Here are your spaceship controls

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Gloves. One thing I noticed in decades of watching MotorWeek is how they often speak of the tactile feedback of the controls in a center console of a vehicle. They also point out with regularity how large knobs, buttons, and sliders make it easier to operate controls while wearing gloves in frigid climes. Apparently that is a very important point to people who live in places where they actually experience winter. That show is based in Maryland, but I think they might spend some testing time in New York and Ohio from time-to-time. It seems that automotive interior designers from Detroit have that as a primary theme, and that certainly shows in their designs from the 1990s on. But I honestly don't even remember the last time I saw snow, or had to scrape ice off a window -- because where I've lived, any ice that had formed overnight melted with the sunrise anyway. It would be nice to know if the touchscreen in the Model 3 can be used while wearing gloves, since that is apparently the norm for a whole lot of people during Winter months.
Gloves. Only needed for clearing the car of "the white stuff". Once inside it will be warm enough to take gloves off, throw them on the dashboard to dry (perhaps not the best idea...).
Talking from -20c winters here in Finland...

ReD eXiLe

Country
Country
Early mornings where I am now typically might be as low as around 12° F (-11° C) in late December to mid January. If it snows at all, it usually will be melting before noon, turning to slush. The worst situations here would typically be ice on the car when parked outside. Overnight, temperatures drop well below freezing, but climb above that during the day in Winter. Rarely are we in the 'sweet spot' where snow falls. Instead it is either muddy roads or rock hard icy ones.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I remember some years ago, when NOKIA's Windows phones first debuted, one of the selling points in its favor was that it could be operated while using gloves, despite its touchscreen. I've not had an opportunity to check those devices or any other using gloves since. So I don't know if it is a common feature now or not.

The sensitivity of capacitive touch screens can be increased enought to work through gloves. You can't do this with smartphone or else your leg would activate it through your pockets. But automotive touch screen usually are set more sensitive and work with some gloves. Many also have options to increase the sensitivity and will even work from a cm away without touching the screen.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, how do you drive one of these things?

If you can't look at the screen how do you know speed limit and other data for proper driving?
Out of curiosity -- why can't you look at the screen? Side note question back for you -- in a car with a traditional binnacle how ofter do you look at the speed? Last point -- whether you're looking down or down and slightly right, your eyes are off the road.

I know this topic was all the rage before the car came out but it's absolutely a non-issue.

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Out of curiosity -- why can't you look at the screen? Side note question back for you -- in a car with a traditional binnacle how ofter do you look at the speed? Last point -- whether you're looking down or down and slightly right, your eyes are off the road.

I know this topic was all the rage before the car came out but it's absolutely a non-issue.

Just earlier in the thread many were saying you should not be taking your eyes off the road...this does not have a heads up display so seems impossible to drive without taking your eyes off the road...rather inane IMO!

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just earlier in the thread many were saying you should not be taking your eyes off the road...this does not have a heads up display so seems impossible to drive without taking your eyes off the road...rather inane IMO!
Having my car since February, I don't notice any difference now between a quick glance down and right to my MPH on the screen versus my old car where it was a quick glance down between the steering wheel. You really do get used to it quite quickly! At least in my humble opinion. :)
Another thing I notice is that I don't always have to look down at the speed. I've just gotten used to how the car feels and can generally tell how fast I'm going by the sound/feeling. Not saying it's overly loud or has too much movement, it's just something I think you also can get used to.

Country
Country

When checking your speed, you have no choice but to take your eyes off the road whether it be slightly down at the binnacle or slightly right and down at the Model 3’s screen.

The only way to achieve not having to take your eyes off the road is for the speedometer to be in your face, which then becomes a hazard since it then blocks your view of the road.

Under that same reasoning, you shouldn’t be looking at your side or rear view mirrors either.

It’s much harder to adjust to riding a bike without the training wheels, but everyone is able to adapt.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...many were saying you should not be taking your eyes off the road...
Quote them please so we know which posts you're talking about.
this does not have a heads up display so seems impossible to drive without taking your eyes off the road...rather inane IMO!
What are you calling inane?
  1. The fact that people think you should never take your eyes off the road to look at a speedometer, or
  2. The fact that this car requires you to take your eyes off the road to see your speedometer?

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

1. The fact that people think you should never take your eyes off the road to look at a speedometer, or
  2. The fact that this car requires you to take your eyes off the road to see your speedometer?

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I just thought he forgot the S and was over here singing Cypress Hill. ;)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Right that was my point. I still don’t think a heads up display is necessary at all either. I infrequently check my speed. It’s a mix of feel for your car and keeping up with the flow of traffic more than staring at a speedo.

When checking your speed, you have no choice but to take your eyes off the road whether it be slightly down at the binnacle or slightly right and down at the Model 3’s screen.

The only way to achieve not having to take your eyes off the road is for the speedometer to be in your face, which then becomes a hazard since it then blocks your view of the road.

Under that same reasoning, you shouldn’t be looking at your side or rear view mirrors either.

It’s much harder to adjust to riding a bike without the training wheels, but everyone is able to adapt.
Yes this!