HEY TESLA-How about a different reward for referrals

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We own two Model 3's in my household; My P3D and My wife's LR dual. Over the last couple of month's we've gotten credit for 3 referrals, and expect a couple more over the next few weeks. The problem is using supercharger credit. My car is free charging for life so credits are useless. We both charge at home so, once again, credits are useless. If we go on a roadtrip, we take the P3D because, well, I ain't drivin' the pokey non-performance.:rolleyes: So, bottom line, referral credits are worthless to us, and are wasted.

Yeah, I know, each referral is worth a drawing(or two) in the big raffle. Anyone heard from a winner, yet? Not me, and I ain't holdin' my breath.

So, if the intent of referral credits is to incentivize us to sell cars, how about giving us another option. The current format no longer interests me, and I'm guessing I'm not alone. Yeah, I care about the mission and all that blah, blah, blah. But the fact is that humans work harder for a reward.

My suggestion: Tesla by now knows almost exactly how much a referral credit costs them. Assign a value to a charging mile(perhaps it's 50% of what a charging mile costs Tesla, perhaps it's 100%). But assign a value, and let us trade in miles for merchandise, service, or anything that provides Tesla a profit margin. Tesla turns my worthless miles into profit, and I get a reason to seek out referrals. Win/Win.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We own two Model 3's in my household; My P3D and My wife's LR dual. Over the last couple of month's we've gotten credit for 3 referrals, and expect a couple more over the next few weeks. The problem is using supercharger credit. My car is free charging for life so credits are useless. We both charge at home so, once again, credits are useless. If we go on a roadtrip, we take the P3D because, well, I ain't drivin' the pokey non-performance.:rolleyes: So, bottom line, referral credits are worthless to us, and are wasted.

Yeah, I know, each referral is worth a drawing(or two) in the big raffle. Anyone heard from a winner, yet? Not me, and I ain't holdin' my breath.

So, if the intent of referral credits is to incentivize us to sell cars, how about giving us another option. The current format no longer interests me, and I'm guessing I'm not alone. Yeah, I care about the mission and all that blah, blah, blah. But the fact is that humans work harder for a reward.

My suggestion: Tesla by now knows almost exactly how much a referral credit costs them. Assign a value to a charging mile(perhaps it's 50% of what a charging mile costs Tesla, perhaps it's 100%). But assign a value, and let us trade in miles for merchandise, service, or anything that provides Tesla a profit margin. Tesla turns my worthless miles into profit, and I get a reason to seek out referrals. Win/Win.
Tesla has historically changed up what the rewards are over time. I've earned 7 or 8 referral awards, but only one of those was tied to free supercharging credits.

so, give it time, and wait and see what the next program brings.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately, my worthless credits will have expired by then. Costing Tesla nothing, but gaining them nothing either.

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ive had one referral late last year that was translated into the ‘send a picture to space’ thing that apparently has never materialized. I would have gotten more use out of 50mi worth of free supercharging....

I am curious if they ever have done any of those drawings. Wasn’t it supposed to be an M3 monthly and a chance for a roadster every quarter or something like that?

They really probably should have made it easier on themselves (especially in the last year or so as sales have skyrocketed) and just had a ‘shop’ where you could get T-shirts or hoodies for referrals. Like turning in tickets from playing a lot of Skee-ball.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like the post I saw in a different thread where @Dr. J mentioned exchanging the free miles for a sweatshirt. I’d be all over a free t-shirt, hat, etc. for a referral! I don’t need the miles either.... my wife’s car is lifetime unlimited so we use that for travel. And actually, most of our travel is TRAVEL... meaning jets.
How crazy would it be though @FRC if your name was picked in the drawing for a Roadster!!!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll mount a blade under it and come cut your grass!
NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO CUT MY GRASS!!!!!!!! I sing songs to each individual blade as I give them haircuts ... for the greater good.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They probably aren’t motivated to make any changes when they just finished another quarter of sales outpacing demand. As things shift, I expect so to would rewards.

The thing about supercharging credits as a prize is that many won’t use them all (thus reducing their cost). I have 17,000 free miles earned and still have 16,910 miles remaining. They’re also easy to administer — literally no work needed.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, as we all know but I felt like writing it here. It’s better than nothing! Which we had a small window of no rewards that I recall all too well as that’s when my friend Dan bought his Model 3!!! (He bought me a Tesla sweatshirt though which is bada$$ and totally wasn’t necessary...love it!)

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m pretty much in awe of those of you who have actually benefitted at all from referral credits. I’m guessing you have a different set of friends and acquaintances than I. To date after 14 months of ownership exactly zero referrals. I’m indeed jealous. But I’m not bitter. Much. Ok I’m bitter.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Please don't be bitter. I promise you, if you charge at home, the current referral award is virtually worthless. And even if you use all your referral miles, the award is worth about $70.

11thIndian

Country
Country
While the dollar value may be minimal, I think mentally 1,000... 5,000 free miles feels good. I was lucky enough to get the free Supercharging for 2 years deal at the end of the quarter on my LR AWD. I charge for free at work, but our regular trips to Tahoe, PLUS a cross-country trip I want to make next Summer will feel particularly pleasant cause not only are we saving on the flights, but the drive isn't costing us anything either.

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah the reward system is a little weird. If you already have supercharging for life, the credits aren't really useful.

I got a referral during the period of time about a year ago where they were giving away some message on etched glass to be blasted off in to space. I was never contacted or found out how to submit that. Did anyone else get that reward? I'd trade it for some free miles of SC at this point.

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The piece of glass in space reward seems to have quietly vanished. That’s the only reward I’ve ever ‘gotten’ as well, and it would have been nice for them to at least acknowledge that it wasn’t happening or was even being postponed.