Help! On FOURTH charge port latch assembly

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The locking pin that locks the charger in the port is supposed to clear the square hole in the port when inserting and removing the charger. After the SC replaced the latch assembly with the updated part with new seals to prevent freezing there has been issues. The locking and unlocking actions of charging are all working as should. Not actual faults/software issues, but the locking pin will not clear the charge port to allow you to remove the charger. The SC has now replaced this part 3 times. Each time it working at the SC, and within a couple sleep wake cycles, it protrudes more and more and intermittently will not clear the hole and will not let the charger out without using the manual cable release. Something is causing a short or something and even the SC can’t figure it out. Any thought?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear of this, but the SC is likely the only one that can address this. Does pulling the inside cable help release the charge cable?

You might consider a poll to see if others are having this trouble. If that is of interest and you can't add it after the fact a moderator can help. This might help know if this is a widespread problem or not.

I'd heard there was a possible replacement to this and likely a thread I'm not taking the time to search for, but I'm sure you aren't likely the only one to have this replaced.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you get a whole new Charge port each time (or first time) or just the locking pin assembly each time?

I just got my whole charge port replaced and seems ok. Only have charged on a Wall Connector and UMC so far though. Maybe I should test a couple SuperChargers.

I wonder if the "replacement PIN" (designed for older Rev) isn't correct for the new Rev Charge Port?

Either way, I'd ask that the replace the whole charge port regardless of the past, since something is obviously not right.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The SC helped out a lot.

It was a part issue. And yes it was the latch assembly part installed each time. I’m now on the fifth latch assembly. The supplier was shipping this part dry with no lubrication at all and it was seizing internally and not fully actuating. And I must of gotten the same batch of latch assemblies installed each time, each time seizing. An eye opener, this occurred after the new latch assembly with better o rings and seals was installed to prevent freezing like with many 2018 made vehicles owned in Canada.

Anyone getting the updated part should be aware of this potential issue, because the qc on lube and the part in general is being missed by the supplier. This is a known issue now to Tesla so I’m sure they are working things out with the supplier but I wasn’t so lucky.

All good now, it has been resolved. Any 2018 model year with older latch assembly being retrofitted be aware!

Thanks