charging station in that facility?
Yes there is an enclosed parking lot with reserved spots (I am in a coop, which are very common in New York). There are even lights shared between spots so there is definitely power, so I might ask the Board and Management closer to the time if this is something they'd consider. If they don't want a shared EV charger, I might even pay for one myself but I'd have to consider the cost.

If none of the above applies, another possibility is that, by the time you take delivery, Telsa will have installed a fair number of urban superchargers (intended to service apartment-dwellers with no access to at-home charging) available in NYC. That would also provide you with some decent charging options if your living arrangements do not provide any.
There is a Tesla dealer / service shop just down the end of my street (you can probably figure out where I am in BK) but oddly they don't have charging there for owners despite there being a lot of commercial space in this area. Maybe they'll consider a supercharger here.

I do love where I live, but NYC can grind you down after a while. I've lived here 12 years (I was raised in a small village in England) and maybe it's time for a change. Thanks for all the advice though, it's really helpful.

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, cheerio, British friend, and greetings from ‘continental’ Europe...! :)
Just curious, when did you reserve your Model 3?
Hi - only last week. I almost pulled the trigger in June, but I really wanted to see some of the hands on reviews - the M3OC videos on YouTube pretty much nailed it for me.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Hi - only last week. I almost pulled the trigger in June, but I really wanted to see some of the hands on reviews - the TOO videos on YouTube pretty much nailed it for me.
Ha. Ok, well yeah, the TOO had the same effect on my too...
Just a thing, if you only reserved only last week, I hope you’re mentally prepared for these delivery not taking place much before 2Q to mid’19, since there are probably 500-600k reservation holders ahead in line, including some very patient compatriots of yours in a RHD country who reserved 18 months ago and are already ‘programmed’ to wait until early 2019... ;)

Yet do not despair... the prize is definitely going to be worth the wait... this coming from someone who probably will have waited more than 2 and a half years in total by the time my own prize potentially shows up at best... :)