How-To Here's how to safely tap 12v power for add-ons

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Ingineer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For those of you looking for a nice switched 12v output for add-on accessories in your 3, I have found a good safe place to attach. See my YouTube video.

See the video's description for more details on this as well.

If you want a non-switched line for a dashcam, you can tap the yellow wire that feeds the overhead light/hazard switch console. The black wire on the opposite corner is ground.

Last edited:

dannyskim

For those of you looking for a nice switched 12v output for add-on accessories in your 3, I have found a good safe place to attach. See my YouTube video. If you aren't interested in all the electronics geekery, skip to 5:00:

See the video's description for more details on this as well.

If you want a non-switched line for a dashcam, you can tap the yellow wire that feeds the overhead light/hazard switch console. The black wire on the opposite corner is ground.
Video is now unavailable.

Ingineer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
10A continuous, 15A peak, no fuse needed unless you have wire that will not handle a 15A overload. The car will disconnect power from this pin if you exceed 15A.

Ingineer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you want always-on for a dashcam (not recommended), then the best location is to pull out the overhead console with the hazard button and map lights. Feeding that you will see a yellow wire on the corner of that connector (pin 1), that is +12 hot always. If you need ground, the black wire on pin 16 is good. Don't pull over 1A from this circuit though!

lairdb

Country
Country
@Ingineer, you're doing amazing work for the community -- I hate to keep asking... but:

I see a very similar connector on VCRIGHT; would love to know if that offers a switched or constant; also whether you see good switched or constant in the center console area

(Yes, I could route a wire from VCLEFT or VCRIGHT, though running all the way from the overhead console is probably prohibitive.)

Ranova

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What do you think about using the source in the video below and a buck-booster for a constant 12v? I was going to attempt it this weekend for my blackvue

With your locations, do you believe this might apply as well (from the video):

Note: I have not tested this long-term, but my guess is that the car won't be "surprised" by a power draw connecting to either of these locations since they are downstream from the power distribution system. Bypassing the power distribution system by connecting directly to the 12V battery has given some people errors (from what I've read on forums) since the car detects any voltage drop at the battery (other than it's own usage) as a problem with the battery.

Ingineer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would not tap there. Clearly VCFRONT cuts power to VCRIGHT when the car goes to sleep, so drawing power from here may cause issues. I would just stick with a 12v output and not mess with a converter. (The yellow lead in the overhead console I already mentioned).

I also checked out out VCRIGHT for possible connections and didn't find anything spare like VCLEFT has.

Ranova

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would not tap there. Clearly VCFRONT cuts power to VCRIGHT when the car goes to sleep, so drawing power from here may cause issues. I would just stick with a 12v output and not mess with a converter. (The yellow lead in the overhead console I already mentioned).

I also checked out out VCRIGHT for possible connections and didn't find anything spare like VCLEFT has.
Thanks, can you make a video showing removal of the overhead console and where to tap for constant 12v?

Defjukie

Country
Country
If you want always-on for a dashcam (not recommended), then the best location is to pull out the overhead console with the hazard button and map lights. Feeding that you will see a yellow wire on the corner of that connector (pin 1), that is +12 hot always. If you need ground, the black wire on pin 16 is good. Don't pull over 1A from this circuit though!
Just curious, why do you not recommend hooking up an always-on dadhcam?

Ingineer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because depending on current consumption it could discharge the AGM enough shorten it's life. Tesla will check the logs and likely deny warranty on i if so.. If it's a really light load, it shouldn't be a problem, but there are a wide range of dashcams and some are pretty hungry.

96s46p

Country
Country
Where does vcsec get its power from?

Vcright also has the direct dc/dc output from the pcs on a jumper lug correct?

Last edited: