Hey, Northeast. It just got cold, check your tire pressure!

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The temperature went from the 80's to the 40's in just about a week and I lost 5 PSI. Good time to refill them. PSI = Range!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A good rule of thumb for the relationship between ambient temperature and tire pressure: 10 °F = 1 PSI.

Every year, that first frosty fall morning is my cue to check the tire pressure on both of our cars to make sure they're ready for the 30s and 20s to come. PSI = range, indeed, but also a reduced risk of pinch flats if you've got low-profile tires. :)

Rdwrrr

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for this post. I just got my car and this reminded me to check the pressure. The SC gave me the car with pressure at 45 psi. Is that appropriate, or I should increase it further given that in NYC, the weather is down to the 40s

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for this post. I just got my car and this reminded me to check the pressure. The SC gave me the car with pressure at 45 psi. Is that appropriate, or I should increase it further given that in NYC, the weather is down to the 40s
45 PSI when cold is plenty. Bear in mind it will increase when the tires warm up (at high speed) - over that pressure and you're going to be trading grip (and therefore safety) and comfort for minimal range improvements.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
45 PSI when cold is plenty. Bear in mind it will increase when the tires warm up (at high speed) - over that pressure and you're going to be trading grip (and therefore safety) and comfort for minimal range improvements.
Also bear in mind that recommended Cold Pressure factors in (i.e. expects) that the tire pressure will go up at highway speeds.
There is nothing wrong with the tire going 5 pounds or so up when the tires warm up.

Just put in what the door tag says (cold) and check it during seasonal changes.

Some door tags say 45 and others 42. Mine says 42.

Running at 45 Cold should be not be a safety risk at highway speed.