Here is why i want an AM radio

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Possible solution:

Why Electric Cars Are Ditching AM Radio
BMW i3 and Tesla Model X don't offer terrestrial AM radio because of electromagnetic interference.

The last time I tried it, I think the AM radio in my Leaf worked OK, so who knows if that's legit.
Problem is, AM works fine in the Model S. There are technologies to suppress RFI. Your portable solutions would not work because they are not engineered to suppress RFI. And c'mon, the antenna (ferrite core) for that AM radio is internal. Which would be inside the car. Which would not work due to RFI.

Last edited:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Problem is, AM works fine in the Model S. There are technologies to suppress RFI. Your portable solutions would not work because they are not engineered to suppress RFI. And c'mon, the antenna (ferrite core) for that AM radio is internal. Which would be inside the car. Which would not work due to RFI.
I've used the AM radio in the S. It pops and hisses and doesn't sound ideal. No doubt if it were available on the 3, people would complain about the quality. It's a no-win situation.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've used the AM radio in the S. It pops and hisses and doesn't sound ideal. No doubt if it were available on the 3, people would complain about the quality. It's a no-win situation.
Not sure it's no-win. Having it certainly is a win. My experience is in the south Orange County, CA area, and the main L.A./OC stations for sports (Dodgers, Ducks, Lakers) and news (KNX) all sound acceptable. KNX in fact frequently is in HD, which of course has no background noise at all. And those low-power "Tune to xxxx AM" stations indeed are received clear enough to get the information they are trying to convey.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Not sure it's no-win. Having it certainly is a win. My experience is in the south Orange County, CA area, and the main L.A./OC stations for sports (Dodgers, Ducks, Lakers) and news (KNX) all sound acceptable. KNX in fact frequently is in HD, which of course has no background noise at all. And those low-power "Tune to xxxx AM" stations indeed are received clear enough to get the information they are trying to convey.
It's no-win because for every 99 reasonable people like you and me, there be be one person who insists that the quality is not acceptable and there is no fix for this. Then it blows up as "Tesla releases substandard product that can't be fixed and tells owners to live with it."

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
maybe it is a regional issue, but most everywhere that I drive, instead of the reader boards advising of an issue and directing people to tune to an AM station, they just give the info out directly on the board. Takes no more characters to give a description or license plate number than to advise to tune to a radio station.

also, alerts go out by cell flash alerts here too (does that not happen everywhere?)

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
maybe it is a regional issue, but most everywhere that I drive, instead of the reader boards advising of an issue and directing people to tune to an AM station, they just give the info out directly on the board. Takes no more characters to give a description or license plate number than to advise to tune to a radio station.

also, alerts go out by cell flash alerts here too (does that not happen everywhere?)
Were that the way it is everywhere, I'd agree. But the "tune to xxxx AM" is far more common in the US than you might think. Amber alerts are general and statewide. Road condition and local critical information conveyed by the low power stations are not.

And again, in sparsely populated areas, cell coverage would preclude you receiving ANYTHING - no text alerts, no TuneIn.

Folks, this is a safety issue. And I think far more people will be upset to find no AM than those who would complain about not having totally pristine AM reception.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For those who really want it, you can pick up a portable AM radio for $12 from Amazon that's the size of a pack of cards.
The giant center console will hold it easily. Powered by USB, so no batteries to worry about.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I didn’t know anyone tuned into those alerts ;)
Exactly - I've been driving for quite a long time and have never used them or any other AM based source. Don't know anyone that uses them either.
AM alert and traffic information has been replaced in most places (other than US) with FM based systems like RDS.
Now pretty much all that information is now available digitally where its more effective.
Traffic information is in your nav, amber alerts etc are on the phone.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Exactly - I've been driving for quite a long time and have never used them or any other AM based source. Don't know anyone that uses them either.
AM alert and traffic information has been replaced in most places (other than US) with FM based systems like RDS.
Now pretty much all that information is now available digitally where its more effective.
Traffic information is in your nav, amber alerts etc are on the phone.
Let's see how this plays out as the M3 gets into more hands. Just because you haven't tuned to them doesn't obviate their use by others. And you ignore cellular deserts, which are not uncommon.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For those who really want it, you can pick up a portable AM radio for $12 from Amazon that's the size of a pack of cards.
The giant center console will hold it easily. Powered by USB, so no batteries to worry about.

Really? Try using it in the M3 while driving. Let us know how that works out for ya.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Really? Try using it in the M3 while driving. Let us know how that works out for ya.
Well, someone who really wants AM radio in their Model 3 *should* try this solution. It might work well enough to be a workaround to not having an AM radio built-in.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, someone who really wants AM radio in their Model 3 *should* try this solution. It might work well enough to be a workaround to not having an AM radio built-in.
As someone who has a Model 3, I can assure you that a ferrite core antenna inside the vehicle will not receive jack. Now, if you add "use that AM radio by stopping the car and exiting the vehicle," you'd be right.

Again, let's see what happens when Tesla neophytes get their M3s and start really kicking the tires on road trips. Let the market decide who's right on this issue.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As someone who has a Model 3, I can assure you that a ferrite core antenna inside the vehicle will not receive jack. Now, if you add "use that AM radio by stopping the car and exiting the vehicle," you'd be right.

Again, let's see what happens when Tesla neophytes get their M3s and start really kicking the tires on road trips. Let the market decide who's right on this issue.
You’re in a mood, huh?