How-To Here's how to safely tap 12v power for add-ons

_Travis_

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sure can.

Looks like that's still the image there. Incidentally, see the above traffic -- it looks like Tesla is now populating that position; if you're updating, you might want to comment on that.
So unfortunately imgur won't let you modify albums, you have to delete and re-post, so there's now another album and hopefully people will find their way to it. But that image has been corrected.

ftenab

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, I briefly looked for documentation supporting that, but couldn’t find it. EU owner manual still doesn’t mention, and epg doesn’t show a new connector on the rear harness. Do you have anything that points to details?
I wonder if any european owner using trailer already in M3 could tell us where this red wiring is going on the rear trunk. Is clear is going from the VC-left to any rear point (laying from the left side doors down) , and the cable is very evident to find so it seems is the only one with this size (seems 14AWG) going to rear with big black tape package with other small cables less thickness.

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can't seem to find out for sure, but is there a good 12V access point for accessories up front? I found this video, but someone said it doesn't exist in newer cars? I haven't dug into mine yet to see if it's there, and wasn't sure if it's the best spot available.

I don't care if it's always on or only on when the car is on, as long as it's not extremely difficult to access and safe to use. Somewhere under the dash or under the frunk would be best.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
See my post 37 in this thread.
However since the introduction of Sentry, that line stays on often, instead of switching on and off.
Which means anything plugged in, stays on unless it has auto power down.

Sentry keeps the USB and accessory ports active.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
See my post 37 in this thread.
However since the introduction of Sentry, that line stays on often, instead of switching on and off.
Which means anything plugged in, stays on unless it has auto power down.

Sentry keeps the USB and accessory ports active.
If the car isn't "Sleeping" (i.e. Sentry) everything is on. Well, I'm not sure if the HVAC fans are on, probably. I tap 12V from the Rear Amp, so even the car radio Amps are on chewing up watts when Sentry is on.

I find it so odd that on a brand new design car it has to have everything on or nothing on and there is no state in between. When I first got the car I thought they just had not got around to it in software yet.
But since the introduction of Sentry mode, it seems inherent in the design that it's all or nothing. It's crazy.