How-To Here's how to safely tap 12v power for add-ons

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Correct. At the time I tapped mine we did know about the Blue wire. But Ingineer was recommending the other connector (Empty first then Red Wire) because it turned off immediately after walking away from the vehicle.

Unfortunately this time seems to be different for different people. I'm not sure if this is by build date, or if it's whether you're parked at home, whether Sentry is on or off, whether you're charging, etc. But I've read about the center console staying on much longer than 15 minutes, which is why I'm hesitant to switch to it.
It turns off when the car goes to sleep and has for a year or so. If you keep your car awake in sentry mode etc then it won't turn off. That's not new.

I e-mailed Ingineer and it appears he may have come through for us again. You can read his post here:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/12v-switched.147325/page-2#post-4729829

There are two options. One that is from the ODBII connector and should be more reliable. Another is to tap the amp power in the trunk (if you have premium sound).

@JWardell do you know if it's possible to access this ODBII option on older cars? He says the DLC3 port is new?
As with all the other apps and CAN tools, you need to buy a rear console harness, and it should be tapping into the blue accessory wire.
It is rumored that a real OBD port was added as of May 2020 production. Lucky if anyone has one yet. It has existed longer in China Model 3s and possibly some european cars

eXntrc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I updated to 2020.20.5 today. VCleft is still constant 12v, it did not revert to switched.
Thanks for the heads up @todd2fst4u. How long does it take for your car to go to sleep? @JWardell suggests that this should take only 15 minutes unless you're running Sentry Mode. But I do not run sentry mode when at home and make takes several hours (well after I go to bed) before it finally shuts off.

CptPizzo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
I have my Radar detector on the red wire coming down from what I assume is VC left (basically the wire that comes from the now occupied spot for newer models) and am concerned with this "constant on" issue. However, I think if your radar detector has an auto off feature, this really obviates the need to rewire.

That said, my radar detector seems to turn off after 15 minutes or so and its auto off seems to be around 1 hour, so I am not sure if the wire I tapped is VC left? or if VC left still switches? I'll have to do some research and get back to you all on the wire I tapped, etc....

todd2fst4u

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have my Radar detector on the red wire coming down from what I assume is VC left (basically the wire that comes from the now occupied spot for newer models) and am concerned with this "constant on" issue. However, I think if your radar detector has an auto off feature, this really obviates the need to rewire.

That said, my radar detector seems to turn off after 15 minutes or so and its auto off seems to be around 1 hour, so I am not sure if the wire I tapped is VC left? or if VC left still switches? I'll have to do some research and get back to you all on the wire I tapped, etc....
That wire no longer switches.

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Somewhere way way back in this thread I posted a video on the thicker blue wire tap. It still switches. May take up to 30-45 mins but it definitely switches off but SENTRY must be off by control or by location. I am on 2020.20.12 and it still turns off, just verified again, and has never stopped with the Sentry conditions I described.

Easy test. Have car in darker area. Plug something into the round 12v jack (aka cigarette lighter) that has a visual indicator/LED. Be sure Sentry is off. Walk away, don't ping car, no TesliFi or others. Look back in an hour.

Idkorcare

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The power outlet (blue wire) and vc_left both are basically working the same and mirroring the penthouse which is on if the car isnt asleep. Sentry, cabin overheat protection, and any battery conditioning will keep the car awake and all of those on.

i tapped a relay off a brown wire at the back of the center console that powers the center console lighting and currently this works exactly like vc_left use to but you have to use a relay and some others had issues getting it to work.

Attachments

eXntrc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree with the brown wire route that @Idkorcare suggests. Don't forget the relay as this is not going to carry a load. I finally got around to doing this in my car too and it's keeping my big sound system off when I exit the car. You can read some details about how I put a relay on it here.